Help choosing a first Bike..

Have you thought about an Aprilia 125mx, its a supermoto with the same engine as the RS125 so unrestricted you're looking at around 31bhp (just under the limit no need for restirctor plates etc)

fullblack01webka0.jpg

Edited by parksie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm starting to confused.. I've been looking at the Insurance on a CBR 400 but there seems to be loads of different ones (NC24, NC25, CBR R NC23 Grey, CBR RR NC23 Grey and the NC 29) :blink::blink:

Butch

Age plays a part, although I was under the impression the NC24 was the VFR earlier model, NC25 was a Bros? Don't forget, Honda had loads of 400s, VFR, RVF, CBR, Bros, CB, to name ones I can think of. The ones which are "Grey" are imports, although I was always under the impression CBR's were always imports? You'll also need to take your time, because everyone had the same idea, bought them, run them without the maintenance knowledge in 90% of cases, and then flog it on. Always be aware that plastics are going to cost you about the same as the bike if you bin it ;)

I've booked my first lesson on a Bike for 7th April and now need to think about what Bike to get :yes:

I'll be 17 soon and am only a small lad (5ft 7)

I've had experience on a 100cc Scooter (done 70mph), a 60cc Crosser & a little Minimoto.. Never rode a Geared Bike though.

Ideally I'd like a Supermoto but Money's really low so was thinking about other Bikes..?

From what I've read It's best to stay away from the Smaller Bikes as you'll end up getting bored?

What do you lot recommend?

Cheers, Butch :D

this is mine love it.. but at 5.7 you would need to lower!!

post-945-1236877566_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to confused.. I've been looking at the Insurance on a CBR 400 but there seems to be loads of different ones (NC24, NC25, CBR R NC23 Grey, CBR RR NC23 Grey and the NC 29) :blink::blink:

Butch

Just different models.

The higher the number, the more recent the model. The CBR RR is the 'baby Blade', very similar to early FireBlades.

'Grey' means a grey import. It's been imported as a second hand bike direct from Japan by a dealer. Spares can be a problem with greys, if not many were imported.

There's a little mag called 'Used Bike Guide' that'll give you the info, I think.

hi mate i would stay away from the 400's and 250's and big bikes as when you pass ur test at 17 u are restricted to 33 bhp, but there is a bike which is 35 bhp and u dont need to restrict it, it is a cagiva mito 125cc my mate had one and it was a belting bike and it was very quick, if i was lookin for a first bike it would defo be one of them, cheers karl

Ahhh that clears It up, so out of the lot what one would you go for?

Butch

Any one that met the criteria of good spares availability, and that was cheap. The newer the better, but they'll all do for you as a first big bike.

Don't piss about with a 125. They're fragile and costly to maintain. The Mito is a belting looking bike (as is the Aprillia) but reliable they ain't.

I'm pretty set on a Honda 400 :yes:

How quick will they do Restricted? For the track days obviously.. :whistling:

Butch

Mine standard and unrestricted does roughly 0-60 in 4.6ish seconds and tops out around 125-130. It would do a "ton" with the restrictors fitted but it took a while to get there. :icon_redface:

400 greybike forums helped me out a lot when I got started. I am not sure if that link still works as the site is blocked at work. Or Google 400 greybike if the link is broke.

Cheers, I want a Bike that once the 2 Years are up I can De-Restrict and keep for a while hence why I'd like atleast a 400cc :yes:

Butch

That's good thinking, Butch.

Whatever you choose just make sure you can get stuff like tyres (some of the early ones had rather unusual sizes) spark plugs and filters.

You don't want the bike off the road for weeks while you wait for spares.

I've known a few lads that have had 400's for years after they could have had a bigger bike, because what they lack in outright power they more than make up for in fun value. You'll keep up with bigger bikes in the twisties, maybe even leave them behind.... :laugh: