what the best caliber for shooting mainly Roe & Foxes

56 members have voted

1. 1. best caliber for roe & Foxes

• .30-06

Hi,

hoping to get a rifle for Mainly Roe & Foxes within the next year and wondering what the best calibe would be for my uses. these are the calibers i hear of most people using for my uses. so please vote and comment.

If you want a truly double duty rifle then go for 243. If your main use will be deer, with foxes only as an opotunity target I'd go (and have got) 308, it really is a do it all calibre.

.243 every time, I was doing a few munties and a lot of foxes with a .22-250, never had a problem with it but am getting asked to help out with a few Roe so had to put in for a variation and have bought a T3 lite in .243. Loads of people round here use them as a dual purpose fox/deer rifle and get on really well with them. 55g Winchester ballistic silver tips are awesome through them but we had problems with too much carcass damage on the munties, my mate is now on Sako 85g hollowpoints, when the variation comes through I'll try something a bit lighter with a soft point, hopefully a bit flatter, same stopping power with acceptable carcass damage.

Why do some people not want to use the .243 for fallow and red..... :icon_eek: If you can place the shot you will haveno problem,

The .243 is the true dual purpose calibre, however if you havn't got the confidence to take the shot then the .308 is the right choice..

Snap.

Why do some people not want to use the .243 for fallow and red..... :icon_eek: If you can place the shot you will haveno problem,

The .243 is the true dual purpose calibre, however if you havn't got the confidence to take the shot then the .308 is the right choice..

Snap.

Not sure what you mean "if you havnt got the confidence to take the shot then the .308 is the right choice" Cant see how the difference in caliber effects confidence. I have got every confidence in my Sako 75 .243, it is superb. Where I put those cross hairs is where the shot places. TOTAL confidence....Just getting a .308 ASWELL cos I am a bit of a rifle tart!....I want both, simple as. Nothing to do with lack of conficence...Belive me.

Im no authority on rifles but im going to have my tuppence worth anyway. I voted for .243 . A friend of mine has a 243 and 90% of his shooting is roe and foxes. He swears blind its the dogs bollox for them and having been out with him plenty i can see what he means.

My 223 drops foxes with ease and i suspect it would easily drop a deer too, not that ive tried,and with that said, why take a stick to crack an egg.

A 243 is the perfect round for fox and deer and legal for larger deer should the need arise.

Snap.

Not sure what you mean "if you havnt got the confidence to take the shot then the .308 is the right choice" Cant see how the difference in caliber effects confidence. I have got every confidence in my Sako 75 .243, it is superb. Where I put those cross hairs is where the shot places. TOTAL confidence....Just getting a .308 ASWELL cos I am a bit of a rifle tart!....I want both, simple as. Nothing to do with lack of conficence...Belive me.

Sorry if i worded that wrong mate, but what i was trying to get across is that if you are not confident with placing a shot with a .243, and need a little more room for error, then the .308 gives you that advantage of greater ft/lbs energy.

meaning you have a little room for error with a larger calibre.....

larger calibre does indeed give the shooter a little more confidence in knowing that if the shot is slightly of target, then the larger calibre will do enough damage to make sure the animal does not go far......

snap. ;)

I think you will find that if it is your first rifle, and want it for roe and fox, the biggest they (Police) will let you have is a 6.5x55. This is certainly the case in West Mercia. I wanted a .308 but they would not let me have it for fox as well as deer. So I voted .243.

Madness. A safe shot is a safe shot regardless of calibre, but not according to the firearms department.

ft