the price of ferrets

Ok, some of you guys on here me know me, some don't, basically this year I have put my best working ferret with Cols best working ferret (2 very very hard deep working ferrets) which don't leave sets until they are empty. yesterday she had her kitts and it looks like there is about 11 of them, was wondering roughly how much they would sell for preferably on forums like this where they will have good working homes.

The hob is a big white albino and the jill is a black eyed white so babies should be black eyed whites aswell?

I'm thinking around the lines of around £20.00 each??? does that sound unreasonable??? as i think that's what I would pay for a ferret from very good stock and keep the youngsters away who wouldn't look after them properly.

any comments or feedback appreciated guys and girls :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always given my kitts away including the coloured ones never charged a penny and a couple of years ago taking some to the midlands for guys

See, I have aswell in the past, never sold a ferret but people should understand us ferreters need things like new nets, locators, collars, diesel to farms etc etc not to mention food for them.

see what happens.

Personally i think as long as the kits are going to a good home they should go free , i dont buy this if you pay a lot for an animal it will get better treated, look at the amount of pedigrees in the dogs homes , someone payed for them at some point, didnt stop them ending up in there though

='John-B' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:21 AM' post='1025261']

='The one' post='1025256' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:18 AM']Ive always given my kitts away including the coloured ones never charged a penny and a couple of years ago taking some to the midlands for guys

See, I have aswell in the past, never sold a ferret but people should understand us ferreters need things like new nets, locators, collars, diesel to farms etc etc not to mention food for them.

see what happens.

I know mate but its your choice to ferret and nothings free ,see how it goes when every second advert is for free ferrts on the sites when they start eating you out of house and home moneys kinda the last thing you think of and some times you have real bother shifting hobs never mind £20 each

I rehomed a couple of unwanted hobs for free through this forum a couple of months ago.

They were last year's kits, good looking and handable poleys, but the person who taken them in when the breeder didn't want the litter hadn't been able to find them a home :no:

It cost me a fair bit in petrol to get them to their new home but I was just pleased to find them a really good working home :)

Ive always given my kitts away including the coloured ones never charged a penny and a couple of years ago taking some to the midlands for guys

see what happens.

:yes: i would buy a black eyed white hob off you when there ready

Problem is that everyone has working ferrets for sale at the minute, after they get to 8 weeks old and weaned, they eat a masive amount of food as you probably no for your self, when they reach that stage, everyone just wants to get rid of there kits as fast as possible, if you can get £20 for them then do it, if I have spares I knock them out for a fiver each, put money towards the up keep of my ferrets. :)

John asking £20 for a fert is a bit much IMO...good working stock or not.Most iv'e ever paid is £7 each & that was for my 2 silver hobs & the lad did'nt really want any money for them :) .

If i was to breed i would be happy for them to go to a good working home & if the person collecting wanted to pay i would reluctently accept no more than a £5.I would never breed for money :icon_redface: but to keep good working stock in my court i will at some point.... :o

Ok, some of you guys on here me know me, some don't, basically this year I have put my best working ferret with Cols best working ferret (2 very very hard deep working ferrets) which don't leave sets until they are empty. yesterday she had her kitts and it looks like there is about 11 of them, was wondering roughly how much they would sell for preferably on forums like this where they will have good working homes.

The hob is a big white albino and the jill is a black eyed white so babies should be black eyed whites aswell?

I'm thinking around the lines of around £20.00 each??? does that sound unreasonable??? as i think that's what I would pay for a ferret from very good stock and keep the youngsters away who wouldn't look after them properly.

i would give them to some young uns that have an interest ;)

im pleased ive got halfies for stud fees :thumbs::D

heard of garden centers selling them to moronic people for seventy...yes that's right 70 pounds and more

a local pet shop near mine does exactly the same.they will buy them in for three quid each and sell them on for fourty quid each and people are willing to buy them.they also sell heinz variety pups for over a hundred quid and cats/kittens for eighty.so if people are willing to pay fourty quid for a ferret from places like these,twenty quid is a small price,and at least you have a chance to see what the parents are like before spending youre hard earned cash when you buy from a genuine ferreter,not some two bit pet shop that only sells them for the profit margin

Unfortunately ferrets are one of the most undervalued creatures around. If you think of the number of rabbits they will hopefully bolt over their life time then £20 is a very small amount to pay. Unfortunately we can not change the world. I think you will be lucky to shift them all for that price. As has been said a good home is better than any money. Good luck with them and hope they go where they will be appreciated.