Chrono Help And Advice

I have a pro digital chrono .I used it for the first time last week at our shooting club .it would not work indoors but our outdoor range in winter/spring is shot from a converted barn .So I climbed out my booth and set the chrono on a table it was 6 to maybe 8 feet from the muzzle. It worked flawlessly I did a 10 shot string with two rifles one averaged 765fps the other 775fps.In .177.My question is was the chrono to far away from the muzzle.would I have got faster speeds if it was nearer.What is the optimal distance away to test a rifle over a chrono.Cheers

I have a skan chrono and instructions say 10" away for sub 12 flb and 12-14" for fac rifles.

I know sum makes dont know which ones but they don't like the fluorescent light muzzle blast should just reed as a miss or error. But being 10 feet away will always give you a lesser reeding than being 1 foot away hope this helps

Phil

The police use Skan chronos mate hence the reason I bought mine, at least if you're using the same type they're gonna test your rifle on you won't be far away

Darryl

Oh no they don't, nobody knows what they use. Since the police have shut their forensics laboratories the people who do the testing could use a 2 yard bit of kicker elastic and a well read copy of Playboy for all you know!

There are no defined procedures, no defined or approved test equipment and no approved or defined test pellets. There have been many threads on this problem. I use a Combro as it provides repeatable results due to the nature of the beast (ie sitting virtually on top of the muzzle).

Phil

The police use Skan chronos mate hence the reason I bought mine, at least if you're using the same type they're gonna test your rifle on you won't be far away

Darryl

Oh no they don't, nobody knows what they use. Since the police have shut their forensics laboratories the people who do the testing could use a 2 yard bit of kicker elastic and a well read copy of Playboy for all you know!

There are no defined procedures, no defined or approved test equipment and no approved or defined test pellets. There have been many threads on this problem. I use a Combro as it provides repeatable results due to the nature of the beast (ie sitting virtually on top of the muzzle).

OH YES THEY DO......

I have proof in B&W!!

After my "incident" and all my rifles were tested they were done by a qualified FAO with quals in the use of a MK10 Skan chronograph and the use of Police chronolog software of which a printout and a copy of the qualifications was produced.

As much as you like to comment on everything, this is something I have first hand experience of so I suggest you get your facts right

Darryl

• Like 3

Yes i have also heard from Tony that the police use Skans and PM1 chronoes to test with.

I believe they are coming around to using the PM 1 a bit more now especially in the West Mids area but Darryl is correct in what he is saying Mike :yes: .

• Like 3

The Police use clearly defined proceedures Mike. The Law demands that they do. I can assure you the forensics labs use several well known brands of pellet that bring out the performance of an air rifle in question very well. AND They will use more than one single Chrono type/make of, to get a true average performance reading if necessary.

One pellet they used for years was Eley Wasps until, they started appearing in shit-order as they are now. The old wasp was a very consistant velocity performer down most barrels. I personally loved them for my Webley rifles over the years. They maxed the rifles performance superbly and very accurately!

To state that there are no clearly defined proceedures/pellets/equipment used by the police is dangerously misleading mate, sorry! Otherwise a half decent Defence Barrister could easily close down a prosecution case on the grounds of unreliable evidence and improper application of an unregulated series of proceedures that would be deemed inadmissable to the court!

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 4

This looks good lol I also know that the Warwickshire police use skan to so does the northants and Leicestershire police

Hope this helps buddy if any concerns your local rfd will also chrono your gun and print a certificate off for you

Shay

Phil

Darryl

Where did you read this. Ive noticed on a few sites youve not one thing decent to say are you old and board?

The Skan may be popular with the police, but it is not Home Office approved as there is NO Home Office approved Chrono.

Please understand that there may be equipment the Police like and common in use, that however does not make it approved.

Similarly there may be common pellets used in testing, however there is no list of approved testing pellets.

Furthermore there is no legally specified testing procedure. There cannot be, if there is no approved equipment there cannot be an approved procedure, because what works for one make of chrono may not work for another make of chrono! Some have the facility to compile shot strings, some do not!

This is one of the things that makes our sport legally so dangerous, Fakemall Laboratories could even go so far as to use you gun in a manner you would not (in the case of HW 100 rifles run it so far down the air that it can go hot, a noted problem), indeed they could even go so far as to alter the gun to make it more powerful than 12 ft lb (it has happened to at least one person in the air rifle industry - in the end he was prosecuted for having some left over ammunition from a government supplied contract rather than having an air rifle over 12 ft lb as it was proved the lab did alter the gun).

This is what rather a lot of people in the sport have been trying to draw attention to. You need to have an approved list of testing equipment and an approved procedure or each piece of testing equipment in order to have a level playing field that is fair to both sides!