102 replies to this topic

#76 Nots so bad lad

Nots so bad lad

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:32 pm

What is dis appointing the whole country is supposed to be over run with deer and 50 thousand a year needed to be culled just to put a dent in to numbers, as recently covered on country file and constantly on the news and in the papers, so why is it so difficult to get access to shoot them ? for ordinary working class guys? why is it a rich mans sport? money talks simple  as that .dsc 1, and all that, money making again, :yes:  you dont need rabbit stalking exams ? pigeon shooting exams ?

people making money  thats what it is :bye:  :thumbs:  not all land out their has to be paid for on a lease :yes:  door knocking for rabbits and pigeons same land as deer on it ,then so called guides make brass :yes:

#77 Nots so bad lad

Nots so bad lad

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:38 am

I wonder if stalking rats as the same appeal ?

#78 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:34 am

There are many different circumstances i am sure, farmed, forestry grounds, & managed grounds. Some go out & shoot all they see, whether rabbits , fox or deer & it don't take long to wipe an area out if not managed correctly. If abused the resident animals soon wander off to safer havens, or get accustomed to the sight, sound & smell of danger , making themselves scarce.

Managed grounds have costs to cover, winter feed, fuel, planting, etc etc hence the quality stalking & meat . The animals are not there to be wiped out ,or cause suffering to with inexperienced shots , posssibly deer dieing a slow painful death, wasting the meat also. They are there to managed into fine specimens for health , disease free & to cull as required to slow the destruction of any crops , meadows etc they may cause. The idea is not kill everything that be seen !! I for 1 get as much pleasure watching them, in the natural habitat doing there daily thing etc & knowing some well, just as i do tasting them on my fork next to fine veg occasionally.

If only the countryside were filled with all quarry by the dozens as like sheep in the meadows, then things would be different. As i see they are NOT & skill is needed , that takes time  :thumbs:

"The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after." - KING GEORGE VI

A very comprehensive reply Ray and I could not agree more with your sentiments about wiping things out,yes everything has to be managed,and I also agree about the wounding bit as well,HOWEVER charging a chap 40 quid to pull his trigger is not going to improve his bullet placement/shooting skills is it?practice on the range,foxing,shooting rabbits with a .22 ect,and going out with a decent stalker prepared to show our tyro hunter the ropes,all creates a decent grounding, into deer stalking,and if part of that process is going on paid stalks then so be it,yes a stalking fee,yes a fee for the venison,all perfectly acceptable,BUT NOT BEING CHARGED TO PULL YOUR TRIGGER AT THE VERY THING YOU HAVE STRIVED SO HARD TO GET IN FRONT OF ALL MORNING/EVENING,as I have said before, the only thing this serves to do is line the stalkers pockets in addition to a fee already paid,it is a tax pure and simple,and more fool you if you pay it.

#79 shootlodge

shootlodge

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:35 am

What is dis appointing the whole country is supposed to be over run with deer and 50 thousand a year needed to be culled just to put a dent in to numbers, as recently covered on country file and constantly on the news and in the papers, so why is it so difficult to get access to shoot them ? for ordinary working class guys? why is it a rich mans sport? money talks simple  as that .dsc 1, and all that, money making again, :yes:  you dont need rabbit stalking exams ? pigeon shooting exams ?

people making money  thats what it is :bye:  :thumbs:  not all land out their has to be paid for on a lease :yes:  door knocking for rabbits and pigeons same land as deer on it ,then so called guides make brass :yes:

http://www.shootingt...bers_wrong.html < see here

To some ,it is a living, after all its hard work & throughout the winter getting to these areas, not to mention the loading ,mixing & unloading of 25kg sacks,by the dozen ,as you know & costs escalate ,fuel, feed ,equipt as on any deer or any well kept game, on any seasonal hunting, whether duck, pheasant , goose etc. You work , you get paid. ( dont you ?) If there are so many deer , as you say & like rabbits & pigeon in the countryside, then they would be classed as pest/vermin, They are NOT !  Then farmer tennant/ lease holder/ land squire would agree & allow you to cull  as you say like rabbit & pigeon shooting , but fact is fact, they are NOT ! Even some Scotish estates buy trophy deer in , costing ££££'s. 

Would all agree , we all look for the best price & the best option ? if so, next time you wish a stalk ,& if you love the challenge . look at all the options & consider, accomodation, fuel etc to where you stalk & enjoy. All are priced diffrent ,do as you think best ,as all we pay what we are happy to. Some are £80+ £20 shot , others £50 + £50 others £120 , you descide & go with your instinct . :thumbs:

I for one would prefer a fee + shot , some may wish to pay the £100+ flat rate, the choice is yours . (but dont moan after, when there nothing to be seen on unknown grounds ) ;)  Lets not forget also, some do need a guide & experienced hands on , with all practises.  :bye: whether clays, ranges ,syndicate or club, tution costs & if you think it does not have benefits, to get a few lessons or educated in what ever, dont do it  :hmm: Many may not need rabbit or pigeon shooting exams, but this shows the level of understanding when it comes to a different sport , saftey, costs , recognition , calibres & use of, theres doing things on a budget & there again theres doing it right for the long term. :D pigeon bashing & deer stalking are 2 completely different skills with no comparison to each other   :icon_eek:

If there really are that many deer as you claim, we too would need a helping hand, the animals wouldnt need the feed , as they would be thriving without us & we would be begging the more experienced hunters to help us out for FREE !

