Classifying whippets for racing

It would be great if the non-ped Whippets like Ernie and Paris could develop over the next few years into their own group, as they are very fast for their size and when running within their own class the level of racing is high, but that`s for another day !

Is there any of the racing over here that caters for the non-peds/lurchers as those mentioned above were they can compete with similar size/weight? What way do Roscrea divide their racing classes up?

answer my last msg wat club u in and where u from and wat racing do u organaoise.....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

At the Roscrea Racing Events is it true that the person who signals to the lure driver stands at the side of the track when giving the signal to the lure driver or do they go behind the dogs?

Still waiting on a response

wat do u want to know this :hmm:

If it is true and i had have been racing, and notcied it, i would have raised it up with the organising club. The person who signals to the lure driver should always be behind the dogs, out of sight and view of those slipping the dogs.

and when did u becom the boss......do u not think it is the same for them all...wat racing do u run r wat club r u in dazzam

I ain't no boss i'm just a humble servant. Of course it is the same for them all but knowing if the person signalling to the lure driver is positioned in view, at the side, can be an advantage. Sorry, i didn't realise you had to be in a club or run races to voice an opinion or to raise something up. Of all the racing i have been at i have yet to see the person signalling to the lure driver not going behind the dogs being slipped, out of view and out of sight.

Again you still havn't answered the original question.

Darren

At the Roscrea Racing Events is it true that the person who signals to the lure driver stands at the side of the track when giving the signal to the lure driver or do they go behind the dogs?

If it is true and i had have been racing, and notcied it, i would have raised it up with the organising club. The person who signals to the lure driver should always be behind the dogs, out of sight and view of those slipping the dogs.

and when did u becom the boss......do u not think it is the same for them all...wat racing do u run r wat club r u in dazzam

dazzam's point is fair IMHO :yes: a slippy handler can snatch a couple of lengths on anticipating the lure moving :thumbs:

Flag man stood behind the dogs and handlers no one can see/anticipate the lure moving

Y.I.S Leeview

I ain't no boss i'm just a humble servant. Of course it is the same for them all but knowing if the person signalling to the lure driver is positioned in view, at the side, can be an advantage. Sorry, i didn't realise you had to be in a club or run races to voice an opinion or to raise something up. Of all the racing i have been at i have yet to see the person signalling to the lure driver not going behind the dogs being slipped, out of view and out of sight.

Darren

well u dont atend many racing meetings then for example when a started at the horse races is getting them away where does he signal......when a ref of it hurling r football does he through the ball in from the front r behind.....a starter of human racing does he signal from front r behind.....when dogs r im slips at the coursing does he signal from the front r behind the slipper i could stay going on and on....u r a bit behind times lad and wat difference does it make were i stand as i said it was the same from them all now like a good lad go away and stop trying to reck the racing and peoples head u dont know wat u r talking about plus u r telling me how to run racing and u never ran an avent yourself for god sake man grow up

dazzam's point is fair IMHO :yes: a slippy handler can snatch a couple of lengths on anticipating the lure moving :thumbs:

Flag man stood behind the dogs and handlers no one can see/anticipate the lure moving

Y.I.S Leeview

were u racing sat leeview

I'm not sure where this thread is going but i raced whippets in the 70's ..surely its easier just to have 2 seperate events KC peds and non kc peds ..the classes we raced in were dependant on size and weight ..if you went under the stick or made that weight you raced in that class ...if you were over the 21" and 30lb ..you were lumped in the open class 24" snappers that could runm like the wind scratch handicap dogs and less over 150 yards ..and from what i saw in the day these scratch dogs could give the 19 inch peds 20 yards and still beat them over 100 / 120 yards ..that's where your problem lies ..hand in pocket for papers or get mullered by a non ped with a blue eye

Darren

well u dont atend many racing meetings then for example when a started at the horse races is getting them away where does he signal......when a ref of it hurling r football does he through the ball in from the front r behind.....a starter of human racing does he signal from front r behind.....when dogs r im slips at the coursing does he signal from the front r behind the slipper i could stay going on and on....u r a bit behind times lad and wat difference does it make were i stand as i said it was the same from them all now like a good lad go away and stop trying to reck the racing and peoples head u dont know wat u r talking about plus u r telling me how to run racing and u never ran an avent yourself for god sake man grow up

What was that all about? I thought i made a valid point. I'm now accused of trying to wreck the racing and peoples heads. Any genuine and reasonable person who has any interest in racing will understand the point i raised. There are lurcher racing clubs all over the UK who run many events throughout the year, year in and year out, who would never dream of allowing the person who signals to the lure driver to stand anywhere but behind the dogs being slipped, out of view and out if sight. Are you saying they are behind the times? Please don't take this personal or accusational its just a point being raised up on a discussion board.

