Anyone From Australia

I just got myself a skilled migration visa for Australia, thinking about moving somewhere south of Perth. I just wondered about the hunting there, do people hunt rabbits with dogs much, i seem to hear about mainly bigger stuff. I was thinking about training up a collie/greyhound and taking it with me, i'd be glad of any information anyone can give me.

Cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got myself a skilled migration visa for Australia, thinking about moving somewhere south of Perth. I just wondered about the hunting there, do people hunt rabbits with dogs much, i seem to hear about mainly bigger stuff. I was thinking about training up a collie/greyhound and taking it with me, i'd be glad of any information anyone can give me.

Cheers

hi andy, best of luck if you decide to go over there, in australia they use cattle dog crosses,which are a very robust type of dog,phil Llyod use to own and run a bitch called speckle ,which was a cattle dog cross greyhound,she was a excellent ferreting and lamping bitch.she starred in coney catcher 1.also david sleight,from doncaster,works and breeds kelpie crosses, which they work in australia, and newzealand,and which are a very good dog.regards collie john.

Cheers

hi andy, best of luck if you decide to go over there, in australia they use cattle dog crosses,which are a very robust type of dog,phil Llyod use to own and run a bitch called speckle ,which was a cattle dog cross greyhound,she was a excellent ferreting and lamping bitch.she starred in coney catcher 1.also david sleight,from doncaster,works and breeds kelpie crosses, which they work in australia, and newzealand,and which are a very good dog.regards collie john.

Hello John, yes i see alot of cattle dogs out there on my last visit, many looked like real tough dogs, maybe have some dingo blood. I also though it would be good to take over some fresh working blood, a friend told me it is only 30 days quarantine so i think that would be acceptable.

Good Hunting

Cheers

Hello John, yes i see alot of cattle dogs out there on my last visit, many looked like real tough dogs, maybe have some dingo blood. I also though it would be good to take over some fresh working blood, a friend told me it is only 30 days quarantine so i think that would be acceptable.

Good Hunting

what are you thinking of taking over there. regards collie jihn.

Cheers

Good Hunting

Well if i took a first cross collie greyhound then i would at least have enough collie blood to breed again with a greyhound to get some 3/4s.

Cheers

Good Hunting

Well if i took a first cross collie greyhound then i would at least have enough collie blood to breed again with a greyhound to get some 3/4s.

i think that would be your best bet,using collie blood called only improve your breedind programme. regards collie john.

Cheers

Good Hunting

i think that would be your best bet,using collie blood called only improve your breedind programme. regards collie john.

Taking my own dog could also be a good way to make friends there

Guest ozhound

Hey mate I live in Australia but in the eastern part of the country. I think rabbits foxes and roo's are the most common game out west. There isnt any hares as far as I know but we've got heaps over this side. If you are serious about bringing your dog you better have deep pockets and they better be full. It is minimum 30 days quarantine but you need to get a heap of bloodtests as well prior to shipping. Also the actual flight itself is about double (or more) that for a human. I dont know how our money compares to yours but I just spent $6000 importing a dog from the states so if anyone can give you an idea in pounds you will be on the right track. They need alot more tests from over there but the flight is cheaper than from the UK so I reckon you would be up for the same, the airfare is the main killer. There heaps and heaps of running dogs out here, not so many in WA but Im sure we could get you one sent over when you get here.

Why the hell are you thinking of going to WA for? There isnt as much game to hunt and man it gets damn hot out there.

Hey mate I live in Australia but in the eastern part of the country. I think rabbits foxes and roo's are the most common game out west. There isnt any hares as far as I know but we've got heaps over this side. If you are serious about bringing your dog you better have deep pockets and they better be full. It is minimum 30 days quarantine but you need to get a heap of bloodtests as well prior to shipping. Also the actual flight itself is about double (or more) that for a human. I dont know how our money compares to yours but I just spent $6000 importing a dog from the states so if anyone can give you an idea in pounds you will be on the right track. They need alot more tests from over there but the flight is cheaper than from the UK so I reckon you would be up for the same, the airfare is the main killer. There heaps and heaps of running dogs out here, not so many in WA but Im sure we could get you one sent over when you get here.

Why the hell are you thinking of going to WA for? There isnt as much game to hunt and man it gets damn hot out there.

Hello mate, i had a feeling it would be expensive about £2500 i guess also the heat could be a problem for a British dog. I went across to Perth with my mate last year he's from Victoria was living in Melbourne, he said the hunting was good in Victoria but he had never heard of lurchers, he had lamped roos mainly from the back of a pickup. What do you use to course hares there? I decided on WA because of the slower pace of life, real rat race here close to London.

Thanks for your info

not half wrong about the slow pace here

if you come over to perth, then u want to look for a staghound/roo dog, u have a hundred chances more of getting one of them then a lurcher type, unless as u said you import one

in perth u dont get hares, or if you do ive never heard of any

but other game is here

Hey Shepp, I made the move here 5 years ago, and its the best decision I have ever made. Also brought over a Staffordshire Bull Terrier here with me. It cost a friggin fortune to do. There are some great dogs here. I purchased a Staghound (also known as Lurchers in the UK) here, and she is "THE BEST" dog I`ve ever owned. Takes on anything from a rabbit to a Roo. She also retrieves to hand (except Roos!!!) whether its caught by her or shot by me.

Guest ozhound

From what Ive heard anything would be slower than London. The best hare dog Ive had was a D/houndxSaluki over a parsons JR x G/hound. Looked alot like a small smooth strong G/hopund x. His mother was a cracker too and had caught 12+ in a night. If you want dogs sent over from Vic I can try and organise it when you get here it would have to be cheaper, quicker and easier than bringing one with you. Get onto your mate too if he wants a dog let me know. I dont have any for sale but I reckon I could organise one for him, where abouts is he? Most country towns you will see a few staghoundss getting around on utes.