Boars in Oz

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Come on Ned........I need my next fix of the thread. This is by far, in my humble opinion, the most informative and interesting thread I have ever seen on THL.

Working dogs that do exactly what it says on the tin......and plenty of it. The dog pshycology part is also interesting Ned, I agree whole heartedly, 110%, if you can get inside a dogs head, to see what makes him / her tick, then you can improve a dogs performance from possibly mediocre to top shelf. If you have the tried and tested breeding, apply the same method / phsyci ( spelling lol), a good dog can be made into a very good dog.

I think the same could be said of any working dogs, from sheepdogs to boar dogs, if they do it under duress, you wont be overly impressed, if they do it because they WANT to do it, for theyr pack leader, your on to a winner every time. Thats my humble opinion for what its worth Ned. What are your thoughts on it?

B

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

G'day everyone, I'm back.

I have a lot to catch up on and I'll work my way through it as best I can. A few of the dogs are gone, a few younger dogs have come though and a lot of pig have bitten the dust. I have also started a free on-line magazine called Hands-On Hunting to keep you all informed when I am not on here. It's only been up and running for a couple of weeks but so far so good...

http://handsonhunting.blogspot.com.au/

There's also a Facebook page to highlight what's coming up.

https://www.(!64.56:886/HandsOnHunting?ref=hl

The magazine isn't just me. I am running stories from others including some international content so if any of you want to have a crack send your stuff to nedmakim@yahoo.com.au

I'm still working for the government in hunting admin and law enforcement and I'm still hunting. I have moved into a bit of fox and wild dog trapping as well so I don't know whether or not to have that on here or start a new thread. Ill work that out and happy to here some advice from you blokes as well.

Thanks very much for the continued interest. I'm always a bit amazed at it all but if you are happy to read, I'm happy to write. Anyway. I'll get some photos organised and get them posted. I look forward to talking to you all again.

Cheers.

Very kind of you to say. The part I write as a column just on my thoughts is tagged as The View From Camp. I have some guests write as well and I am trying to keep it reasonably intelligent. We get a caning in Oz from people who hate hunting and rather than call them names (ha ha) there are a few blokes who are attempting to elevate the debate and focus on the deeper aspects of the lifestyle.

The fight is on here at the moment and we are up for it.

Cheers.