Sign in to follow this  
OldTrapCollector

The Stick Makers Thread

The reason tups (rams) horns are so hard to get hold of the swaley men (folk the farm Swale sheep) get a better price at the mart (auction) for a tup with a decent set of horns the reason they are cut from the tups is because they grow into the tups face and create sores and can also grow over the eyes.

Hope this helps someone!

lads what grade of sand paper do u use to get the wood so smooth an al most shiney like ?:blink:

i use decreasing grades of emery cloth,in grits 60 , 100 , 120 , 240 then 0000grade wire wool.

Yes, do it the same way with a camping stove, but notice how he keeps turning it and moving it, so the heat is not in the same place which may burn the bark, on whatever woods your using.

GIN ,

I ALWAYS WRAP THE SHAFT IN TIN FOIL .... STOPS SCORCHING ON THE BARK OR WOOD :thumbs:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

hey pipa that blackthorn was a rare find!

ive dropped on a few good blackthorns one piece thumbsticks, and all have been about an 1" thick with no taper :thumbs: ! i must have a good eye for em? lol

Edited by pipa

im looking to make a mono pod/beating stick and was wondering were i could get a tall seasoned stick from??

cheers guys

john boy