Classifying whippets for racing

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

god wat a sick sick crowd....im the man who put the dogs into wat class now may i add ere not one of ye tat r crying about a [7 YEAR OLD DOG] tat won the racing HAVE said anythink about a little hairy dog r bitch tat ran in this class why is tat........also i ave being running avents for years nd any man r women tat is giveing out about marthin tucker running a dog same weight height seven year old for god sake ave a bit of cop on.. there was not many dogs there sat albert philip and i and club lads spoke about the racing few weeks befor the fair and we came up wit the classes we thought we were helping every body if people ave whippets wit no papers r ave not got the extra 100 as graham said to get them tats not r fault i put all the same dogs/bitches around the 29lbs to roughly 34lbs together to TRY keep everyone happy and no dog looked out of place except the hairy one that none of ye spoke about becos he didnt WIN...we ave never came across such silly talk in all r days is some of these dogs tat r non un reg whippets hade of ran wit the under 23s they would n stay 10 nlenghts of them anyone wit a bit of knowledge would know tat...also how do i know when someone comes up to me and says its a whippet wit no papers whos fault is tat some people want jam on both sides of there bread..if people keep going on like this to albert about this shit talk your going to see this a dying sport and knowone to blame only yourselfs..i didnt see one post tanking the man for the grate prizes tat were put up ect ect...to be honest i think from now on reg whippet class show papers if you dont ave papers under 23 and if u dont like tat dont run plain and simple....i think when u r trying to be helpfull friendly and put up good prizes the less tanks u get... :angry2:

Shane i was not bothered about who won the racing on saturday but how this came about was when Martin asked on another tread if Ernie was qualified for the 32 counties whippet racing and i answered him with a no should of raced him in the under 23" racing but as i said on the 1st reply on this tread he started throwing insults about so i replied to them,but when these classes were first announced i asked if it was for unreg pure bred or non ped whippets and was told it was still for pure bred whippets that just had no papers and it was down to club to decide if it was a whippet or not and i raced against the rough coated dog on the day but as i said i was'nt bothered either way i was only there for the crac but im not gona let a someone like Martin Tucker belittle me over a computer ,im sure i'l come across him again and he can say the things he said to my face but i dont know if i got it wrong about the classes or not but i thought it was for pure bred whippets with no papers.ps i still think you and the club done a great job on the day and the the races were layed out the way they should of been and would like to be able to make down to your show on the 11th but can't as it's my babies christening that day and if i miss that she will kill me :laugh:

Edited by lurcher330

just a suggestion why not have a hight restriction for whippets and whippet types but keep it what ever the standard hight is for whippets I think its 21" TT shoulder for dogs and 20" for bitches it would not be that hard to do just have a 2by 2 paveing slab to stand the dogs on and a T ruler set at 21 1/2" for dogs and 20 1/2" for bitches that way any thing that fits under the rule can race togather that would include ped/non ped/un reg whippets alike even whippet type lurchers cant see why that would not work save all the bullshit after

• Like 1

i wasnt going to post,,,,might regret it pmsl

BRITTISH WHIPPET racing accociation and the NWRF or as known 2day is the NNWRF,,,,,mostly run from mining communties,,,,,but a racing threw and threw,,,,yes they have greyhound in line ,but if they reach over a certain weight,,,they are scratch dogs not allowed to race within the whippet class

BUT I HEAR U SAY LOL,,,they keep close to greyhound,,,but there not for show,,,there for speed,,,,and its better to keep gen pool open and stay close to there ancestory i,e try to stick to the orginal whippet ,,,fast,,,not looks,,,,breed to their abbilities not there looks :hmm:

kc whippets are always made welcome to race against them,at there clubs,, but ,kc dont allow them to run with them at there clubs,,it been like that for very many years

now the question is ???? what route the irish will take ??? run both togther or run kc and non ped or non papers in diffrent classes,,,,,but on reading this i see some want kc and non papers to run diffrent,,and bwra to run diffrent also,,,,fair enough,,,,but 3 classes abit much ,,,,2 classes seems fair enough

remeber the north east and midlands off england prduced the bwra many years ago,,,,as whippet clubs in the uk,,,,,now your saying there wrong ?????lol

plus some kc ped whippets are weighing more than bwra whippets pmsl

Edited by whip x grey
  • Like 1

Listen lurcher330 this is all `handbag` stuff ! I was led to believe that it was okay to run Ernie in the non-ped section, as that is what he is in my eyes. I just wanted to give the old dog a run in a group that seemed to be the correct group on the day. If somebody had come up and said he wasn`t allowed to run, then fine, would have given him a run in the Under 23`.

