Help choosing a first Bike..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

look mate go on to hbc salvage and there is bikes there that where rote of and are dirt cheap.some bikes need scratches sorting out and they are dirt cheap mate. pm me and i wil tel you how to acces the motobike departmendt on there

i have had all sorts of bikes over the years,but last year i got my mrs into bikes so to go out with here till she passes here test, i bought a 03 gs500 what a great little bike its a small bike for my 6"4 but not that uncomfortable,i bought it restricted thinking of here if she passes,i think there great and i have ridden all sorts,for a first big bike i think highly recomended bomb proof motor

The GS is a good bike, cheap to buy and run. Only problem is that the finish is a bit lightweight.

Others in the same mould are the Kawasaki ER500 and the Honda CB500. The Yamaha Diversion/XJ 600 is another.

Get to a big dealer and throw a leg over as many options as possible and then look out for 'The Bargain'. And take your time. The world is stuffed full of secondhand bikes.

go for a crf 250 or dt 125 unrestricted im in ipswich to whare are u im up whitton mate

What oes everybody think of Honda CBR 400's?

Butch

The 400 Hondas are built like Swiss watches. Bloody superb first bike and will keep up with the bigger stuff in the twisties.

Just make sure you get a model for which spares are available.

I've known several people who've had these bikes, and apart from the odd longish wait for spares there's never been a problem with them.

Oh right, why are they a c*nt to work on? And Is there much difference between a RVF & a VFR?

Butch

The RVF and VFR are V-4's. So getting at the front bank of carbs can be 'interesting'. They are also built very compact, not a lot of room in the frame, so maintainance takes quite a while. You need to dismantle half the bike.... :laugh: The RVF is the 'sports' version of the VFR, which in 750/800 form is a sports-tourer.

The CBR is an in-line 4, so the carbs are all at the back of the cylinders. Easier to get to.

Just phone a local dealer and get the prices. It's not to put you off the RVF/VFR, just a heads-up. I'd buy either of them tomorrow if I needed a bike.