Help choosing a first Bike..

I've booked my first lesson on a Bike for 7th April and now need to think about what Bike to get :yes:

I'll be 17 soon and am only a small lad (5ft 7)

I've had experience on a 100cc Scooter (done 70mph), a 60cc Crosser & a little Minimoto.. Never rode a Geared Bike though.

Ideally I'd like a Supermoto but Money's really low so was thinking about other Bikes..?

From what I've read It's best to stay away from the Smaller Bikes as you'll end up getting bored?

What do you lot recommend?

Cheers, Butch :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Scuba1

My reccomendation would be to get a Suzuki SV 650 and have it restricted till you get your full licence. They run for ever and you won't get bored with one of them for a long time to come. I have had mine for a while now and stil love to rude it.

HTH

Michael

your right about not getting to smaller a cc, but dont go over the top, you just admitted you aint got loads of cash, which bigger bikes can cost, and carry on costing to keep running, buying a cheap higher power bike is gonna cost when it goes wrong, also, dont just "expect to pass" we sold wasp's (my missus) bike, a 250cc hornet to a young lad who knew he would pass, he's now on his 3rd attempt

I'd look into a 600cc, but with the restrictor plates in, bringing it down to the 33bhp, it'll still do a ton (100mph)

Im gonna say, look at second hand HONDA HORNET 600, if you look around 98 2000 plate, they can be picked up cheapish

If you're really strapped, look at a grey import 400. Choose a popular model and spares aren't a problem, and they do restrictor kits for them.

Not if you're over 5'10" though, you'll end up riding with your knees round your ears if it's a sportsbike. :D

SV650 good starter bike :)

Wouldn't look at an RS250 for your first big bike - 2 stroke = expensive oil + 4x4 running costs + rebuilds = Skint. That and the fact insurance is likely to be ridiculous on them. You want a 4 stroke for your first bike. I'd even consider something like a CB500/ER5/GS500 for a year, learner schools all over the country can't be wrong :)

My reccomendation would be to get a Suzuki SV 650 and have it restricted till you get your full licence. They run for ever and you won't get bored with one of them for a long time to come. I have had mine for a while now and stil love to rude it.

HTH

Michael

A good bike the 650 sv i use to have one i have the sv 1000 thats better good bikes
If you're really strapped, look at a grey import 400. Choose a popular model and spares aren't a problem, and they do restrictor kits for them.

Not if you're over 5'10" though, you'll end up riding with your knees round your ears if it's a sportsbike. :D

Thats how I started with a restricted NC35. Baby blade, NC30 or a zxr 400. :notworthy:

i have had all sorts of bikes over the years,but last year i got my mrs into bikes so to go out with here till she passes here test, i bought a 03 gs500 what a great little bike its a small bike for my 6"4 but not that uncomfortable,i bought it restricted thinking of here if she passes,i think there great and i have ridden all sorts,for a first big bike i think highly recomended bomb proof motor

i have had all sorts of bikes over the years,but last year i got my mrs into bikes so to go out with here till she passes here test, i bought a 03 gs500 what a great little bike its a small bike for my 6"4 but not that uncomfortable,i bought it restricted thinking of here if she passes,i think there great and i have ridden all sorts,for a first big bike i think highly recomended bomb proof motor

susuki dr 400 run on road wheels then when :good: you get some more cash buy a set of supermoto wheels and swap em over as and when you want best of both worlds good luck with the test