What's the cheapest to run 4x4?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wont get a 4x4 jeep which is cheap to run with the price of fuel in this country   Sounds like you may be better off getting an estate car

I cant immagine you going serious off road collie/grey unless I have misjudged you   We have a skoda octavia scout at the work. It has 4 wheel drive, will get you to all but the most serious spots

Diesel Nissan XTrail

Fuel consumption (urban)30.7 mpg Fuel consumption (extra urban)47.1 mpg Fuel consumption (combined)39.2 mpg

any good offroad?

Not sure will ask a mate who has done some 'research'

As for 'offroad' how bad is it going to get?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-lV3LNtCUkk

If its gonna be used in serious off road conditions few are brilliant.

My neighbour has a Suzuki Vitara 3 door and has converted it into a lamping waggon.

It goes through all sorts and he got it for about £500 (bargain)

Edited by masmiffy

+1 for the Scoda Octavia Scout!! was going to be my next car, until the parents decided to sell their scoda octavia estate...cant passs it up at the price so my 4x4 days will be temporarily suspended until the next car which will be the scout. the non 4x4 does 60mpg according to my folks at the moment. think the scout is about 50mpg?

atb

Diesel Nissan XTrail

Fuel consumption (urban)30.7 mpg Fuel consumption (extra urban)47.1 mpg Fuel consumption (combined)39.2 mpg

any good offroad?

They are not too bad although admittedly they are never gonna be a defender. so if your talking proper off roading it may be ambitious but should do the job for most lamping situations ie fields /tracks etc

Edited by lapin2008

I've owned a fair few estates and 4x4's and forget about cheaply running any large 4x4, my navara costs £110 to fill and that lasts 400 miles, tyres are 100 each etc etc, also forget subarus as the fuel economy on them is bad, insurance for someone your age will be shocking and they are a "puller". Some of the best estates i've owned have been astra diesels, renault lagunas, both of these were reliable, i could get 3 dogs in the boot with space, the astra was a 1.7 diesel and did 55mpg and the laguna was a 2.0 petrol that managed 33mpg. Two of the best around are ford mondeos and focus. .......

+1 for the Scoda Octavia Scout!! was going to be my next car, until the parents decided to sell their scoda octavia estate...cant passs it up at the price so my 4x4 days will be temporarily suspended until the next car which will be the scout. the non 4x4 does 60mpg according to my folks at the moment. think the scout is about 50mpg?

atb

I would say 50mpg driven normally, you could get more if you were carefull and you will get less if you thrash it.

I have been driving mine about in a foot and a half of snow on forestry tracks this week and I can assure you, people would be surprised where it goes.

Definately gets my vote.

Dont get a big 4x4 colie/grey you will regret it and you will never see your money back on it.

FTB

Diesel Nissan XTrail

any good offroad?

They are not too bad although admittedly they are never gonna be a defender. so if your talking proper off roading it may be ambitious but should do the job for most lamping situations ie fields /tracks etc

Can only agree with this.

Most of us want a 'lamping' motor fields tracks as you say.

Any '4WD' will cope with this its just the real bad bits that will bw a problem.

I am a Landrover fan and have owned one or two, but now having to squeeze three cars on the drive there wasn't the room. I bought a VVT Jimny and to be honest I thought it wouldn't be up to the job. Small it is, but it pulls my boats well, and it has surprised me by getting the punt off the shore without ripping up the ground or hardly spinning a wheel. I'm getting 40 to 45 mpg on petrol and these days it's looking more and more like a good buy.

I've owned a fair few estates and 4x4's and forget about cheaply running any large 4x4, my navara costs £110 to fill and that lasts 400 miles, tyres are 100 each etc etc, also forget subarus as the fuel economy on them is bad, insurance for someone your age will be shocking and they are a "puller". Some of the best estates i've owned have been astra diesels, renault lagunas, both of these were reliable, i could get 3 dogs in the boot with space, the astra was a 1.7 diesel and did 55mpg and the laguna was a 2.0 petrol that managed 33mpg. Two of the best around are ford mondeos and focus. .......

Have I read that right? Your getting about 22mpg from your Navara!!!!

Guest dee mac

Have I read that right? Your getting about 22mpg from your Navara!!!!

i get about 440 miles to 65 litres of fuel and thats driving steady in my navara but if doing a bit with dogs and shes in and out of four wheel drive all day she becomes a bit more severe on it .

atb

I would say 50mpg driven normally, you could get more if you were carefull and you will get less if you thrash it.

I have been driving mine about in a foot and a half of snow on forestry tracks this week and I can assure you, people would be surprised where it goes.

Definately gets my vote.

Dont get a big 4x4 colie/grey you will regret it and you will never see your money back on it.

FTB

that would be a serious contender if i was looking. the skoda that is :thumbs: