How much for a stalk ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll confess I took folks out for the money and no other reason (thats how a business works as aposed to a charity) and quite honestly if it weren't for being paid I wouldn't have wished to spend anot

I to am lucky to have some good stalking ,although a lot of the luck is brought on by hard work & doing a proper job for the people I stalk for (the last 4 sat mornings I've been fencing ,with 4 m

I guess there's good and bad "clients" though, some are sound and worth helping and some just aint worth the time and some are just well they just have no bloody luck at all lol

I think the price's have got out of hand at the moment,I really dont beleive they should charge for the shot,unless its a follow up,I am looking at the moment for some winter muntie stalking for when I go down south in jan,but dreading the prices I am going to find,I know making a living in the stalking game is hard, but everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment,

Charging for the shot is out of order, if I pay for a stalk I am not there to pick flowers the end result is hopefully a shot so it's seems to me like an additional tax. I would not go on a paid stalk if that was a rule

Here's an idea what about a refund if the guide doesnt get you a shot?

Why should you get a refund? what you dont realize your paying him for his time in taking you out ,Its a bonus if a wild animal presents itself and your in a position to take a shot all well and good. It may be that the clients makes a balls of the approach and the deer takes wind of him and because of it no shots taken why should the guide not be payed for the fault of the client.

to many variables in my view.

I charge for my time £70 for 3 hours whether a shots taken or no deer seen or not, but i do make every effort to take prospective clients to areas were there has been obvious sightings and movement recently which increases the chances of the client considerably.

To many punters today think that its a right because they have parted with money they think they are entitled to expect a beast shot because they have paid for it.

Deerstalking is an art and as such should be learned to not to expect to much , money should not be the god as some think. Enjoy being out there see the sights that nature presents before you and enjoy it for what it is.

One other thing there is no guarantees in grassing any wild animal and thats how it should be if you want guarantees purchase canned hunting where the animals are captivated and presented to you if that kind of thing lights your candle

End of rant

Stu

Edited by Caprelous

What if the client shoots a Deer in the first hour and then calls it a day ,do you only charge him for the hour he or she is out??

That never happens if ones shot early the stalk continues as I usually take them onto another stalking area thats not been disturbed by the shot.

My agreement /contract is for 3 hrs of my time I on my part honour my contractual obligation if the client breaks the contract and wishes to terminate the agreement then he compensates me for any loss I sustain through his actions.

Its understood by all they are paying me for 3 hours of my time no more no less and I instruct which animals are culled , usually I instruct before the client sets a foot on the ground if its bucks ,what age etc they can shoot . I have clients that come across young bucks but they want bigger heads and refuse to take the shot but they still get charged for my time.

Its no different to you doing a days work , If I do 2 stalks morning and evening i am involved with a min of 6 hrs on the ground probably driven 80 miles there and back twice met up with the client .

Do you think that doing all this should be free.

I do however sometimes blanc completely on a two outing session and although the clients pay me for my fees I offer them one further outing free at a mutual convenient date which i consider to be fair but i am not obligated to do so its only generosity on my part.

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 1

ooops feathered ruffled:

I can see why some people think its a con, and lets face it I don't know good from bad, what I do know is its either paying to walk in woods or paying to stalk and hopefully shoot. if you sell say 10 days in april for roe buck do you sell those days because there are 10 roe buck to be shot, or do you say not everyone is going to see one. as said above if you charge per hour, if you shoot in first 10 mins do you carry on for another 2 hours?

I don't think that's a very good defence

"To many punters today think that its a right because they have parted with money they think they are entitled to expect a beast shot because they have paid for it.

Deerstalking is an art and as such should be learned to not to expect to much , money should not be the god as some think. Enjoy being out there see the sights that nature presents before you and enjoy it for what it is."

er yes they have parted with money to shoot, anyone can walk on a footpath and see nature,... its not rocket science ive parted with my money to shoot not walk round a wood. money is the god cause some poor buggar has spent all week earning that to do the one thing he wants to do after spending money on courses and equipment and in some cases a few hours driving.

im not picking a fight but if you have to justify charging for this please come up with a good defence

rant just starting

ooops feathered ruffled:

I can see why some people think its a con, and lets face it I don't know good from bad, what I do know is its either paying to walk in woods or paying to stalk and hopefully shoot. if you sell say 10 days in april for roe buck do you sell those days because there are 10 roe buck to be shot, or do you say not everyone is going to see one. as said above if you charge per hour, if you shoot in first 10 mins do you carry on for another 2 hours?

I don't think that's a very good defence

"To many punters today think that its a right because they have parted with money they think they are entitled to expect a beast shot because they have paid for it.

Deerstalking is an art and as such should be learned to not to expect to much , money should not be the god as some think. Enjoy being out there see the sights that nature presents before you and enjoy it for what it is."

er yes they have parted with money to shoot, anyone can walk on a footpath and see nature,... its not rocket science ive parted with my money to shoot not walk round a wood. money is the god cause some poor buggar has spent all week earning that to do the one thing he wants to do after spending money on courses and equipment and in some cases a few hours driving.

im not picking a fight but if you have to justify charging for this please come up with a good defence

rant just starting

Rant away my friend.

The clients I have are satisfied if you want my time you pay if you dont then fine its a client that I would not have had anyhow. That also applies to the hours I am loosing not getting paid for in my job while I am taking would be clients out who benefit from my 32 years experience that I have in deerstalking, But hey Oh you get nowt for nothing in this life as I have found out, :laugh: .

On another note

If you want some free stalking you will have to put some hours in yourself on a scheme that we are running for lads who havent got the cash and would sooner put some hours in themselves in return we take them out giving the same amount of hours worked . :boogy:

Found here http://deerstalking-uk.com/Forum/

or click on the logo

:bye:

Edited by Caprelous

if you want some free stalking you will have to put some hours in yourself on a scheme that we are running for lads who havent got the cash and would sooner put some hours in themselves in return we take them out giving the same amount of hours worked . :boogy:

Found here http://deerstalking-uk.com/Forum/

or click on the logo

:bye:

if I want some free stalking? no thanks I've got loads.

but I like the idea of helping others, I am happy to take anyone out and do a lot of other shooting as well and will take someone out, yes i have experience, yes i have land, no I wont charge, even if someone says to me they have land and no gun or experience and want me to come over, I would use my time, my fuel, my experience and help them. that way future deer shooters will gain and when they take over they will know how to do it right.

Edited by Philluk
  • Like 2