Light was just fading, tonight. I decided I'd feed the Dogs before it did and opened the door.

Out they poured, into the kitchen. Pushing and giggling. I followed them and just shot a glance at one of my traps, to see a robin on top of it!

" Ooh! Get In There! " I thought. Then ..... Hang about. He can't get in there! Bloody door's down! And, yes! There's something in there! "

Sorry, Dogs. Back ye come! In here a minute. (Confused little faces. But, they're good Dogs) Lock the door on them and out I go.

Dunnock. Treat! I like dunnocks! Fetched it in here and flushed it into my catching box. Took it out of there and ..... Bonus! It's not ringed! :boogy:

Bloody soon sorted That out! :D Ringed. Winged. Couldn't resist a swift snap shot. Weighed and out we went. Well away from the kitchen light and that glass door.

Let it go and; Flutter Lop! :icon_eek: It's little wings whirred as it dropped to the grass! I Have Abso Lutely Shit Myself!!! What in gods name have I done to this poor little bird?!

Picked it up and examined it, as it gripped onto my fingers. Unconsciously checked its wings and tail for moult.

Watched it breath. Ran through my options of how to take care of it for the night. IF it didn't just f**king die, right there on my hand!

Part of me's holding it together. Leafing through the strategies for holding a bird over night. The pro's and con's. The stuff we need to absorb, as Ringers.

The other part's panting; " Oh my god! Oh my god! I don't f**king believe this!!! " But, I'm blanking that part. I need to think.

" Whirrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! " And the little bugger's gone! I watched it, perfectly clearly, as it flew strongly away and up into some nice cover a fair way off! Fan F**king Tastic!!! :toast:

Straight on the phone, to the boss. Yes. Seems dunnocks can be prone to this. They knacker themselves in short order and, occasionally, just need a couple of minutes to get their shit back together again.

Thank god for that! Something new learned. And, thank god I have a walking, talking encyclopaedia of Ringing knowledge, just the press of a button away! :yes:

Now, before I forget completely:

Dear Little Thing!

PB300112_zps8b040b7c.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Light was just fading, tonight. I decided I'd feed the Dogs before it did and opened the door.   Out they poured, into the kitchen. Pushing and giggling. I followed them and just shot a glance at on

Well done Pete and a happy ending,i had a youngster bump a window a couple of years ago and after 10 mins it happily flew off again. Just relooking at these pics and in fact do you think it's a

it tried to fly off but was stuck to the shit on your fingers only messin mate I love dunnocks real characters of the hedgerow

Posted Images

Well done Pete and a happy ending,i had a youngster bump a window a couple of years ago and after 10 mins it happily flew off again.

Picture825.jpg

Picture824-1.jpg

Picture823-1.jpg

Just relooking at these pics and in fact do you think it's a young robin instead of a dunnock Pete?.

• Like 1

Well done Pete and a happy ending,i had a youngster bump a window a couple of years ago and after 10 mins it happily flew off again.

Picture825.jpg

Picture824-1.jpg

Picture823-1.jpg

Just relooking at these pics and in fact do you think it's a young robin instead of a dunnock Pete?.

:yes: that would be my guess :thumbs:

Picture825.jpg

Picture824-1.jpg

Picture823-1.jpg

now you mention a robin you have got me thinking but im sure I can see some black flecks on its wings mate on yours in the first pic and the same on petes

Edited by budharley

It's 100% a dunnock......when i used to keep birds it was always a buzz to enter the aviary and see that first deep turquise egg nestled in a dog-hair cup. cracking birds, but mostly flighty, though I did have one that was very steady. Great pics.

• Like 1