All,

My Dad (whose nearly 70 )has been cage trapping a few grey squirrels in his garden that have been making a nuisance of themsleves round his bird feeder's.

You know the score emptying them out and ripping the mesh and generally being annoying. Well today, my Mom went to answer a knock at the door and found herself facing 2 RSPCA 'inspectors', who said they had been made aware that squirrels were being trapped and wanted to know 'how he disposes of the caught ones' (Which he does by shooting them with an air rifle incidentally) :whistling:

My Dad not knowing any better and being a law abding citizen, (which I don't believe he actually HAD to do by law, as the RSPCA have no legal rights) let them in to his garden and showed them his trap and his air rifle!!! Apparently they then went away satisfied after asking my Dad why he didn't like squirrels!!!! :thumbdown:

Has anyone else had an experience like this one?

Ade

ps about 2 hours after the RSPCA had been round, my Dad caught a squirrel that had been avoiding the trap for a couple of days!! :gunsmilie:

Some people have all the luck :laugh: God i wish they would come to my door and ask me the same questions.......i would have let them in as well. BUT.....they wouldn't have been able to leave until i had told them in no uncertain terms what i think of them and their animal welfare policies.........what a shower of sh*t. They wouldn't want to come back in a hurry i can assure you. Your dad obviously has a bunny hugger as a neighbour :hmm:

Rolfe.

The SPCA's are just as bad over here if not worse. And many of the SPCA's over here are under contract with our county governments to provide enforcement of animal related laws. They employ "animal control officers" to investigate cruelty to animals, rogue mole trappers, etc. The animal control officers have police powers, and wear police type uniforms and carry guns and badges. So what we have here are a bunch of self-righteous animal rights nuts given authority to enforce animal related laws.

About 10 years back, I had a series of run ins with these animal control officers from the SPCA that started with local residents calling in to report traps set on private property(I do a lot of mole trapping). Some instances were complaints from people who were opposed to trapping, others were calls from people who just didn't know what the traps were and were concerned. Not ever bothering to learn the law or to first check to see whether the traps might have been set by a legally operating licensed pest control business(which of course they were), the animal control officers in several cases responded by coming out to my clients properties, confiscating my traps, and leaving a printed form (which looked like a citation but actually wasn't), telling my customers that the traps were set in violation of the law.

I called the SPCA and the county offices which oversaw the "animal control" contract with the SPCA, demanding that my traps be returned and demanding to be told which laws I had broken, and in which courtroom it was determined that I had broken those laws, and the only response I would ever get out of them is that the matter was "under investigation" I demanded that a full report of their "investigation" be sent to me and to my customers involved, but of course there was never any report or retraction forthcoming. These SPCA officers weren't using their authority and their guns and badges to enforce the law as they were supposed to do, but instead, they were abusing their power and authority to push their own animal rights agenda. And they were doing this through the use of intimidation, not through the use of any legal or legitimate police procedure.

There were about 5 or 6 similar incidents over a period of a year or two, all involving the same kind of slander and libel and illegal seizure of my property as described above. Repeated complaints to county officials brought no response or correction of the situation.

About two years in to this, my sister in law just so happened to pass the bar exam and became a practicing attorney, and I was her first client. We successfully sued the local SPCA for $70,000 for slander libel, and violation of my constitutional rights. The director of the SPCA "resigned" about two weeks after our lawsuit was settled. And I have not had any problems from those idiots since.

Biggest bunch of A-holes I ever met.

Edited by Steve Albano

That is a truly great tale Steve! Wish that sort of thing would happen more often over here! Though there is a very good hunting lawyer operating in this country: I reckon we should set up some sort of fighting fund for people who can't afford the price of a lawyer: if everyone chipped in and donated a few pounds then there'd be a lot more heads rolling from the animals rights front.

That is a truly great tale Steve! Wish that sort of thing would happen more often over here! Though there is a very good hunting lawyer operating in this country: I reckon we should set up some sort of fighting fund for people who can't afford the price of a lawyer: if everyone chipped in and donated a few pounds then there'd be a lot more heads rolling from the animals rights front.

That would be a good idea. :good:

Thing is you'd have to make it absolutely clear from the start, that it wouldn't be used for cases of people getting their collar felt for leaving evidence plastered all over internet forums... :no:

Is this unbelievable because they went away satisfied without attempting to take the traps or the gun or anything or start any kind of legal case against you?

Hmm. Why would they it's perfectly legal.

It's unbelievable because they should know the law and not nother law abiding citizens.

Is this unbelievable because they went away satisfied without attempting to take the traps or the gun or anything or start any kind of legal case against you?

Hmm. Why would they it's perfectly legal.

It's unbelievable because they should know the law and not nother law abiding citizens.

Just because it's perfectly legal does not appear to have stopped them in the past. There are many posts on here about nightmare tales from the RSPCA taking the law into their own hands.

sminky

a bit off the subject but along the same line's i had a call from a elderly lady she had a fox in her garden injured and wanted it disposed of .i set two traps in her garden and within a couple of hours she had a visit from the RSPCA telling her we were breaking the law and liable to be prosicuted .a neighbour called them out now when i went to collect the traps this elderly lady was so distressed by there visit it was unbeliverble .and guess what when i called the RSPCA to find out who attended they had no idea who it was . should of put a bill in for loss of earning's to them SHITEBAGS .