Classifying whippets for racing

Wouldn't it be easier if these people just raced their Ped Whippets, Non-Ped Whippets and 31/32% Greyhounds at tracks, out of traps, and left Lurcher racing for Lurchers ?????

Cheers.

Not often do I agree with your opinions and dont take it to heart but we're singing from the same sheet on this one :thumbs: :thumbs:

A WHIPPET IS A WHIPPET WITH NOTHING ELSE IN ITS MAKE UP BUT WHIPPETS

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

END OFF THE DAY CARTPLOSKIE,,,,BY THE WAY HOW WAS UR HOLIDAY DOWN UNDER ???

BWRA X HARDBLOOD AND COURSING SULKI DOGS ARE SHOWN THE WINDOW ON ( HUNTING LIFE FORUM),,,,,NOT BAD DOGS ,,,JUST MASTERS IN THERE OWN CLASS

HATED ,,,,BUT THE BEST AT THERE TRADE

The holiday was excellent, did you read the post "hunting down under" and see the pics ? I''m in Malaysia for a few days at the moment, and I'm trying to get someone to take me out pig hunting !! Never miss an opportunity !! LOL !!

Cheers.

Ch,

Never been to Malaysia but I assume its like Indonesia for wild boar. When I was working in Indonesia had one of the best nights hunting of my life in the teal plantations up at Verita on Java. We were shooting from a ptaform on top of a landrover at night from seats welded on to the platform and our rifles ( carbines) in scabbards. Snap shooting at eyes lit up by Indonesian with spotting lamp.

The guy we were with could handle a Landtover - sliding it down hills sideways, winching it upright when it fell over and going over tree and sod bridges over rivers and ravines. Real surreal excitement of the 'India jones type' followed by a mad dash back to Jakarta for me to take a training session still in my hunting clothes!.

Boars ranged in size from GSD size ( which I shot two off) and huge tuskers ( shot one - three times) but guide wouldn't let me down to get the tusks, But if you are after real excitement my neighbour Mark ( Action ) Mahon hunts boar in France with just a spear!

Still not getting it, Albert !! Martin KNOWS FOR A FACT his dog is NOT an "unregistered KC Whippet" It's a "Non-ped Whippet" with pleanty Greyhound blood in it !! A world of difference !! Don't eqate Retreives with Whippets !

Cheers.

Martin has a crossbred Whippet which is unregistered! I did not say it was an unregistered KC whippet. Our classification was KC whippets and unregistered whippets ( not specified as purebred whippets without registration). This to include unregistered whippets of all types.

My point was that if a whippet is unregistered by definition its parentage/ ancestry is not confirmed. Short of DNA testing no one can say its a whippet except the owner.

We will discuss this with our organisers but it is likely in future we will run classes for whippets ( KC registered) and whippets ( un reg) or (non ped) under 21.5".

Albert

Albert how hard is it to understand :huh: whippets(un reg) or (non ped) are worlds apart even if they are under 21.5"

DNA cannot prove a breed :thumbs: it can tell the parents that produced it if samples of DNA are taken from the parents(paternity testing)but it cant tell you the breeds in its make up

Y.I.S Leeview

Albert how hard is it to understand :huh: whippets(un reg) or (non ped) are worlds apart even if they are under 21.5"

DNA cannot prove a breed :thumbs: it can tell the parents that produced it if samples of DNA are taken from the parents(paternity testing)but it cant tell you the breeds in its make up

Y.I.S Leeview

Leewview,

Once again you make definitive statements of opinion as fact. I may not be a whippet expert but I do know a little bit about DNA as I studied genetics and have a continuing interest in it. . DNA testing ( and I am not suggesting going down this route) could be highly indicative of whether a whippet is 'pure bred' or not or in an argument over parentage could certainly prove this either way within the statistical limits of such testing. I am not disputing that an un reg and non ped whippet might be different and I have never stated otherwise. The point I was making that it is impossible for anyone taking an entry from an unregistered whippet to know its ancestry for definite. Therefore in my opinion the fairest way to classify whippets after taking the KC registered ones out of the argument is by height. If we were to run to whippets KC reg and unreg I can see the same arguments coming up that a particular unreg dog has mixed ancestry. If we go for the simpler definitive split of KC registered or otherwise, it might be viewed as penalising the owners of unreg whippets but a simple solution for anyone who doesn't want to race in an under 21.5" class - get your dog registered. If I owned an unreg whippet I would know I couldn't show it at KC shows - people owning un reg whippets will realise that we are not excluding them but they may have to race with whippet types of mixed ancestry.

