could not sleep, so went out into the dark with the big gun !!

It may be a great shot, if you like that sort of thing, but what about a follow up shot if it had been needed? Would it have been less or more easy if you had stalked this beast properly? Yes you didn't need a follow up this time, but you can't guarantee you won't next time.

ft

Im sure it makes f**k all difference to the beast what range you kill him at as long as you are confindent in your ability. Regardless of the distance, you killed it humanely after a good bit of thought so well done.

BH, as i said before, what if a follow up shot was needed, does it make it easier or harder at that range. I would say harder. It's a welfare issue, granted the lad did not need a follow up shot, but he might next time.

And I don't shoot foxes if I am more than 200yds away either. Shooting live quarry and paper targets are different, and different standards apply.

This "look at me I'm a sniper" attitude has no place in stalking. If the deer was injured, trailing wire or otherwise needed for the cull i could see the point of risking a shot at that distance. I would be one of the first to applaud such a merciful shot. But to shoot at an unijured deer at 400+ yards does not, in my eyes, make him worthy of praise.

ft

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good shooting, only you know how good a shot you are so non of us can criticise you. Plenty of people who are calling you for 'bad practise' would shoot a fox a 300+ if they felt confident so why not

Im not a stalker so i dont have the same attitude that most the stalking community do, however hunting ethics are somthing i do think about ALOT. What i am saying is you are all going on about the dis

Posted Images

Im not a stalker so i dont have the same attitude that most the stalking community do, however hunting ethics are somthing i do think about ALOT. What i am saying is you are all going on about the distance, well where do you draw the line, 100.....200.....300????? Simple and only answer is you draw the line with the distance you are capable of acheiving 100% accuracy within reason (obviously occasionally there will be a mistake even at 20 yards). If this lad feels hes capable of achieving this at 400 yards or whatever, just as you lot feel your capable at say 200 yards, who are we to say hes wrong to do it. Sounds very much like sour grapes to me "we cant do it with confidence so no one can". Secondary shots..... even at 50 yards an animal hit poorly may not present a secondary shot, ok so if he was closer he would have a 'easier' shot to make but hell isnt that always the case??

Doesnt at all seem to me rob is bragging about a 'sniper shot', just telling it how it is. If any one feels the need to out do him, then thats their fecking insecurities showing through. Each man enjoy your sport, share it with freinds and only compete with yourself and mother nature, the way it should be.

• Like 1

B.H.

No sour grapes here.

I do shoot foxes at 400+ if I have to.

I also cull 150-200 deer a year with clients and to my own rifle.

I could shoot an animal like a deer at 400m's if I had to.

All I've said its its against "best practice" and the sport of stalking is just that stalking.

Shooting a deer at 400m's is not stalking or is it sporting or ethical.

When you have seen wounded deer as I have many of which have been 50m's you suddenly decide 400m's is not cricket.

The variables on bullet flight and performance as well as us (the marksman) are to great on an animal which is so large.

Yes a large target but thats the point.

A fox hit with my 7mm rem mag at 400m's if even hit badly is 95% gauranteed dead.

Not so with a deer even at 50m's.

I see what your saying but you do not have all the facts and experience to back up your desicion.

Fair enough pal, just seeing it from different angles i suppose. Me personally i dont see a deer any different to a fox, rabbit, hare or rat. If the population requires managing then it should be done with equal respect no matter what the species. But thats just my opinion, i know alot of you stalkers respect the deer more than anything, not a bad thing i suppose. :good:

i think that if the chap "is out nearly every day" shooting vermin at the stated ranges (rabbit 300+ pigeon 200+) then it is safe to say he was confident of hitting a red stag at 400 (broadside/barn door compared to a pigeon).

i find that is the important factor.

the deer was shot from a hide and not "stalked" where once again i see a difference(stable rest,steady stand/seat).

i am by no means condoning shooting at 400m(i certainly could not have done that with my set up in germany,i could have with the military rifle l96 and out to 600+). its all about the ability,the set up and most importantly(i nearly left the "r" out of that :icon_redface: ) the situation in hand.

i respect the oppinions of the blokes who have (more than likely) shot far more deer than i ever will,but they are just that "oppinions" and they are as the saying goes like the proverbial orafice,everyone has one.

to the original poster.

how old was the stag?

waidmann

Shooting deer at long range is against who's best practice?

Dan, John is quoting "Best Practise Guideance" from all the bodies that advise on stalking as a sport, The Deer Initiative, The BASC and the BDS just to name three.

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/html/bestpractice.htm

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/deer-stalking.cfm

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/

Anyone who has shot at long distance paper targets knows how difficult it can be, how small the margins of error are. With deer, stalkers try their best to minimise anything that can cause a wounded animal. It is a respect and welfare issue. Just like not shooting at pheasants/ducks/geese that are too high for a clean kill, it is something not to be recommended. No one likes pricking birds and seeing them fly on, it's not best practise. It's just the same with deer.

ft

Good shooting, only you know how good a shot you are so non of us can criticise you. Plenty of people who are calling you for 'bad practise' would shoot a fox a 300+ if they felt confident so why not a deer? But thats alright because foxes are 'vermin'...

Im sure it makes f**k all difference to the beast what range you kill him at as long as you are confindent in your ability. Regardless of the distance, you killed it humanely after a good bit of thought so well done.

hi i must agree to this its dead so it was a good shot well done

and most here dont want to hear about it anymore then deer been chansed by dogs.

I've been waiting for dogs to be mentioned :clapper:

Personally, i would rather see ANY deer [and i often accompany my mate on a stalk] being ran by a dog, than shot at...... deer cant out-run a .243 :tongue2:

Of course, this being now under the hunting ban, i have to go stalking with a friend, to rely on my venison supply :gunsmilie:

and most here dont want to hear about it anymore then deer been chansed by dogs.

I've been waiting for dogs to be mentioned :clapper:

Personally, i would rather see ANY deer [and i often accompany my mate on a stalk] being ran by a dog, than shot at...... deer cant out-run a .243 :tongue2:

.................But then again dogs arnt selective like us ,in season or out it matters not to a lurcher :whistling: .

If the best practice guide suggests that a 4"group at 100 yards is the base standard then given my 300 rum will shoot 3"groups at 600 yards then by their standard I can shoot even further than that?

Best practice I am sure would apply to occasional stalkers but given that some people use their guns on a daily basis and are blessed with sufficient talent to shoot at distance then I see no reason why the range should not be extended and I am also sure given the way the OP wrote his post he is no amateur and was well aware of the consequence should his shot fail to hit the rather large target.

.................But then again dogs arnt selective like us ,in season or out it matters not to a lurcher :whistling: .

No, it doesnt matter to the lurcher if its in or out of season. Thats where the responsible owner would have come into play.

For instance, a few weeks back, i took a late evening walk out my lurcher. I was watching 4 roe deer through the bino's. There was a nice buck and 3 doe's.

Historically speaking, a person with respect of seasons, would not have slipped his dog at this time, as chances are, a doe would of been taken.

and NO, the evening in question, i didnt "accidently" slip my dog. Niether did i slip the dog on a rabbit, only to "accidently" take off after the roe.

Im not going to comment on range as i have been bad too if im honest & lost 1 deer in all my time. What i dont understand is the need for an axe if its in a field or was there under growth at a gate to cut??. You use knife's & saw's on deer & the gerber folding saw is a very good portable field saw if you need to use one but the pluck can be removed while leaving the ribs uncut till you get home & the pelvic area too so no axe's.