Terriers for ferreting

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A complete pain in the arse!

On there own, a good one will leave no stone left unturned, and find every rabbit anywhere, on any ground, but on the downside, will kick off with other dogs and will try you patience for years and years!

i beg to differ, ive got a 3 year old Patterdale dog that works very well with my ferrets, marks up works te bury off the lead, and doesnt fight with any other dog working. :whistling:

Must admit, don't let my own experience of a large over- violent russel dog sway your judgement in any way, shape or form. (he's a pig full stop, but a thorough pig at that!)

A well said terrier is priceless for marking, but thats where it ends. Average lurchers bring more to the table to be honest, and thats from somebody who loves the ability of a terrier.

totally agree, i would chose a lurcher everytime for ferreting, but i like to have a few strings to each one of my dogs bows..

my lurchers a fishing companion :icon_redface:

as well as a competant picking up dog :whistling:

my terrier is also a useful beating and rough shooting dog... :tongue2:

fek me mate your like sam worp full ov shit lurcher fishing companion its how old again do you own the damm to must have been in her belly your profile says pup minshaw lol mek your mind up sam o meen nocturnal hunter lol

our JRT bitch is great to take ferreting, not only letting us know what hole the action is happening at, but she also keeps an eye out for ferts that have surfaced un noticed, and are running off, only last week she spotted "nipper" making a dash through the undergrowth towards the next un netted warren

post-5267-1238124832_thumb.jpg

horses for courses lads i always use terriers and runningdogs(whippets) where i'm from Theres lots of rough ground bramble hedgerose and reedbeds the terriers work the rabbits out for the whippets/lurchers And they mark any holes so nothin gets away when ferreting well thats how i like to think lol

post-13669-1238146736.jpg

post-13669-1238147227.jpg

post-13669-1238147250.jpg

post-13669-1238147439.jpg

post-13669-1238147523.jpg

post-13669-1238147618.jpg

post-13669-1238147676.jpg

Edited by whippetmike

Are decent bred beddies easy to come by? Have a terrier spaniel and I never thought to see the dam at the time, but the dog looks a lot like yours, only springerish too. Good enough bitch but no pace.

Edited by ferreterni