How much for a stalk ?

I agree prices CAN be to high, but they aren't always:

I've been out with guys who charge £150+ for an afternoon which includes the shot or shots but not the meat. These guys always put me in front of at least one deer so although it's a lot of money I do understand that land of that quality is rare, the stalker must be skilled, and the land cannot be over pressured by lots of stalking.

I've also been out with guys who charge £80+ per stalk, plus £50 shot fee... and most of the time I'm lucky to even see a deer - they tell me a 1 deer per 3 stalks ratio is standard. So that means £240 + £50 cull fee minimum; £290 to shoot a deer.

So actually the one that at first seems more expensive is better value as its taken you less time and money to shoot a deer.

I do think there should be an offer of some money back if deer aren't even seen as otherwise any joker with a bit of land can take someone on a "ramble with a rifle" and charge silly money for it. (this isn't aimed at hill stalking as I appreciate it's a different game to short stalks in comparatively small areas)

I'm certain the good pro stalkers out there could probably commit to clients at least seeing deer? Though I guess sometimes they are just unfit or noisy or don't do as they're told?

Maybe just an etiquette should be adopted where if the client does everything right but the stalker fails to even show the client a deer after one or two stalks the money is offered back?

As a business move this surely would make sense as personally I don't book after 2 failed stalks so the stalker doesn't get a chance to prove him/herself... If I could go back a third time for free and got a deer I'd be more inclined to book again.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll confess I took folks out for the money and no other reason (thats how a business works as aposed to a charity) and quite honestly if it weren't for being paid I wouldn't have wished to spend anot

I to am lucky to have some good stalking ,although a lot of the luck is brought on by hard work & doing a proper job for the people I stalk for (the last 4 sat mornings I've been fencing ,with 4 m

I guess there's good and bad "clients" though, some are sound and worth helping and some just aint worth the time and some are just well they just have no bloody luck at all lol

Ii don't know why anyone pays or it, there is plenty of land out there you just have to work at it, you may have to travel if there is something you want and it's not in your area.

Yes I have afew miles of land but 12 months ago I got a small 70 acre farm, I made a point of driving past the neighbours farm and waived daily, then I called in, I had some decent cards printed introduced myself said shoot deer next door said did he want me to txt him when in the area, then left kept driving past then called in again said watched load of deer go on his land could I shoot, by then I had got to know him so he said yes, then you do the same next to him, now that block has met up with my original block.

When you pay someone they in turn pay for the land and get it, you don't pay they don't get it.

I know I'm opening up for abuse but I know on this forum someone advertises limited amount of roe buck days, he sells say 20 on here then the rival one he does the same, then a few others and couple abroad, that's a lot of days at £70 a day there are not that many bucks someone is gonna have a blank day or rather a lot are gonna have a blank day. There are probably more on this site that talk and as said above after 2 blank days don't go again, maybe those that charge should have their own page here so reports can be put up. I'm not saying they all do it by the way those who limit the days to single figures that's good, but to have deer managed and make money is a fine Line between the 2.

I don't mean to offend anyone but paying just fuels the fire.

Edited by Philluk
  • Like 1

I do find it strange that when you pay to go out stalking you get charged extra if you actually fire as shot ,I thought that was the purpose of being out stalking.If I take people out I want them to get 1 or 2 if possible. It can be a challenge getting people on a shot especially if there novices , but that said its a great feeling getting people on there 1st deer, they normally end up shaking like a leaf at the end of it. With regards to people not seeing deer , you don't actually have to physically see them to know they are there, the evidence will be pretty obvious ,from slot ,droppings, well used tracks etc .Sometimes it works in reverse were there are to many and you just keep bumping bunches of them & never manage to get the client on a safe ,clear shot were as on you own you its not a problem .

Taking clients out is not a get rich quick way to untold wealth.........time ,fuel, land , coldroom ,highseats , etc don't come cheap....Happy stalking

• Like 1

PS my last 7 outing over the last 2 weeks have put zero deer in the chiller....I did have a couple of buck fawns come out the other evening & I could see the mature bucks just in the wood but by the time they ventured out I was so cold I couldn't stop shivering enough to get a steady shot ,so blanked again.....im not taking me out any more....... :laugh: ......until tomorrow

I am with you on that one mate,I am lucky enough to have stalking of my own,I will buy the odd day now and again,mainly to shoot a species that is not present on my ground,but as I have said before,a days stalking can be had at a reasonable price,without being ripped off for pulling your own trigger,ok I agree that if you are taken out by a professional,then that man/woman is doing it for a living,and as such I do think that they should receive something for their time even if no deer are seen(after all we are talking about wild animals here,not a driven pheasant shoot) but I think that if you walk round all day without so much as a sniff of a deer then a refund of part of the fee should be given,if you take your car to a mechanic and he does nothing to it you wont want to pay him will you(ok slightly different but you get my drift) after all it is in the stalkers interest to put you in front of deer,so he gets his full fee,carcase fee,and you will rebook/recommend him to freinds,there are some good guys out there and some bad ones as with everything in life, it pays to do your research.

Sussex and I are going into business, we both have land that has no deer and we are offering cheap days at £5 a day to stalk, to access the wood you drive down a long drive and to park the car is £30 per day,

we provide coffee that is compulsory at £25 per cup and optional sandwiches at £30 each.

There is also an additional charge of £100 should you take a pee in the wood,

if you see a deer this this is rare and will be charged at £5 a view.

Dates available are May 1st for 30 days for both does and bucks and you can shoot anything that is in season.

if you are not lucky enough to shoot a deer a free day will be offered to shoot squirrels with me some time during April 2014

please send blank cheques to .........

Sussex and I are going into business, we both have land that has no deer and we are offering cheap days at £5 a day to stalk, to access the wood you drive down a long drive and to park the car is £30 per day,

we provide coffee that is compulsory at £25 per cup and optional sandwiches at £30 each.

There is also an additional charge of £100 should you take a pee in the wood,

if you see a deer this this is rare and will be charged at £5 a view.

Dates available are May 1st for 30 days for both does and bucks and you can shoot anything that is in season.

if you are not lucky enough to shoot a deer a free day will be offered to shoot squirrels with me some time during April 2014

please send blank cheques to .........Bloody hell sounds like a bargain,if I bring a bottle to piss in can you waiver the 100 quid fee?