Pest control and failing mole traps

A friend of mine has a small mole problem and I have tried on three different occasions to trap these moles and have had seven traps set off with no moles :icon_eek: .

Now the problem is the moles are on a steep bank and the top soil is loose and whilst clearing to set the traps a good deal of debris/soil is falling down the run and is being pushed back and setting of the trap. Now is the only sure way gas/poison? :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i used to use nothing but duffus because they work, however in very dry conditions , the talpex work , i have also bin playing with the trapline type with good success, if i was setting hundreds like

No, the only sure way is to trap, gas is the only other option, which wouln't work in the soil conditions you are describing.

Try to persivere with the trapping, set the traps somewhere between where the mole is living & where its going to feed (ie. where the hills are) don't set traps in amongst hills.

good luck!! :good:

alright mate try to find the main run more than likely be running up along a fence line or wall or tr some different traps like talpex

you fill around these when you set them they are good if you are having problems with the mole setting of the scissor trap when clearing the run

far better catch rate aswell :thumbs:

alright mate try to find the main run more than likely be running up along a fence line or wall or tr some different traps like talpex

you fill around these when you set them they are good if you are having problems with the mole setting of the scissor trap when clearing the run

far better catch rate aswell :thumbs:

Sorry to sound stupid but how would I find the "main run?"

forget the main run , if you are getting traps filled , you are obviously getting the location correct, in dry conditions use talpex type traps and as has already bin said,fill around the trap with loose fine soil,

Every trap but three had been set off so they are in the right position, my success rate is about 1:2 so it really frustrated me. I will find some talpex type traps, I suppose it will be good to try something else. I have been using scissor traps for nine years and have never had so many failures.

Do moles become aware of traps? :blink:

I only ever use Duffus traps a.k.a barrel traps. When they are in place it doesn't matter if soil falls back on top, won't affect the trap at all. Another plus is you can catch 2 moles in one trap. Not a regular occurrence but it does happen every now and then.

i used to use nothing but duffus because they work, however in very dry conditions , the talpex work , i have also bin playing with the trapline type with good success, if i was setting hundreds like i used to , i would use duffus , however different conditions can mean different traps , it can be the difference between carrying on with your work or not, i am told that the trapline work well in frosts , something i used to have a huge problem with when using duffus traps

moles do become aware of something , i don,t think they know its a trap , but they know something is not right , simply move your trap a foot or two along the run

• Like 3

i used to use nothing but duffus because they work, however in very dry conditions , the talpex work , i have also bin playing with the trapline type with good success, if i was setting hundreds like i used to , i would use duffus , however different conditions can mean different traps , it can be the difference between carrying on with your work or not, i am told that the trapline work well in frosts , something i used to have a huge problem with when using duffus traps

moles do become aware of something , i don,t think they know its a trap , but they know something is not right , simply move your trap a foot or two along the run

You wont get much better advice than that, from someone whos been there and done it, moley is the inhouse mole expert :D

Moley, I use duffus but my strike rate is poor. I put a old roof tile over the hole rather than filling it in. I have had some very shy moles in the past who seem to take ages to catch. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Prices are tight and I hate having to go back 4 or 5 times to catch a little mole!!!

Moley, I use duffus but my strike rate is poor. I put a old roof tile over the hole rather than filling it in. I have had some very shy moles in the past who seem to take ages to catch. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Prices are tight and I hate having to go back 4 or 5 times to catch a little mole!!!

where you getting your traps from, loads of copied tunnel traps about and they are shite, are you covering the roof tile aswell or just as it is, air current and light might be getting through the roof tile, setting trap in feeding area could be another reason thier senses are going like mad looking for worms anything that feels different they might dig down under the trap, get the traps on thier motorways they soon crash