#80 Nots so bad lad

Nots so bad lad

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:29 pm

I wasnt claiming deer numbers were high what i said their supposed to be high,according to constant reports i have seen plenty of roe the last few years nobody managers these they are free range like rabbits and pigeon thats the point i am making  :bye: and its a shame theirs so much bullshit in access to shoot one :bye: my opinion its made in to a money making elitist  sport :thumbs: out of the hands of the average joe bloggs.i will serve my time and spend whats necessary then find my own ground with deer as i have found land for other vermin  :thumbs: or good mates who already have access  :thumbs:

• charlie caller and 3175darren like this

#81 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:57 pm

Muntjac is a Deer and classed as a pest shot on site NO closed season, and surly there are more Red, Fallow, and Roe than there are Munties?So is it because more money can be earn't out of the other species than a Muntjac that's why people charge for the shot  ETC.ETC

• Nots so bad lad and charlie caller like this

#82 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:10 pm

So essentialy what you are saying then Ray,is that if you dont pay a fee + shot fee then the ground will be barren and the stalking no good then?or at the very least a good chance of it?what utter rubbish,from a personal standpoint it does not affect me as I am lucky enough to have my own FREE stalking,for several different species,and only buy a day if I want to shoot a species not present on my ground ect,maybe I have been extreemly lucky but every day I have booked in the past,have always been good days,I am not saying I got a deer everytime, but pretty much so,and guess what,I never paid to let my rifle off(remarkable I know)and yes ray some do need a guide I quite agree, but please explain to me in laymans terms how releiving some poor sod of some crisp notes everytime he pulls his trigger is going to help him????? over to you Ray.

#83 shootlodge

shootlodge

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:43 pm

Take a few members out on your free deer,with no costs , the penny will soon drop  :thumbs:

• edge007 likes this

#84 leslie harold gedge

leslie harold gedge

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:44 pm

ray my farmers would hit the roof if they new i was feeding the deer and the geese.so its simple your in it to take peoples hard earned money from then them.that can,t be wright when we know we both started out with nothing i did not charge you when i took you on the geese orc
anybody else.they are mates or paying custermas cant be both.and too charge 40 quid for the shot is taking the piss.les

#85 shootlodge

shootlodge

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:50 pm

I agree some seem to go over board on fee's, but there again i do not know everyones circumstances on the deer they have,some areas are managed , some roam & are to be culled as required, all estates/farms are different.

As for taking folk out, fair is fair i do like wise , offers have been placed.

#86 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:34 pm

Take a few members out on your free deer,with no costs , the penny will soon drop  :thumbs:

Yes Ray I understand where you are comming from I am not advocating a free for all, and I have never once suggested that charging a stalking fee/carcass fee was wrong,so let me ask you,lets say a novice with his first cf rifle pays you to take him out foxing for the evening,do you charge him for the shot then,if he has one?if not why not?is it your altruistic nature kicking in or is it that you know even the biggest mug on the planet could not be conned into paying for pulling his trigger on the humble fox,but do enlighten us mate,I look forward to your reply?

#87 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:13 pm

Good Question. :thumbs:

#88 shootlodge

shootlodge

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:35 pm

Yes Ray I understand where you are comming from I am not advocating a free for all, and I have never once suggested that charging a stalking fee/carcass fee was wrong,so let me ask you,lets say a novice with his first cf rifle pays you to take him out foxing for the evening,do you charge him for the shot then,if he has one?if not why not?is it your altruistic nature kicking in or is it that you know even the biggest mug on the planet could not be conned into paying for pulling his trigger on the humble fox,but do enlighten us mate,I look forward to your reply?

There are so may different scenarios to this, & so many other comparisons i cannot speak for all,  i can only say our fee's are reasonable,hence the bookings we have. We would consider a one fee charge or shot fee which ever suits the paid session, if asked & a contact is signed as such.

As for fox v's deer. I know the venison is more palatable !  :laugh: & anyone who manages foxes throughout the year are on a looser.

What ever suits the enquiry /paid stalker, they have the choice. Maybe larger estates or free roaming unmanaged deer paid days can answer that fox querie for you.

We personally feel we encourage any shooting field sport along safe guide lines & not put interested parties or persons off the sport, as many new licence holders can vouch .

ATB  :thumbs:

#89 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:07 pm

But surely Ray,the edible nature of deer compared to fox is not the issue?after all is not a similar outlay in time,fuel,vehicle wear and tear,and taking up personal time involved taking a man foxing,as apposed to stalking,ok we are not shooting deer at night,but other than timings what is the real difference?I would say very little to be honest,they both involve a similar amount of time/effort,and financial input,so why not charge him to have a shot at the fox?not an unreasonable question I think,just to make things crystal clear I am talking about a shot fee,as apposed to a carcass fee,which I have already said is fair enough if the man wants to keep the venison.

• alimac likes this

#90 shootlodge

shootlodge

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 pm

But surely Ray,the edible nature of deer compared to fox is not the issue?after all is not a similar outlay in time,fuel,vehicle wear and tear,and taking up personal time involved taking a man foxing,as apposed to stalking,ok we are not shooting deer at night,but other than timings what is the real difference?I would say very little to be honest,they both involve a similar amount of time/effort,and financial input,so why not charge him to have a shot at the fox?not an unreasonable question I think,just to make things crystal clear I am talking about a shot fee,as apposed to a carcass fee,which I have already said is fair enough if the man wants to keep the venison.

We have non of the outlay you mention in fox outing, others may perhaps  ? We can assist with the lamp or calling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users