AlbertJ

OK Albert I missed the opening line in your earlier post re:"martin has a crossbred whippet that is unregistered!" so why is it refered to as a whippet? Whippet are bred from whippetsxwhippets no other breed added, if MT knows its a Xbreed why not refer to the other breed in its make up?

Y.I.S Leeview

read post so far with interest, Ive raced non peds, greyhounds and kept lurchers for a lifetime. when racing in scotland boomed in the early eighties many kc reg dogs raced with non peds and for the most part we all got along, going our seperate ways for championship events. for me the problem isn't with the dogs or owners and the classification thing is easy to sort, make the kc reg event open to registered dogs with papers to prove it, make the un reg / non ped up to a wieght limit say 32 or 35lb and in order to stop the wee fast non peds clearing up at lurcher events put a couple of fences or hurdles in the track and any lurcher worthy of the name will jump. if we go back far enough even kc reg whippets have outcrosses, just as greyhounds have bulldog blood and deerhounds have collie blood however far back and diluted. keep things simple and race for the sport, for the dogs and the craic NOT for the winning

ur right stewart,,,,peds and whip crosses and working whips got along at club,,,,no arugements enjoyed there weekend

but in scotland ,,,one day ,,,north east ,,( geordies ) visited,,,,it all changed,,,,bwra . the gripper was born ,,,ect ect ect ,,,,

money came into the pedigree side,,,,and that was the worst thing that could happen

end result ,,,peds could run and enter ,,,bwra clubs ,,,with them and toghter,,,,,,but bwra whippets could never run with peds at there handycapp at there club,,,,,,,the line was drawn

shame as kc,,,was made up off,,,simalar dogs from bwra 2day,, :hmm: ,,,the origanals ,,,,untill proven wrong :victory:

Edited by whip x grey

ur right stewart,,,,peds and whip crosses and working whips got along at club,,,,no arugements enjoyed there weekend

but in scotland ,,,one day ,,,north east ,,( geordies ) visited,,,,it all changed,,,,bwra . the gripper was born ,,,ect ect ect ,,,,

money came into the pedigree side,,,,and that was the worst thing that could happen

end result ,,,peds could run and enter ,,,bwra clubs ,,,with them and toghter,,,,,,but bwra whippets could never run with peds at there handycapp at there club,,,,,,,the line was drawn

shame as kc,,,was made up off,,,simalar dogs from bwra 2day,, :hmm: ,,,the origanals ,,,,untill proven wrong :victory:

"money came into the pedigree side" what ya talking about peds have always been more expensive (your paying for proven ancestry) peds race peds unpeds race their own non peds are a lot faster simples

• Like 1

Still not getting it, Albert !! Martin KNOWS FOR A FACT his dog is NOT an "unregistered KC Whippet" It's a "Non-ped Whippet" with pleanty Greyhound blood in it !! A world of difference !! Don't eqate Retreives with Whippets !

Cheers.

Martin has a crossbred Whippet which is unregistered! I did not say it was an unregistered KC whippet. Our classification was KC whippets and unregistered whippets ( not specified as purebred whippets without registration). This to include unregistered whippets of all types.

My point was that if a whippet is unregistered by definition its parentage/ ancestry is not confirmed. Short of DNA testing no one can say its a whippet except the owner.

We will discuss this with our organisers but it is likely in future we will run classes for whippets ( KC registered) and whippets ( un reg) or (non ped) under 21.5".

Albert

Albert i believe you breed retrievers? what do you call a -

1 A KC registered Retriever x KC registered Retriever

2 A Retriever x Retriever neither KC registered

3 A Retriever (KC or not) x Pointer

By the way the Martin fella knows the score he races Greyhounds if he turned up to race and there was a dog from a different grade running against his dog he would soon have something to say

Edited by paddybarr
  • Like 1

Cheers.

