Driving Fields

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give it a thumbs down... dog men talk of testing the dog.. well as far as i see it you chase the rabbit/hare/fox down then throw the dog out the window at 20+ mph   not very sporting is it if th

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they ha

not with dog, gun or a 4x4.. maybe a field or two across from were i am ment to be (longnet)....   i know farmers that would trench the field if people started on there with 4x4.. i have already bee

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ......

• Like 13

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ......

I have, and still do, both walking and driving...

Had decent numbers either way :thumbs:

I have, and still do, both walking and driving...

Had decent numbers either way :thumbs:

Same here. As I said in my first post both have a time and a place. Atb

• Like 2

I prefer to walk, but years ago did do a lot of roadsiding with my old dogs way preban. Not driving the land as such, just running dogs from van/roadside and you cant beat it for the amount of gear you will see in a night. Its has its place like everything in life when done right and respect,ively :thumbs:

That's what I do mainly if you have a good dog you shouldn't need to even enter the field just slip from the road.

Also the best fox catching team I've ever seen was a bull x a motor driver and blitz. Floor matt over the passenger window dog on the passenger seat driver lamping. Hell of a team.

On some of the big stumbles around here though you need to get into the fields to keep up with a run. Atb

We do loads by motor but never in the field we drive and slip over a gates and what ever but tbh I walk at least 3 lamp session a week anyway which I enjoy much more. Catch seems more worth it after trekking with lamp and mutt in tow.
  • Like 2

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ..... tell the dogs that when their on their 4th buck or 5th fox that you would e pushed to put in front of them walking :laugh:

Tell the dogs that when their on their 5/6th fox or 4th buck that you wouldn't put in front of them walking , I like a walk but to say driving is no way hunting is a wee bit silly

• Like 5

Well said, the lads who walk have the best and most tested dogs :victory:

• Like 1

fact

fact

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::victory:

• Like 1

Personaly i would say a dog is more taxed on foot as it has to make more distance up rather than being flung out of a car window on something that has been chased around the field to tire it out..and while the the dog is on foot it has to cover in the region of 30mile or more on a good night's lamping...where a dog that has been driven around will have to run and walk less than half that distance in a night..and above all that you will keep yourself half fit in the process of going it on foot..

• Like 2

That's the most load of bollox av ever heard FACT

• Like 1

Personaly i would say a dog is more taxed on foot as it has to make more distance up rather than being flung out of a car window on something that has been chased around the field to tire it out..and while the the dog is on foot it has to cover in the region of 30mile or more on a good night's lamping...where a dog that has been driven around will have to run and walk less than half that distance in a night..and above all that you will keep yourself half fit in the process of going it on foot..

Well said millet :victory:

That's the most load of bollox av ever heard FACT

Have you seen the helicopter video footage of lads from your area? here it is :victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgEvJKZT1E