Muntjac habits

'MN' I have found that the most prolific time to see Muntjac on the market gardens(well ijn the fields above)is definitley between 1200-1400hrs.And if you check my old posts I have put a hell of a lot of pics from my garden/wildlife area....Roe Munties Foxes etc.

I also get more out of shooting a Muntjac Buck than any Roe.

M

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shoot probably 20-30 muntjac a year not a lot by some standards and they still intrigue me, l do see them and have shot them well away from cover at all times of the day but like all deer it does de

Posted Images

The ones on my door step are semi tame, as in they will be out feeding and you can walk within 30 yards of them and they will just ignore you!! One even squared up to my young lurcher once and made her back off. That was quite a strange sight to see!! This place is full of dog walkers so they just don't seem to have the fear as their rural relatives.

The ones on my door step are semi tame, as in they will be out feeding and you can walk within 30 yards of them and they will just ignore you!! One even squared up to my young lurcher once and made her back off. That was quite a strange sight to see!! This place is full of dog walkers so they just don't seem to have the fear as their rural relatives.

They can be devastating on a dog that might grab for a rear leg...........

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC_0004-6.jpg

M

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC_0004-6.jpg

M

i grabbed one, a doe by the front leggs once and it ran up my chest with its back leggs about took my face off was mm away learnt my lesson

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC_0004-6.jpg

M

as long as it came good thats all that matters :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

i shot one for the 1st time Saturday thanks to a local lad taking me on his land and in a high seat. I have them on my land in good numbers. and a friend of mine shot one once just before last light. when he was out on the border of the wood and the field.

i have permission for this bit of wood. but the main part of the wood i don't. and this is where they hang in numbers. i have walked this wood due to footpaths and seen them break cover lots of times. I am just trying to get permission in it now so i can get a high seat up.

which i will set up to over look a great little lay up place for them. your have more chance from a high seat. as the guys have said they very shy at breaking cover. but will come out on the rides when the light drops.

the one i shot the other day come right up the ride. under the high seat and my heart was pounding. he was then sniffing our scent on the floor ! turned right round ! and scented us back to the seat. and to the 1st run of the ladder ! before making off down the ride slowly.

i then slowly got the 243 up her. it was a nice size doe. did see a lovely buck out just before but he wouldnt give me a clear shot due to moving around and behind some thick cover. which he wouldn't break.

it was great fun and great to see them out in open on the rides of the wood. you really can see why they are so hard to get to shoot. night time on my shoot is a different matter i could be having at least 2 each time.

but of course with the no lamping deer law there safe. i can see why they have spread around the midlands over to the east and up into the top of the east midlands.

they can breed all year round. and being so hard to shoot. spread about alot