mole control

Guest tawny

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxtrack just catching the end of this by the looks

I contol moles on approx 4,000 acres my work methods vary on different terains such as football pitches golf courses and cemeteries my main area is hill farmland,I use mainly gas and have used both talunex and phostoxin I find phostoxin more effective and easier to get hold off,however the talunex applicator can sometimes be easier to use.

I only use dufus traps of which own 140 give or take a few that brock has nicked

I have designed my chainharrows which tow behind the quad or truck,I harrow the field off before starting any treatment just treating the fresh molehills also the customer and I can see how effective the treatment is,I always explain the fact that by killing the one mole that is the end of the treatment there is always the possibility of egress by other moles no matter what treatment you are doing traps or gas.Traps are a good way of showing cutomers success but also so is no molehills.

Looked in to a rodenator but was told the following and came to my own conclusions

on here when I asked about them somebody said that they are illegal to use if something is in the ground ????????

Moles are not always in the holes runs you could be blowing part of the field golf course football field up without success only to be called back a day later to blow more of the field up again :whistling:

it aint got to be done in the dry thats what it says on the cans moisture

cant realy get into the aplicator so i dont think thats a prob

all i ask is what do the boys think best talunex or phostoxin

Just a question from a non mole catcher,surely if you was using the gas in the rain it would mix with the poison and give off a cloud of toxins,with which you would be dead.so surely it is best to use it when the weather is dry?.If its a daft question then sorry,but as i said i have never gased moles.

piss off you dick :yes:

Why am i a dick for asking a question?i said i know nothing about mole catching.

Why am i a dick for asking a question?i said i know nothing about mole catching.

Bigeddie, like foxtrack said he knows all the answers and meer mortals like you and I are not worthy in the face of his vast knowledge. i bow down in the face of such greatness :notworthy::notworthy:

As for you being a dick bigeddie for asking a question, well i suppose without the questions knowledge wouldnt get passed from person to person. One thing ive learnt from this debate is this, after over 20 odd yrs earning my living from pestcontrol i seem to know shit. with this in mind i feel it only right and proper i close my bussines and make way for those who know all the answers to their own questions as after 20 or so yrs ive been shown to be wanting when compared to others. anyone want to buy a 1000plus traps? :doh:

CAN I JUST ANSWER THE BPCA AND NPTA QUESTION THAT MOLE CATCHER ASKED.

IS NOT £70 AS STATED BY JAMES, BUT IS MORE A % OF WHAT YOUR COMPANY EARNS PER YEAR TO JOIN. THE BOTTOM FIGURE TO JOIN PER YEAR IS IN EXCESS OF £ 350 A YEAR THIS IS WHAT I WAS QUATED 3 YEAR AGO WHEN I WENT ON MY OWN.

I HAD ALREADY PUT AN ADD IM MY LOCAL YELLOW PAGES WITH THE BPCA LOGO ON AS I AM QUALIFEID BY THEM . BUT UN BEKNOWN TO ME WAS YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER TO USE THERE LOGO :icon_redface: THEY JUST TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT AGAIN . AND SENT ME A LOAD OF LITRATURE ON BECOMING A MEMBER.

FOR ME PERSONLY THERE WAS NOTHING TO GAIN , AND £350 TO LOOSE , NO WAY I CAN OF COURSE PUT ON ADVERTS THAT I AM BPCA QUALIFIED , BUT NOT USE THERE LOGO.

AS FOR GAS V TRAPS. TRAPS EVRY TIME. AND AS WAS STATED EIRLIER BOTH USE ALIMNIUM PHOSPHINE

Thanks TOMO. so its not just a case of take your money and take your chances then as i first thought, your aloud to show a logo on your ads and van :hmm:

hell thats good value for over 300squid. but i would love to know more about the follow up measures that they do to make sure the signed companys are following their penned guied lines.

any twat can join the bpca or the npta, (not that they all are), but theres a few. I passed The Royal Society for the Promotion of Health exam, level two, with distinction, I've got certificates from Killgerm, Network, Adas, NPTC, DMQ , Lantra, Datas, what does that make me? A know all b*****d, but it dos'nt make me a pest controller, there are people on this forum who have forgotten more than these courses can teach you, all they do is teach you to cover your ass, and the bpca also do a course in helping you to get as much money as you can out of your customer, nice a ! AS for gas, maybe there is a time and place, but i'll never use it again, and I will believe no-one who says it's better or more cost effective than trapping.