Albert

Albert i believe you breed retrievers? what do you call a -

1 A KC registered Retriever x KC registered Retriever

2 A Retriever x Retriever neither KC registered

3 A Retriever (KC or not) x Pointer

By the way the Martin fella knows the score he races Greyhounds if he turned up to race and there was a dog from a different grade running against his dog he would soon have something to say

Can`t wait to hear his reply to this .But you know what he is like he will try and tell you its a retriever .

Yawn Paddybar !

Don`t go comparing the Greyhound Racing World with Game Fairs ! It just demonstrates how little you know ! In the Greyhound world there are grades and rules, so you know what grade you are in and so does the racing manager and everybody else.

A white board in a field stating non-pedigree whippets doesn`t really come across very clear. Is it non-papered KC Whippets, non-pedigree whippets or anything that resembles a whippet ? So be warned Paddybar, when you`re organising your Show next season, make sure you have eveything perfectly clear from the start, so as to avoid this situation. You are organising one next season I hope ?

Also, you should know, ìm not responsible for classing him a non-pedigree Whippet. That is the title he has been given, due to his breeding, which can trace back 40 years or more and is registered with the British Whippet Racing Association. So why would I deem him anything else ?

Thankfully the season is now over and my little fellow wont ever be the cause of so much rubbish being written about him ever again, by individuals, no matter how you try to explain, just haven`t the capacity or ability to understand or just don`t want to !

Edited by Martin Tucker

Yawn Paddybar !

Don`t go comparing the Greyhound Racing World with Game Fairs !

That's why i think it is wrong at the present time to introduce traps into the lurcher races that are held at the gamefairs as the vast majority of the people who attend lurcher shows at the Game Fairs enter their dogs into the races for fun and only a small number of people take the racing seriously and very competively. I'm not knocking anyone who wants to see traps used and I hope we see the day when traps are used for racing on a regular basis but not for lurcher races at the Game Fairs.

• Like 1

"money came into the pedigree side" what ya talking about peds have always been more expensive (your paying for proven ancestry) peds race peds unpeds race their own non peds are a lot faster simples

your right i know feck all,,,,,i know how ,,,,the highland derby came about,,,,and i know,,,,when geordies came with there whippets to dundee,,,it all changed in the whippet racing up here ,,,( i know feck all )

i know one thing ,,,,whippets where the poor mans greyhound,,,,hows this for POOR ----

http://www.pets4home...02578F20032A6B7

http://www.pets4home...02578FC002F8766

ect ect ect,,,,poor mans whippet pmsl,,,,,money came into it twat,,,,,,i can buy 4 whippets for the price there asking,,,,joke really for what was basically a rabbit dog,,for joe bloggs

and cheap at linage,,,pmsl,,,,u do relise,,,cos bwra has that extra grey in lines,,,,grey lines books go further back ,,than any whippet side :icon_eek: but greyhounds ARE whippets ancestor,s afterall :tongue2: no suprise there then???

Edited by whip x grey

your right i know feck all,,,,,i know how ,,,,the highland derby came about,,,,and i know,,,,when geordies came with there whippets to dundee,,,it all changed in the whippet racing up here ,,,( i know feck all )

i know one thing ,,,,whippets where the poor mans greyhound,,,,hows this for POOR ----

http://www.pets4home...02578F20032A6B7

http://www.pets4home...02578FC002F8766

ect ect ect,,,,poor mans whippet pmsl,,,,,money came into it twat,,,,,,i can buy 4 whippets for the price there asking,,,,joke really for what was basically a rabbit dog,,for joe bloggs

and cheap at linage,,,pmsl,,,,u do relise,,,cos bwra has that extra grey in lines,,,,grey lines books go further back ,,than any whippet side :icon_eek: but greyhounds ARE whippets ancestor,s afterall :tongue2: no suprise there then???

you write like your pissed? why do you pay more for something?? like buying malt or supermarket brand work it out