Here is a debate for you...

One of my 2 lurchers met ferrets for the first time at 3 Years old the the other has grown up with them. Apart from the current law they would both kill a fox and both work rabbiting together with the ferts. They need to realise ASAP that the ferrret is an ally, not a quarry. It's down to the owner. Cheers, D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was having a long debate with my boyfriend about ferrets and working dogs.

He is adiment you can train a dog to not kill a ferret...i disagreed as i have read on here [bANNED TEXT] people have owned dogs they thought were golden around ferrets then bang the dogs eaten the ferret.....

What do you all think?

FM

simple answer is........yes.

you can train a dog not to kill a ferret, my dog thinks the ferrets are higher up in the heirarchy than him, he moves out of the way for the ferrets and if a ferret starts to eat his food he will move away until they are finished. he will play with them but he often ends up on his back with the ferrets jumping on his stomach. he is as likely to bite them as he is to bite me!

Guest ROUGH COATED

I was having a long debate with my boyfriend about ferrets and working dogs.

He is adiment you can train a dog to not kill a ferret...i disagreed as i have read on here [bANNED TEXT] people have owned dogs they thought were golden around ferrets then bang the dogs eaten the ferret.....

What do you all think?

Check this link!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ROUGH COATED
ive got a lakeland x jrt ive had him since he was 3 1/2 and he will kill my ferrets given the chance

had a close shave trying to get him used to them and he jumped up and grabbed at my jills tail,she sprayed him and spun round and sunk her teeth into his chin and before he knew it he was upside down as i thought he had hold of her

apparently getting a evil ferret to bite your dog will stop the dog going near them again but mine still wants to kill them so has to be indoors when im handling the ferrets

bit silly realy as i got the ferrets thinking hed enjoy going out rabbiting with them

Thanks. that was i was meaning....some dogs u cannot train clearly. It all depends on the dogs u have. For those people who think this topic is a ridiculous waste of time reading :tongue2:

my dog is fine in the house or garden with my ferrets but once he is out hunting whatever comes out of that hole is getting it!! he is even ok with them when they are on the grass inbetween sets but once they are under its a diff story so watch it because i thought mine would be fine but they aint :censored:

If broken properly, no, broken is the wrong word.....

If brought up with ferrets from an early age, only miss handling a 'potential' situation 'could' result in a chopped ferret.

When I did keep ferrets all my dogs were sound with them, i'll admit the odd escape too but it never resulted in carnage, usually ending up with a ferret nosing round the dogs bed and the dog banging and clanging about trying to avoid it!

My old half cross bull greyhound was the last I had with ferrets. He was bomb proof with 'em but after the last of my ferret line went, I never replaced 'em.

About five years past since the dog seen his last ferret and we were out on the dunes for a lamp. We had a fox that night and about half a dozen bunnys, when the beam hit a set of 'different' eyes in the marem grass.

Fox cub was the first thought, as the eyes were so bright and so small but it was December and chances were unlikely. I couldn't make out what shape the critter was and against my better judgement I hissed my dog to go.

He'd seen the eyes from the start but knew his game and didn't run till told but as he tore down the beam i realy got a funny feeling about what was at the other end?

He dived into the grass for his strike and then bang! Jumped back as fast as he went in!! Jesus, thinks I, what in the world would make a 7 year old bull cross that had never let me down and killed everything he has been run on, with ease, shit like that?

I legged over as fast as I could, all the time he nosed in and out repeatedly looking back at me as he didn't know quite what to do.

I got there to find a large hob ferret 'dancing out' from its cover, hissing and spitting back at him, very much alive and unharmed, my old 'fat head' dog just didn't quite know what to do in the situation, all his old 'ferrets are friends' training must have had him in a right quandry as he was encouraged to 'run' one down the beam!

I praised him to the hilt and was as proud of that as anything else he ever done.

5 years and still sound!! I hope that tale is of help.

And the ferret, far too wild to tackle then and there, he went on his rabbit hunting ways, enough there for all...!

;)

Get the dogs used to ferrets from day one AND the ferrets used to the dogs.....and they'll even do a bit of babysitting for you :D

DSCF7075.jpg

last.jpg

baby1.jpg

Cheers

OBE

Awwww thats so cute :icon_redface::icon_redface:

My setup is not typical the ferrets have the run of the house at all times. They mostly live in the basement but have tubes that go up into the kitchen and the backyard. My dogs have to be 100% as they are unsupervised all the time with the ferrets. My older dogs were brought up with them and are fine. I recently got a lurcher from a ranch, kept outside minimally handled she was a bigger risk. I spent a lot of time with her and the ferrets and she came around no problem.

The ferrets are more of a issue as they love to screw with the dogs. My old dog seems to think they are puppies that wont grow up and is resigned to tolerating them. They will stick thier weasel nose up his arse and he just growls or moves away. I know my dogs and trust them and that is the key with any interspecies relationship with your animals.

all the best dirtwinger

If brought up with ferrets from an early age, only miss handling a 'potential' situation 'could' result in a chopped ferret.

When I did keep ferrets all my dogs were sound with them, i'll admit the odd escape too but it never resulted in carnage, usually ending up with a ferret nosing round the dogs bed and the dog banging and clanging about trying to avoid it!

My old half cross bull greyhound was the last I had with ferrets. He was bomb proof with 'em but after the last of my ferret line went, I never replaced 'em.

About five years past since the dog seen his last ferret and we were out on the dunes for a lamp. We had a fox that night and about half a dozen bunnys, when the beam hit a set of 'different' eyes in the marem grass.

Fox cub was the first thought, as the eyes were so bright and so small but it was December and chances were unlikely. I couldn't make out what shape the critter was and against my better judgement I hissed my dog to go.

He'd seen the eyes from the start but knew his game and didn't run till told but as he tore down the beam i realy got a funny feeling about what was at the other end?

He dived into the grass for his strike and then bang! Jumped back as fast as he went in!! Jesus, thinks I, what in the world would make a 7 year old bull cross that had never let me down and killed everything he has been run on, with ease, shit like that?

I legged over as fast as I could, all the time he nosed in and out repeatedly looking back at me as he didn't know quite what to do.

I got there to find a large hob ferret 'dancing out' from its cover, hissing and spitting back at him, very much alive and unharmed, my old 'fat head' dog just didn't quite know what to do in the situation, all his old 'ferrets are friends' training must have had him in a right quandry as he was encouraged to 'run' one down the beam!

I praised him to the hilt and was as proud of that as anything else he ever done.

And the ferret, far too wild to tackle then and there, he went on his rabbit hunting ways, enough there for all...!

;)

Brilliant!

Hi These 2 little terriers of fox hunters are great with the ferrets. When they hear the ferrets bell they even move out of the ferrets way. Very clued in little dogs.

S7302060.jpg

S7302057.jpg

S7302052.jpg

S7302027.jpg

The above lurcher is only young. He has only come ferreting a couple of times with us. After a couple of mins and 2or 3 times the ferret in and out of the holes he was broke to them. He is proveing to learn very quickly.

Good pics pal! Thanks for the post. Umm a bell...now thats an idea ;)

;)

Brilliant story pal! Thanks very much for sharing that with us! Hehe makes u giggle really. It is amazing how animals work together even with such a big break in between!

Thanks again Bosun

• 2 months later...