my Pup

Just an update on my pup.

My Grew x border Collie is now 14 wks of age and nearly 17" at the shoulder.

So far im very pleased with how the training is going, and im now concentrating more and more on progressing with it out in the fields and woods where it realy matters.

He will sit on camand even when a distance away from me and also knows the down position.

His retrieving is coming on realy well and he will now search for his Dummy,using his nose to locate it from cover. Hes also fetching from a good distance and presenting it to hand well.

M1.jpg

retrieveing from a distance....

M4.jpg

and up a steep bank in woodland.

His "STAY" is now coming on a treat and today seen me do our furthest so far of about 75 paces.

M3.jpg

staying well....

M2.jpg

and at a good distance....

So far ive always returned to him when a long stay has been done,but hopefully in the next few weeks the way things are progressing,im hoping to move onto calling him back in and then hopefully stopping him half way as he comes in using the down command . To be honest ive already had him doing this in the garden over a very small distance,so its basicaly just down to increasing the distance out in the field.

All the best......Lamps ;)

Well the little fellahs 16 wks now and coming on a treat :D .

All his training is coming on fine,and so far ive had not too many problems for me to worry about.

With him intended to later acompany me on ferreting outings, i thought today id introduce the Stop nets into our training. Ive already had him jumping obstacles that he could see through,so i was pretty confident anyway there would be no probs.

Now for people who have in the past used these nets with Running Dogs,they themselves will know just how Messy the introduction can be. Espeacialy if the first time they get to see one of these nets, is when a Bunny is pegging it towards one. This usualy ends up in one big almighty Tangle :cry: with the Dog in the net and the Bunny heading safely for home :D .

Im hoping by introducing him at an early age now,when we do eventualy get out where it matters,hopefully things will go a little bit smoother. :unsure: .

Anyway...a good start was had today and he took to Jumping them like a a Duck takes to water, with no misaps at all.

Im gonna carry on like this a few more times and then hopefully ill have him retrieving over the net next. Then ill try and see if i can get him leaving a dummy that ive thrown for him when it hits the net......Now that will be fun :blink: ..

netjump2.jpg

netjump1.jpg

Lamps...

Guest LEARNER

I LIKE TO SEE SOME ONE USING THIER COMMON SENCE WHEN TRAINING , AND ENTERING THIER PUP, TO THE FUTURE WORK IN THE FIELD. I,VE ALWAYS LIKED THE WHIPPET GREYHOUND X COLLIE, I,VE OWNED ONE , OFF THESE CROSSES AND SEEN OTHER,S AT WORK, IN MY OPINION , THEY HAVE THE EDGE ON THE FIRST CROSS COLLIE GREYHOUND, IT MAY BE THE WHIPPET BLOOD ,THAT CAN BE A DECIDING FACTOR, AS THE WHIPPET IN MY OPINION , IS A BETTER PLEASING DOG IN THE WORKING FIELD ,THAN A GREYHOUND, BUT THATS BESIDES THE POINT, LAMPER IS A MAN THAT KNOWS THE SCORE, AND IF HE AS THE SAME EXCITMENTS AND PLEASURES , BESS, GAVE ME IN THE HUNTS WE HAD TOGETHER, HE WILL FIND OUT THAT THE INPORTANCE OF TRAINING , IS JUST THE ICING ON THE CAKE, WAIT TILL THE REST COMES TOGETHER, GOOD LUCK.

Well Alfies 17 weeks now and i thought its about time he was introduced to a bit of feather in his training. One of the things i eventualy intend to use him for is retrieving shot whatever, so he might aswell get used to it now.

Anyway, i decided to use a Shot crow as i find these seem to hold their feathers better than some birds,espeacialy pigeons what can be a real nuisance when training a pup. A good tip is to put an elastic band to hold the wings in place just to make it easier for a Pup ;) .

Well like with most things, Alfie had no problems when introduced to a dead Bird and brought it straight back with no messing or mouthing.

crow2.jpg

Seeing that he was doing so well i decided to get the net out, and i got him to do a few send back retrieves over it.

waiting to be sent............................................................................

crow1.jpg

Nice retrieve back over the Net...........................................................

crow4.jpg

So far im realy pleased how his retrieve training is coming on and i have no worries.....saying that theres a long way to go yet ...

Lamps..

Guest CharlieC

nice pics there lamps, and its good to see he will retrieve the crows nae bother, not all pups will fetch these smelly buggers, Ive had some pups that will and some that spit them out in disgust, so your wee fella is obviously very keen and willing to please - good stuff :good::D