hares

Guest lurch

what is the most hares anyone has seen killed on one day-single handed and during winter time,what dog was it and how were they bred

This is the ORIGINAL QUESTION.Why have we gone off the rails. It does'nt mention lamped hares, if people think that lamped hares are with out doubt easier to catch than daytime hares they are kidding them selves,as you can have a go course with lamped hares. At the end of the day it's about having enjoyment from watching your dogs work not numbers IMO :good:

it is obvious lamped hares are easier to catch as you wouldent catch 27 daylight hares with two dogs would you

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamped hares are easy prey, any half decent dog will take em.

Day time hares given a fair slip is what was :D the ultimate test for a hare dog. A pot filler well that would be a different matter. :ph34r:

Edited by Sorley x
Guest jeff.s

what is the most hares anyone has seen killed on one day-single handed and during winter time,what dog was it and how were they bred

This is the ORIGINAL QUESTION.Why have we gone off the rails. It does'nt mention lamped hares, if people think that lamped hares are with out doubt easier to catch than daytime hares they are kidding them selves,as you can have a go course with lamped hares. At the end of the day it's about having enjoyment from watching your dogs work not numbers IMO :good:

it is obvious lamped hares are easier to catch as you wouldent catch 27 daylight hares with two dogs would you

I HAVE A SMALLER LURCHER THAT HAS NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CATCH AN HARE IN THE WINTER IN DAYLIGHT BUT WHEN I,VE HAD HER OUT ON A NIGHT RABBITING SHE HAD HARES. jeff

andy im not knocking your dogs at all,and yes i can read thanks,27 hares is a hell of a lot doubled up or not,and theres not many dogs in the country that could do it i doubt,i myself have had very large numbers of hares at night and also some very very long courses,by putting this question up i wanted to hear of some coursing guys and their dogs,i did not want it to turn into a childish argument about lamped hares and daytime hares.

Guest lurch
In reply to a couple of your questions Baz,if you have ran hares you know that you don't get too many out of the seat :no: ,i'm lucky if i catch a handful per season out of the seat and i've seen me run the dogs all year and not take one out the seat :no: .Secondly i don't think you caught the hares up my way as there is none where i live :no: ,i travel anywhere in the region of 200 miles per night :icon_eek: to run my dogs,perhaps you meant north of the border where i do run,also you said in your last post it was unfair to rule out Saluki x's,i don't think :no: anyone has ruled out the Saluki x for anything Baz,but please correct me if i'm wrong.Also the crack with the Ginger Hunter is not the tale i heard but then again i wasn't there and it would be unfair of me to say otherwise,but what i will say Baz is that the GH should know the capabilities of your dog as he actually owned Molly the mother of Carson :yes: ,he bought it off a council estate in Carlisle for £80:blink: and if it had been up to his standards surely he would of kept it himself :yes: ,i'm pretty sure he knows how good Bob,Carson's father was too as i know for definite he has ran with it many times :yes: .I'm not doubting Carson's ability but imo mate you would just of been giving good hard earned money away if you had ran against Chester on the lamp.As i said if a dog doesn't make the GH high standards then it will not stay in his kennels,the dog which he has kept from day one has been Chester and in view of some of the dogs which he has owned,he says the best by a country mile is Chester,he is coming on 6 years old and i personally have taken nigh on 2,000 hares with him,and if i can use a quote made by your friend off your dvd "thats a proper dog",imo he is anyway.

Another quick question Baz,are your pups born yet or is the bitch in pup?.A friend of mine who you may know(Tommy from Falkirk) was telling me that Carson wouldn't mate the bitch :no: and you had to get his brother Blade to mate it :icon_redface: ,it's a b*****d when a good dog won't mate a bitch and you have to resort to a dog which isn't as good even though it has the same breeding.That will be a body blow mate as i know you were expecting decent money for the pups out of Carson,you may still pull a few quid for them but i know from experience if their not the real deal then you may well struggle with them.

can chester catch daylight hares given afair slip
Guest lurch

sorry guys-daytime hares i meant.lamping hares is one thing but lamping them doubled up is another.they are very big numbers that people have had,but its not fair to run 2 dogs at nite on a animal that is worthy of a better chance

Does that go for two bullx on 1 fox then :blink: And folk that think hares are easier on the lamp than day and say there easy prey have you run 30plus hares in one night??was your dog still standing???how many was in the bag??was the dog capable of doing this every night of the week???what type of ground??

superstriker do you think hares are just as hard to catch at night as they are in daylight

not getting into any more f*****g stupid arguments unless your answering my original question dont bother posting

Sorry mate :icon_redface: , you are spot on about daft banter.