My main interest was the big dogs with Ginger Jack, Ernie came for the day out and he got to run.

He hasn`t plundered all the prizes throughout his career as he always ran in the Under 23` class the few times he has competed. He went to Shanes Castle in 2007, only the second show I attended and and he ran in the Whippet class. At the time he was accepted as a Whippet and ran in that competition in good faith. There was no word of KC Whippets, non-ped or anything, just Whippet and in my eyes that was him. However, when he won each of his runs by a distance it was obvious that he shouldn`t have run, but he had been beat out of sight by Miss Tori a few weeks before at his first show. She was 45 lbs, half as big again as him. The Whippet class seemed to be the logical group for him, ie size and weight and was entered in good faith.

After this Ernie has never competed against KC Whippets or in Whippet events and in fairness if he`s run at a dozen meetings since then it would be the height of it !

The show in Birr was fairly local to me and Ginger Jack was my main interest on the day, the fact that the entries board said non-ped Whippets meant that Ernie was put in that, once again in good faith, as opposed to running against China and Hugo, big, heavy Under 23 `.

The fact the old lad held on to win by a tight length meant more to me than if Ginger Jack had won !

I`m sorry all this has developed into a `slagging match`.

In your eyes Ernie is a Under 23`Lurcher/Mongrel and in my eyes and that of his breeders in the UK he is a purpose bred non-ped Racing Whippet. His sire Vivs Quest was a 21 lbs Racing Champion of note, whilst his dam Show Three was a legend of the sport of Non-Ped Whippet Racing in the UK. Who was the only one ever to win the weight group Top Ten and the following year, despite being only 32lbs, took the No Limit Scratch Top Ten and became the overall Scratch Supreme Champion at the National Championships. So the little guy is bred to have some foot.

I think we should just all move on and just accept what happened and hopefully learn from it. We can all get a little carried away on the `keyboard` when we see something or when somebody presses on a nerve !

There`s nothing out there now for little Ernie, not that there ever was, that really fell into his category. Too quick fot the Whippets and too small and slow for the top Under 23 `. Plus, age has caught up with him, so he`s gone out on a winning note ! :toast:

It would be great if the non-ped Whippets like Ernie and Paris could develop over the next few years into their own group, as they are very fast for their size and when running within their own class the level of racing is high, but that`s for another day !

I actually have my name down for a couple of non-ped bitch pups in the UK, but now i`m beginning to think is there a place for them over here ?

I hope that`s the end of this `thread `and everybody moves on with no bad feelings.... i`m prepared to do that if others are ?

Lurcher330 what`s the Babies name ? If it`s a boy call him Ernie and i`ll forgive you !!!!

All joking aside, best of luck in the future ! :bye:

Edited by Martin Tucker

Wasn't at Birr for the racing so have no gripe about results etc, but I just want to calrify a few points: The whippet racing was advertised as a race for KC reg whippets, and a race for non KC reg whippets. A non KC reg whippet is a pure bred whippet without reg papers, not a non ped. A non ped is a purposely bred racing dog with a combination of whippet and greyhound. There is a difference, would a greyhound containing whippets in it's pedigree be allowed to race with greyhounds? If you are thinking of stopping the whippet racing Albert, just think back to Shanes, 5 heats of six dogs at £3 per entry??????? It's getting more popular all the time, organisers just need to decide how they police the cheats.

Janet

Perhaps our classification definition was not clear enough and/or you have inferred it meant something else but basically there were two race classifications 1. For KC Registered Whippets and 2 Unregistered whippets to include unregistered dogs and non pedigree. By simple definition a non KC registered whippet does not necessarily have a traceable pedigree. The organising club and I were quite clear about what we meant and that is why we felt Martin who raced without objection on the day was entitled to his prize.