any twat can join the bpca or the npta, (not that they all are), but theres a few. I passed The Royal Society for the Promotion of Health exam, level two, with distinction, I've got certificates from Killgerm, Network, Adas, NPTC, DMQ , Lantra, Datas, what does that make me? A know all b*****d, but it dos'nt make me a pest controller, there are people on this forum who have forgotten more than these courses can teach you, all they do is teach you to cover your ass, and the bpca also do a course in helping you to get as much money as you can out of your customer, nice a ! AS for gas, maybe there is a time and place, but i'll never use it again, and I will believe no-one who says it's better or more cost effective than trapping.

at last some one who has the same view as i do about federations :notworthy:

BTW the NPTA doesn't mean a great deal when anyone who can write a cheque for £70 (ish) can be a member.

The BPCA on the other hand is a form of quality control, with exams for members, audits for the company, quality control checks with customers, and many other measures in place to ensure that the customer gets the job done correctly and safely.

just a couple of pointers here james, you have to have public liability insurance to join the npta , and to get public liability you have to be trained in the use of poisons and traps, my insurer wanted to know what poisons and type of traps i use and where i use them(domestic ,agriculture etc) before they would give me insurance

give us a bit of credit , 400 hills ,most pro molemen will see christ knows how many thousands of mole hills in the couse of a week

• 3 months later...

OK, reading this thread I think I may stir things up, which is not my intention.

Firstly, IMHO, you cannot beat traps for moles (except strychnine). Gassing is expensive, and unreliable, and those of you who proudly shout about your BPCA qualifications should know how to carry out a COSHH assesment prior to use, and when you have done that, you should know that you should use the least toxic method (trapping) first.

When it comes to which is the better product, for my money its Talunex. Its safer to use, and it goes further. As someone else has also stated, it seems to go off quicker (summut to do with surface area) and is therefore IMO better.

Success rates with gas vary according to lots of different factors, including, soil type, weather conditions, and most importantly, territory pressure. The gas is clear after 24 hours, and if there is another mole within spitting distance, he/she will take over the territory, and as far as we are concerned, the treatment has failed. This is where the humble trap has the advantage.

Secondly, re the NPTA/BPCA debate, each has its own merits, but you just need insurance and a cheque book to join NPTA; whereas the BPCA have codes of conduct, and do visit at least once each year. When they visit, they inspect your stores, check your paperwork and record keeping, look at a vehicle, and go and visit at least one job. If you are ballsing up the job, they chuck you out! If a member of the public report a breach in any of the codes of conduct, they investigate and take action. The other thing about the BPCA is that you cannot just join, you have to do a years probation, and your details are published to other members.

I'm a fan of the old methods of pest control, used in combination with the most up-to-date products and, where necessary, pesticides. If there is one thing I've learnt, its that you shouldn't close your mind off to other peoples ideas - sometimes they can be right.

Ive missed the fun here, damn! For my tuppence worh i use traps about 90% of the time but i do gas quite a bit as well. I gas if i think the traps will get nicked ( as long as its safe) and other times as well. I nearly killed myself with gas (talunex) . its a long story but i didnt give it the respect it deserves and i make sure i do now.

Choose the most efficient humane control method after doing the risk assessment.

Gas and a clear up with traps if it a big job works well, just traps if it's just a couple of moles. Talunex flasks contain 160 pellets, Phostoxin 30, Do the Math. Phostoxin every time for rabbits tho. £21 for Talunex £18.50 for Phostoxin. Empty Talunex flasks have to go down the hazardous waste route Phostoxin flasks can be punctured and then burried (at the moment)

Choose the most efficient humane control method after doing the risk assessment.

Gas and a clear up with traps if it a big job works well, just traps if it's just a couple of moles.

You should always choose the least toxic method first, regardless of efficiency, especially as Moles are not public health pests. If it takes a little bit longer to achieve complete control, so be it. After all, no-one is going to be harmed as a result - whereas, the risk when using the most toxic pesticide available as a first choice control method is huge.

Talunex flasks contain 160 pellets, Phostoxin 30, Do the Math. Phostoxin every time for rabbits tho. £21 for Talunex £18.50 for Phostoxin. Empty Talunex flasks have to go down the hazardous waste route Phostoxin flasks can be punctured and then burried (at the moment)

Whoever told you that is wrong. It is now illegal to bury any waste produced as a result of commercial activities.

The original question was which of the two products do users prefer - why not do a poll?