If I am honest then i am yet to see a dog take more than 3 day time hares that have been given fair law. I know of dogs that have taken more that haven't worried about a fair slip. I know it is not a clear answer but there is a difference between the two. Def a good post.

sorry may not be the answer you are looking for. I do think it matters what part of the world you are in, round here it is wide open large fields. The hares (before ban, obviously) were coursed relentlessly by all and sundry. As aresult the ones that were left became very jumpy and exceptionally elusive.

I would say that in these parts large numbers are not easily achieved.

my pups are due 3 week on thursday, which are definatley out of carson, blade was with me for a week but purly because it was sold for £1700 profit. :D and surly if i was going to do a low trick like use another dog i wouldn,t make it common knowledge. unfortunatley while they were linin in my garden my mate had videod me out of his window and sent it to peoples phones, so i now look like i enjoy three somes with dogs :icon_redface: by the time molly came down our way she was only 12 month old, which is an early age to have decided if dog is going to be any good or not, imo.

Edited by baz

oohh sounds very bitchy this now.. richard knows nothing for a fact, carson has been lamping hares once, its to far to travel to do it more often, why would i be so low as to use another dog, i have a perfectly formed one that did the job 9 times. john even got a picture sent to his phone with the dogs tied. so that sounds a bit strange.as far as competitions go he,s already pulled out twice, so it would be a waste of time organising it again., and besides that its to much bitchin goes on with it. i know my self what dog lined judy as do the several people who were there on diffrent occasions. i have no reason to lie, the breeding is done for myself so i would only be lying to myself.now i hope this doesn,t turn into baz said this, ...richard said that....because i have nothing against the guy, i was only stating what happened in the past. ]

does any one have a picture phone, ill send them a picture of the wolly woofter hangin out of judy, pictures speak louder than words. infact ill send andy a picture of the big puff hangin out of another as well. :D

Andy super dogs -You are obviously a very well accomplished lamper of winter hares mate and fair play to you and your dogs.We do not have 20 hares around us to run but what we do see are over classed at night by a brace of mediocre lurchers to tell the truth and were into sport not slaughter .I think you would have posted anyway even if I never but thats my opinion .The numbers game has never appealled to me or anyone I know [except rats] so our lurchers will never be tested to breaking point as they must be ruunnig that amount of hares .I would rather take one daytime hare than 40 at night but then again I will never know what it feels like to run 40 a night .My original post at the start of this was meant as a joke but you obviously cant take one so I wont offend you anymore -promise .

foxdropper.

In reply wunwin,it doesn't actually state daytime it states winter hares,and as for you calling lamping hares unsporting i think you want to be calling the summer time hunters on here (they know who they are) unsporting,they are the tit heads who are unsporting.Every time a decent thread gets started it's not to long before the old Minshaw dogs get brought in,i don't give a f**k what anyone says about lamping hares,i don't like day coursing but i have no problem with the lads who choose to do it,at the end of the day it's each persons chosen preference,and imo over 80% of lads/lasses with lurchers lamp them,not every strain of lurcher is bred for daytime hunting thats why we have all different x's which are bred for individual tasks.Cheers Andy. :good:

good on ya Andy !!

ya cant beat a midnight run :good:

Brock you wanna go do some work rather than winding everyone up on here!! (joke!). Guys why don't we all calm down. Remember text is one dimensional and is difficult to get your point over without someone taking umberage this way. Personally I think night time hares on the right land and later on in the season can give a good account of themselves. Some of the numbers on here make me think i've run old duffers! of dogs, after the hares round wiltshire. The best dog I saw on the lamp next to Brocks on hares was Turks bitch 4 years ago and she would have struggled single handed to get into the early teens!