I should make it clear that within the whole scheme of things at the fair whippets are a very small part of what we do AND represent mainly a cost centre for us as the organising club takes all entry fees . We have tried to recognise the growth in whippet interest by putting on extra show classes and the controversy in classifying whippets by trying to be as inclusive as possible. But I simply do not have the time or inclination to respond to people slagging off our events and organisers AFTER the event when they had a chance to make a complaint AT the event. We welcome positive suggestions but abhor silly abusive comments.

Albertj

Albert,

I wasn't slagging off your event nor did I include any silly or abusive comments. As a whippet breeder and owner of over 15 years it irritates me when people insist that a non pedigree racing bred dog is a whippet, there is a difference. As I said, I wasn't there on the Saturday, but I was there on the Sunday, and had a very enjoyable day. Each organising club that runs whippet racing is going to have different views on how to solve this problem, no-one has all the answers, but the reality of the situation is that it's only a couple of people spoiling the fun for everyone.

Janet

what irritates me ive been round whippet breeds twice as long,,,,AND I AINT A WHIPPET BREEDER AND NEVER WILL ,,what i hate about KC,,, i love the whippets,,,but KC have made them a CASH COW ,,,feck there abbilitie,s pmsl--AS LONG AS THERES COIN AT THE END PMSL

bwra 100-150 pound,,,,,kc 350--to 700 pound ,,,,yet dont want to race martians 7 yearold veteran with there high priced young kc looker,s ,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: real whippets can run,,,its the reason for the breed,,,faster away than most breeds

Edited by whip x grey

I have read this arguement for months - there is no easy answer to it obviously. So.............why not keep it simple..............Pedigree papered whippets should race at whippet racing clubs - where lurchers are not allowed to run and lurcher racing should be for lurchers or people who are happy to run thier 'whippet types' against dogs of a similar type/height. Such a lot of crying over something most people claim is supposed to be 'a bit of fun' over the summer.

• Like 1

At the Roscrea Racing Events is it true that the person who signals to the lure driver stands at the side of the track when giving the signal to the lure driver or do they go behind the dogs?

Still waiting on a response

I wasn't able to be there on Saturday to race my whippets but am amazed to read that a ''hairy dog'' was 'allowed' to enter in the non KC reg. whippet race........and even more surprised that people entering their whippets in this race didn't object :huh: ???!!! A whippet is a 'breed' of dog in it's own right and as such has a breed standard which clearly states that coat should be 'Fine, short & close in texture'........can't think how a hairy dog meets this standard :hmm: ....lol!! :laugh:

At the Roscrea Racing Events is it true that the person who signals to the lure driver stands at the side of the track when giving the signal to the lure driver or do they go behind the dogs?

wat do u want to know this :hmm:

If it is true and i had have been racing, and notcied it, i would have raised it up with the organising club. The person who signals to the lure driver should always be behind the dogs, out of sight and view of those slipping the dogs.

I wasn't able to be there on Saturday to race my whippets but am amazed to read that a ''hairy dog'' was 'allowed' to enter in the non KC reg. whippet race........and even more surprised that people entering their whippets in this race didn't object :huh: ???!!! A whippet is a 'breed' of dog in it's own right and as such has a breed standard which clearly states that coat should be 'Fine, short & close in texture'........can't think how a hairy dog meets this standard :hmm: ....lol!! :laugh:

its the very same as whippets wit no papers who to say they are full whippets when they ave no papers to be honest never again will this non reg and reg whippets be ran at any avent we run again shower of rossetts followers go to the kc and dont be boddering honest sporting people who want a bit of fun and wont go posting SHIT about wats reg an non reg....i never in my life withnessed such crap talk about dogs....some people just cannot face there dogs r just not good enough face the facts and stop trying to blame everyone and everythink

wat do u want to know this :hmm:

If it is true and i had have been racing, and notcied it, i would have raised it up with the organising club. The person who signals to the lure driver should always be behind the dogs, out of sight and view of those slipping the dogs.

and when did u becom the boss......do u not think it is the same for them all...wat racing do u run r wat club r u in dazzam

It would be great if the non-ped Whippets like Ernie and Paris could develop over the next few years into their own group, as they are very fast for their size and when running within their own class the level of racing is high, but that`s for another day !

Is there any of the racing over here that caters for the non-peds/lurchers as those mentioned above were they can compete with similar size/weight? What way do Roscrea divide their racing classes up?