Oooh what a nice pair !!!

After speaking to Ratcherman recently he told me he had just bought his new .243 and would appreciate going lamping with someone who had a bit of experience lamping foxes and using centrefires.

I told him no problem and after phoning him yesterday we agreed to have a look out last night , unfortunately he hadnt had a chance to zero his rifle yet so I said I would just take my rifle and he could shoot that .

We discussed safety etc and he was fully aware and appreciated that safety is always paramount.

We called to a golf course where Ratcherman has the permission to shoot. I started the proceedings with a vixen that stood for a58 grn v-max at 150 yds , poleaxing it through the neck.

golf001.jpg

When the battery started to die we headed back to the motor and swapped it , then we set off in search of one for Ratcherman . I decided to try the spot where I shot the vixen thinking the dog will not be far away.

Flicking the lamp on in the next field I spied the orange eyes and told Ratcherman to get ready , I tried to call the fox in closer but it wouldnt come instead it was content just trotting along . I hollered it to stop and told Ratcherman " Take it now "

Thwack , the bullet struck and there was charlie lying on the ground . Well Ratcherman was overjoyed but this was shortlived as when we went to retrieve the fox it had vanished :(

There was a bramble patch nearby and I reckoned it was a gut shot and it had dragged itself into this cover. On inspection of these brambles I was proved correct as this is where we found the dog fox which was gut shot.

Congratulation to Ratcherman on his 1st fox with the .243 especially as he shot it at about 170 yds.

I was very pleased for him , the smile on his face said it all :clapper:

Just need to get your rifle sorted now and knock some over with that ;)

A very enjoyable night with a bit of success :)

golf002.jpg

nice shooting mate, but what I really don't like to see is bloody quarry in photos, try and put the rifle in front of the fox, to try and cover the belly up, it just looks gross (y' know, guts hanging out, blood round the muzzle, generally looking blasted) I don't have a weak stomach or anything like that, I'll happily gut, skin and clean rabbits, pheasants and fish, but it gives us as shooters a bad reputation, more ammo for the antis, that's the only thing that repulses me in trophy shots, but good luck to you mate and congrats on the first fox!

After speaking to Ratcherman recently he told me he had just bought his new .243 and would appreciate going lamping with someone who had a bit of experience lamping foxes and using centrefires.

but he couldnt find anyone so he phoned you :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

seriously though mate good do and well done ratcherman on your 1st fox, the 1st of many i'm sure

Edited by brno17
nice shooting mate, but what I really don't like to see is bloody quarry in photos, try and put the rifle in front of the fox, to try and cover the belly up, it just looks gross (y' know, guts hanging out, blood round the muzzle, generally looking blasted) I don't have a weak stomach or anything like that, I'll happily gut, skin and clean rabbits, pheasants and fish, but it gives us as shooters a bad reputation, more ammo for the antis, that's the only thing that repulses me in trophy shots, but good luck to you mate and congrats on the first fox!

why should we hide what we do on what is a shooting forum ?? its a simple decision mate if you dont like dont look.

Thanks mark for a good night out and some good advice on safety and safe shots etc :thumbs: i really enjoyed the night and it was fantastic getting my first fox with a centrefire i just need to get my rifle zerod now and get out with it, it was the first fox of many i hope ;)

Excellent stuff Lads, first of many no doubt Ratcher, .243 and some sweet 58 grainers, lethal :D

As for trophy shots, I'll never be ashamed of putting a blasted or top condition beast on a hunting forum as long as its shown to be killed by the proper means. Hence the .243 in the photo. That combination of bullet and calibre doesn't come in much more deadly flavour ;)

Keep at 'em

SS :thumbs:

Nice one lads, :thumbs: and congrats on the first fox Ratcher!

Some nice pest control there. :good:

There's nothing wrong with seeing trophy shots, as has already been said, it's not compulsory to look at them. ;)

I'll second that Alan.Never bow down to scum that know no better .We are not ashamed of what we do and nor should you be .Too much emphasise on pleasing the do good brigade .Like it or lump it i say .

hang about mate!!!! I don't think calling me scum on a forum is really the way to go? I don't have a problem with shooting foxes with a .243, it's gotta be one of the most practical and humane rounds to do it with, all i'm saying is it dosen't cast a good light that's all.....I'm not into "pleasing"the do good brigade either, they want to get rid of hunting and shooting altogether....why would I have a login on a hunting forum and post (pro) shooting/hunting related questions and answers if I was a soyabean munching anti? I think people on either side, if anyone says something even remotely suggestive against their cause they go off on one.... what I wrote was meant only as my opinion and in good humor, I didn't intend to poke a stick into a beehive at all......

here's to warm barrels!

I dont think he is referring to you Danebrewer10, I think he meant generally not bowing to anti- criticism.

That said, I don't see any problem with you asking everyone to take more care about the photos we show online.

This is an open forum so it can be seen by everyone, even younger kids who could be put off shooting by very gruesome shots?

But it is hard to remember these things when you have just shot your first fox and are very proud if it!

Well done on the first .243 kill, looking forward to it myself!

T

I'll second that Alan.Never bow down to scum that know no better .We are not ashamed of what we do and nor should you be .Too much emphasise on pleasing the do good brigade .Like it or lump it i say .

hang about mate!!!! I don't think calling me scum on a forum is really the way to go? I don't have a problem with shooting foxes with a .243, it's gotta be one of the most practical and humane rounds to do it with, all i'm saying is it dosen't cast a good light that's all.....I'm not into "pleasing"the do good brigade either, they want to get rid of hunting and shooting altogether....why would I have a login on a hunting forum and post (pro) shooting/hunting related questions and answers if I was a soyabean munching anti? I think people on either side, if anyone says something even remotely suggestive against their cause they go off on one.... what I wrote was meant only as my opinion and in good humor, I didn't intend to poke a stick into a beehive at all......

here's to warm barrels!

Guest Ralfy II

Great shots, im intrested to know what damage or problem they were causing on a golf course ;) Hmmmm.

I'd have thought they best be left to stop the bunny's digging the greeens, or at least help with bunny control !