Darren

Edited by Dazzam

I wasn't able to be there on Saturday to race my whippets but am amazed to read that a ''hairy dog'' was 'allowed' to enter in the non KC reg. whippet race........and even more surprised that people entering their whippets in this race didn't object :huh: ???!!! A whippet is a 'breed' of dog in it's own right and as such has a breed standard which clearly states that coat should be 'Fine, short & close in texture'........can't think how a hairy dog meets this standard :hmm: ....lol!! :laugh:

its the very same as whippets wit no papers who to say they are full whippets when they ave no papers to be honest never again will this non reg and reg whippets be ran at any avent we run again shower of rossetts followers go to the kc and dont be boddering honest sporting people who want a bit of fun and wont go posting SHIT about wats reg an non reg....i never in my life withnessed such crap talk about dogs....some people just cannot face there dogs r just not good enough face the facts and stop trying to blame everyone and everythink

shane your right in all you said its supposed to be about working dogs and meeting other people. alot of people nowadays are taking it to seriously so when they are going to sell there pups the price goes up for the pups cause there non reg or non-peds parents won whatever fair they won. so your right it should only be about proper working dogs that there owners are only having a days fun while there dogs are waiting for the season to start again.regards danny dundalk

Edited by danny300
  • Like 1

Well folks its about time i said my piece lol wasnt going to bother but sure why not. I spent most of the racing day at birr near the starting line for the racing and entry for the racing must say i also thought the classes were going to be kc whippet and un reg whippet but at the line i heard of dogs being entered in "NON PED" classes which is why the eirne dog probably ended up in the race that he did.Even as the dogs lined up on the start line ernie and another dog which had a broken coat realy stood out from the rest but it seems there has been some confusion on the new classes and a little disorganisation on the behalf of the roscrea club about the difference in a non ped and an un reg whippet.In my opinion whippets should all run in a whippet race papers or no papers and we should have a proper non ped class for whippet type lurchers like parris ernie and other like dogs who are a lot smaller than the under 23 lurchers. Before every one jumps in with the negitive comments about cheaters still racing non peds as whippets we all go to the same shows and if someone repeatedly cheats if every one steps back from the start line and sticks together to stomp it out they will soon get sick of it.but all this bickering between ourselves is doing our sport no good at all. Glen Doc

i no wat a non ped is and un reg to be honest il put it in a nut shell dogs just not good enough and owners can not face up to it simple as for gog sake a seven year old dog u r talking about ere....we all want the bit of fun a craic not this shit and dont anyone else come on ere tell me hoe to run races..maybe some of the people doing the giving out r not even in a top class club like we ave

Shane I think you are taking things too personal about this topic on this discussion fourm,that's what it is for discussing things and trying to improve our sport.This topic is about defing a whippet not running a club down, people are only making sugestions in an open manor and reading through it carefully with an open mind most are saying the same thing maybe in a different way. Glen Doc

Darren

What was that all about? I thought i made a valid point. I'm now accused of trying to wreck the racing and peoples heads. Any genuine and reasonable person who has any interest in racing will understand the point i raised. There are lurcher racing clubs all over the UK who run many events throughout the year, year in and year out, who would never dream of allowing the person who signals to the lure driver to stand anywhere but behind the dogs being slipped, out of view and out if sight. Are you saying they are behind the times? Please don't take this personal or accusational its just a point being raised up on a discussion board.

Darren

wel darren if we all done thinks the same way life would be boaring it was a level playing field for them all and not being smart but the people in the uk run there racing there way and we run r racing r way and tat is the way ii is and will be ok lad

Edited by shane-1

well time to enter my bit,firstly shane a very big well done to you and the club on the event,i had a good days craic with you all and will see yous again.this whole non ped thing is beyond control.on the day the ped whippets was won by one of the fastest ped whippets in the country and a very well done to him.on the board it said non pedigree so that was next and ernie won straight up the field well done martin.on the day if anyone didnt think ernie should race why go to the line and slip.the bottom of it is speak up on the day or let it lie,at shanes there were alot of complaints about a dog,i wasnt going to slip up the field agaist it so i went over and openly said to the starter i was pulling out and why and left it at that.i dont hold any grudges against any of the people envolved as i was straight up and they know where they stand. on the working side of things any show is just a beaty contest you cannot tell any dog is working in a show ring.and these shows are listed as lurcher terrier and whippet shows mostly not working shows.busted noses mean nothing to me as ive seen plenty of rubbish busted. racing wise it is clear to me that there is enough dogs now fast enough to warrant the likes of an elite class or the novice class held at the weekend to give everyone a go so i think thats the way forward again well done to the roscrea club and albert and co for a good weekends craic.good hunting kieran

Darren

Darren

wel darren if we all done thinks the same way life would be boaring it was a level playing field for them all and not being smart but the people in the uk run there racing there way and we run r racing r way and tat is the way ii is and will be ok lad

Thanks Shane for the response. There is a reason why they go behind the dogs being slipped, that being, that those slipping have no way of anticipating when the lure is going to go. Of course no one is dictating how you or anyone run their events. Anyone who i have spoken to who has been to the Roscrea Racing have sang your praises and talked about how well the events are organised and run, however we should always listen and take on points of view especially if they are reasonable and the motive behind them is proper. At Shanes Castle, for the Master McGrath, i asked Matt to position the lure further behind the line to ensure the dogs were still driving at full speed going over the line. Thankfully the attitude wasn't, are you the boss? are you a member of any club? or have you ever orgainised any event as Albert ensured the lure was moved further up the field.

Also i asked the question regarding Ernie, Paris and dogs of similar height and weight because i have just bought a non ped pup and it looks as though it will turn out to be of a similar height and weight and may get to one of the Roscrea events in the future if they do so.

Thanks Darren

shane have u still not got whippet traps,,,,i can speak to kirkcaldy commitee,,,as they have spare set ,,,,and see what they want for them,,,i have one off them,, brother has other 3,,,,but there sitting doing nothing

and it will probably only cost u fuel money to come and collect ,,,all would fit in transit easy,,,,iam at kirkcaldy next week,,,,i can ask them then,,,,if they want anything for them,,,ill try and get them cheap as feck

as they know they probably wont ever get used again ,,,they will probably sit in a shed and never get used again