Pest control and failing mole traps

Duffus barrel traps. Modified to be more sensitive, clean (or dirty!), in deep runs, connector runs, surface runs, you name it! This mole is a tricky little bugger!!!!

Definately give the Talpa trap a go, i use to have fails with them scissor traps all the time so i stopped useing them, I find the Talpas work great dig trap out as usual, put a mud ball in the middle under the trigger pin, backfill with soil, job done. Mole comes alone does what it does best and digs, mole nearly every time. The springs are excellent in the traps, i would use Magnum traps there good quality.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i used to use nothing but duffus because they work, however in very dry conditions , the talpex work , i have also bin playing with the trapline type with good success, if i was setting hundreds like

Steve and Logan, I agree that the Duffus can be a very effective trap for moles,but ive felt for a long time now,that if a manufacturer could reduce the length of this type of trap,this would be beneficial.I admit to having no idea whether this would be possible!

think about it,?? the length of the trap dont matter,, its the distance between between trigger and hoop that matters !! but yes two inches smaller and a bit narrower be good ;)

Do you fine tune the barrel trap by bending the triggers towards the killing hoops?

i do f**k all.. im a bricklayer who only lays bricks ;)

I dont really give a f**k anyway, i dont use them... ;)

Steve and Logan, I agree that the Duffus can be a very effective trap for moles,but ive felt for a long time now,that if a manufacturer could reduce the length of this type of trap,this would be beneficial.I admit to having no idea whether this would be possible!

think about it,?? the length of the trap dont matter,, its the distance between between trigger and hoop that matters !! but yes two inches smaller and a bit narrower be good ;)

Do you fine tune the barrel trap by bending the triggers towards the killing hoops?

there we are then,,end of topic mate.

Great this forum eh... A forum dedicated to people who dont want to talk about............................................... :D

Great this forum eh... A forum dedicated to people who dont want to talk about............................................... :D

youn talk shit mate full stop :bye:

youn talk shit mate full stop :bye:

Really i get by in what i do and i have never had any complaints so i must be doing something right.. . Your the one started acting the c**t. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Doesnt have to be narrower for me,and a shorter trap would be much preferable.Interesting point about the distance between trigger and loop,and i think traps are now available,where the manufacturer has tried to address this.

Doesnt have to be narrower for me,and a shorter trap would be much preferable.Interesting point about the distance between trigger and loop,and i think traps are now available,where the manufacturer has tried to address this.

they havent addressed this.. it works and it will do,,well myselfe i dont think any thought has been put into traps for use in the uk for 30 years or more,, we relay on imports lot of the time when we have some fantastic trappers in this country who with help can bring british traps to british trappers,, i rant over this ..look at the doc,the tube trap,kania and more..im sure we could make better here and sort the real men from the ones who make money on others etc.

As far as im aware guys, 'proctors' latest barrel traps have been modified.Apparently ' Jeff Nicholls ' was consulted, and had an input in the slight design changes.You can read about this on the ' proctor site ' (news section),and i think the info may also be available on ' the guild of molecatchers ' site.

As far as im aware guys, 'proctors' latest barrel traps have been modified.Apparently ' Jeff Nicholls ' was consulted, and had an input in the slight design changes.You can read about this on the ' proctor site ' (news section),and i think the info may also be available on ' the guild of molecatchers ' site.

procter four miles from me,, they made in far east and same as any othrer trap sold . ok you can sqweeze them in a little but shows how thin the metal is,, i got loads here they ok but still need modifing,, even nicholls couldnt come upwith a newv type trapcould he,, and im sure proctor paid him a fee for being a consultant that didnt achive anything worth while. ;)

Here's an article about it, hope this is OK to post here if citing the source.

http://www.pest-stop.co.uk/procter-pest-stop-brings-in-the-expert-to-refine-the-design-of-its-barrel-mole-trap/

Procter Pest-Stop brings in the expert to refine the design of its barrel mole trap printButton.png emailButton.png

One man's name, above all, is synonymouse with the expert catching of moles: Jeff Nicholls. So when leading pest control products brand Procter Pest-Stop wanted to further refine the design of its half barrel mole trap (also often known as a tunnel mole trap) it was Jeff they turned to. Since its creation in 1920 by John Newton Duffus, the half barrel mole trap has changed very little. The patented trap design is without doubt the best and most efficient of all mole traps available, and it can be used in any location a mole is found. So how has Jeff improved the design of the trap? Jeff takes up the story... "The mole feels its environment through an acute nervous system stimulated by hairs on its body. This nervous system is so sensitive that any sudden shock will cause the heart to stop. It is this principal that the half barrel trap operates on - the ability to induce a fatal shock to the heart. Working with the advice from a top UK veterinary surgeion, we have considered these facts and improved the design accordingly: The loop of the half barrel is required to strike a rapid blow to the throax region of the body and impart a force to those vital organs contained in this area, the mole will then expire of that shock. To ensure this force is administered to that region, the distance between the trap loop and the mumble pins, when set correctly in their vertical positions, has been reduced by just 6mm. This allows for the trap loop to strike the smallest mole in the lower region of the throax, but not in the lower body area where an increased chance of suffering could occur, and directly in the upper thorax region of a larger mole. "In addtion, the Procter Pest-Stop trap employs 6.5 kilorgram springs which are sufficient to apply enough force. This force needs to be correctly directed into the thorax region and to complete this the bottom of the trap loop has been leveled flat. Therefore when the trap springs equally across the loop and in turn force the mole upwards almost level. The flat base of the loop will then ensure the body strike in the thorax region is also administered equally across the body." Andy Simmons, director of Procter Pest-Stop comments on the design changes and Jeff Nicholls' involvement with improving the trap:"The changes to the design may seem relatively small, but we think they're significant both in terms of how efficient the trap is and, importantly, how quick and therefore humane the kill is. Such considerations are central to our thinking at Procter Pest-Stop, and supplying the best high quality products to pest control professionals means always striving for perfection. So by using the legendary expertise of Jeff Nicholls ensures our mole traps really are the best on the market."