Racer To Rabbitter...

Having read a few discussions on here regarding using track dogs out in the field, I thought I'd document the transition for my own greyhound as I attempt to teach him how to hunt. With little experience of doing this, any help is greatly accepted.

My theory is that the hunting instinct is there (I'm lucky enough to have been to the Waterloo Cup and witnessed this myself, albeit on different quarry), so why not try to give my ex racer a new job that he enjoys instead of him resorting to quiet walks in the park and a life on the sofa watching countdown with his very appreciative owner.

Whilst many people will no doubt tell me I need a lurcher, I've seen many racehorses retrained to excell in other areas of equestrianism with some success. If the same can be done with track dogs, surely this might eleviate the problem facing many racing greyhounds and their connections in the twilight of their careers.

So, I introduce Stumpy. Aka You Healthy Man. I was the very proud owner of this guy in conjunction with his trainer for the majority of his career that yielded thirteen victories at a couple of echelons below top grade. The form figures don't tell the full tale however as three of his wins came within seven days after a lengthy lay off due to a fractured hock.

Reaching his fifth birthday and dropping a couple of grades, we decided to call it a day and bring him home. After a few toilet based stumbling blocks, a broken toe due to being over friendly with a terrier on a walk and letting him know which one of us is supposed to sleep In the bed - he has settled into life after racing very well.

In his spare time, he enjoys running around the garden like a lunatic, pacing up and down the house and randomly barking. In other words, Stumpy needs a handy little part time job in retirement. So if anyone can put forward any ideas on how he can be retrained, please feel free to help.

Step one has come this weekend with the arrival of Crash and Bandicoot, our new polecats. Stumpy has attacked thier two storey hutch several times, so any help on breaking him to ferrets would be a good starting place.

Please feel free to point Stumpy, Crash and Bandicoot in the right direction and I shall endeavour to record our progress, should there be any!

Thanks in advance. post-92878-0-81071700-1411907587_thumb.jpgpost-92878-0-70523700-1411907600_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Can you let the dog off a lead and call it back? If not I'd start there...

You need to break him to the ferrets and livestock first, other wise his first ferreting trip might be his last....I wouldn't fancy the challenge myself...But I'm sure you will get some good advise from others on here who may or may not have been successful in stock breaking 5 year old ex racers...

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

A good few year ago I kept a hound I retired from raceing he took to rabbiting no problem had to work a bit on the retrieving he didint like giving his rabbits up but got there in the end he could catch rabbits for fun and had his fair share of long ears (pre ban) never got used to ferrets but took him ferreting quite a lot but you had to watch him as ferrets were fair game to him in the end a big hob latched onto his nose and he was wary of them after that people go on about there feet but he never had a problem didint take much to stock brakein him all in all he turned out a good hunting companyin and liked nowt better than to curl up on the corner of the sofa when he got home had him till he was 10 years old.

Had a good friend who had an ex track dog when he first got her she was wild would attack any dog smaller than her, once he took her back to basic training she turned into one of the best Fox dogs i have ever seen, she would also take rabbit but abit hard mouthed also took hare not so good on deer. Had the heart of a lion but the brains of a gold fish.

Atb with yours and keep us updated

as said earlier start as if it were a pup. basic commands ,stock breaking, recall etc. the instinct to "chase and catch" will be there, you just need to put the rest in. no reason it shouldn't do well as long as you put the time in.

ferrets are something else. you have to teach him to leave them be. that may cost you a ferret or two

Edited by robs5230