foxhound x greyhound

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be bit like rhodesian ridgeback x grey that would be a nice dog

been thinkin bout this one myself i got a deerhoundxgreyhound 25" great dog fast not to heavy my neighbour got a ridgeback male quite a racy type but very strong about 27". anyone ever tried this mix? just a thought as do a lot of lamping and thought the stamina and reliability of the ridgeback cant be a bad thing?

read a book about a ridge back hunting fox years ago. bred for hunting lions in packs, tells me alot about stamina. i recon it would be a very good dog, someone just needs to take the risk probably pay off, ide have a pup

i had harrier collie greyhound wos fond of hunting on whilst on the lamp a friend had a foxhound greyhound

1/2 bred wos gud dog on fox very strong

i know of 2 seperate litters 1 litter in 1/2 rode 1/2 grey the rode in that wos used is an animal and a half

the other is 1/4 rode 1/4 bull 1/2 grey if interestd

got one 20 weeks old.

me to :tongue2:

me to i got two !! fly77 if you want ant pictures of the dam or sire to your pup, just let me no via pm and il send you some thro mobile, mate.

i got the pic. very nice i am going to use the sire to my pup. he is a belter :victory:

Best of luck with it, but theres probably good reason why this X isn't very a common one.

Best of luck with it though.

Aye, best of luck with it.

Though, as above, I think the main reason as to why this cross has never been popular is simple...... Noise!!!

Best of luck with it, but theres probably good reason why this X isn't very a common one.

Though, as above, I think the main reason as to why this cross has never been popular is simple...... Noise!!!

to tell you the truth thats whats holding me back i dont want a opera singer out lamping but i think if they dont carry the noise then they should be handy, good stamina, good feet and strong built too, but i have a few people that will hold a couple each so i hope atleast a couple of them dont sound on the chase

i think you might be right there (but cant you just put a peg on it when lamping :cry::laugh: i thought that that was good for me. i will get some pic of my pup up soon he is comeing on well he is only 23 24 week old but he is growing fast and is not scared at all. loves barking at the window cleaning man :laugh:

to tell you the truth thats whats holding me back i dont want a opera singer out lamping but i think if they dont carry the noise then they should be handy, good stamina, good feet and strong built too, but i have a few people that will hold a couple each so i hope atleast a couple of them dont sound on the chase

Dead right Fenman, stamina, good feet and tough build are all admirable qualitys to have BUT for a lamping (dare I say poaching lurcher) not all in the litter will sing but the problem is..... which ones??

Not a gamble I would take.... ;)

Bosun11, I think you nailed it. I wouldnt want this cross either if I hunted the way alot of yall do. I dont really think there would be alot of purpose to it nor do I think I would risk the chance of having one "yap" but where I live and what I hunt, it has and will work out just fine.

Dead right Fenman, stamina, good feet and tough build are all admirable qualitys to have BUT for a lamping (dare I say poaching lurcher) not all in the litter will sing but the problem is..... which ones??

Not a gamble I would take.... ;)

i got 2 friends that will hold 2 pups each and il hold 2 back aswell so that would be 6 thats if the bitch has this many, my friends have said if the 2 i have sound and theres dont then i can take 1 of theres back, they do alot of mooching and ferreting so they dont mind a bit of yapping they should have a good nose for marking rabbit warrens when ferreting and thats what they really want them for, its a chance you gotta take that im willing to take

never mind the noise, you shant hear them when their in the next parish.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: @ Wink Hound

Lurcherlad, those dogs look very handy critters, fair play to you.

I'd be the last to deny what virtues a Foxhound, Harrier etc could/would bring to a working lurcher BUT lets stick to genuine first cross stuff here and look at the other side.

If you bred a litter and you happen on a silent one and you have a few mates who may take a couple more, even if they sing. What of the rest....?

Sell 'em on, only to find out their new owner can't stand the noise, let alone the farmer who's land he's sneekin on and to top that, as Winky so eliquently put it, they hit a line and 'whoosh'..... It's deffed you out, a speck in the distance and is heading straight for the nearest road, which would be an easy way of getting it back! Or, if your lucky it's picked up the following day and you gotta pay £80 to get it from the nearest 'home'!!

Lurchers have been around for a long time....

Foxhound's and Greyhounds, even longer and i'm sure the dog men of old knew far, far more than most of us.... for a poaching dog, never the twain shall meet.....!

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone have any pics of any foxhound x greyhound or something similar....

on page before is foxhound x bullgreyhound

hmmmm im starting to like these foxhounds. would b nice to find a 1/4 hound 3/4 grey. compared to a bull saluki greyhound the hound would compensate for the salukis stamina and the bull in only 1 breed so if bred right could end up bein a serious bit of tackle