Advice For 22-250 Calibre

I am thinking of applying for a centre fire and am considering getting a 22-250 and I am curious how much the ammo is, and any other comments you want to make ie what you would or wouldn't buy any do's or don'ts, barrel lifespan. I thougth I would go for a 22-250 as I want to use it for shooting foxes and possibly roe deer at some point.

Cheers

I am thinking of applying for a centre fire and am considering getting a 22-250 and I am curious how much the ammo is, and any other comments you want to make ie what you would or wouldn't buy any do's or don'ts, barrel lifespan. I thougth I would go for a 22-250 as I want to use it for shooting foxes and possibly roe deer at some point.

Cheers

On average more than £1.00 per shot, good round, flat, plenty of oomph.

22-250 is by far one of the best fox dropping rounds...i found 223 limited out to decent daytime distance's.......im using a rem 700 vssf which has been tweeked slightly,yesterday i was getting a 5" group at 520 yards with two mildots hold over..my rifle is zeroed dead on at 50 yards which makes it 1 1/4 high at 100yards and dead on again at 260yards you wont get anything like that out of a 223..they are out of fashion again at the moment but they will be back im sure..at 520 yards the round was punching a hole in 5mm steel plate..i load my own amo which makes each round about 45p i was using some norma factory amo that was £21 per 20 which were quite good......

Check out...Best Fox Calibre poll in the FAQ section....

.223 just edges it at the moment.

Taken in isolation, as a calibre there is no doubt the 22-250 is a first class fox tool, but there is a wider picture which many also have to consider...... compared with .223 ammo is more expensive, less choice, gun is noisier, will not last as long. So if you are ok with that, then no question a 22-250 is a very capable fox tool. :thumbs:

I run all the common stuff, .223, .243, .308 and personally, with the ammo choice available for that lot I have no need of a 22-250!!

I could be tempted to suggest forget 22-250 and go for a .243 if you are talking deer as well, this will give you the opportunity of the larger varieties too, and lots of ammo to choose from....!!

ATB

will not last as long. So if you are ok with that,

Checking back through my reloading records, I can put hand on heart and say that one of my 22.250 has fired 3847 rounds through this barrel

Please bear in mind I am on old codger (60+) - got the start of a cataract in my shooting eye - this is what this rifle is still capable of doing with 4 shots

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/wyndog/scan0001.jpg

The 'flyer ' I would like to think was the bullet but was no doubt me

I would agree that it "will not last as long" nor will any other barrel if you dont take the time to look after the bore - something that I am quite anal about with my four C/Fs.

Having said that, I must admit really that the person that chooses any of the 22 C/Fs ain't going to make a mistake on his chosen calibre.

Peter

22-250 is by far one of the best fox dropping rounds...i found 223 limited out to decent daytime distance's.......im using a rem 700 vssf which has been tweeked slightly,yesterday i was getting a 5" group at 520 yards with two mildots hold over..my rifle is zeroed dead on at 50 yards which makes it 1 1/4 high at 100yards and dead on again at 260yards you wont get anything like that out of a 223..they are out of fashion again at the moment but they will be back im sure..at 520 yards the round was punching a hole in 5mm steel plate..i load my own amo which makes each round about 45p i was using some norma factory amo that was £21 per 20 which were quite good......

I like the sound of this! How much did it cost you to get all the reloading gear? As a total novice how did you learn to reload and was it difficult? I take it you need some kind of permission to buy the propellants?

I'm very new to the calibre - Having just stepped up from rimfire.

On using it, and doing a bit of research, it's a superior round to the .223 in terms of velocity and flat trajectory. Mine's is zeroed at 50 and 150 yards, with under an inch rise between these two. If you're shooting fox then, it's point and shoot anywhere between 30 and 200 yards - maybe a touch more.

I've started collecting the necessary bits to reload... taking it slowly, buying the bits as I can afford them. IWatch the video below on Youtube, you'll see just how simple a kit you can start off with... for £20 + consumables. Whilst it's not for the lover of all things accurate and obsessive, it'll do for foxing and vermin. I've worked out that my reloads should cost between 45p and 55p depending on what components I use.

Dave, if you have land to shoot on, I could pop over and let you see the rifle in action.

Edited by humperdingle

you would be hard pushed to burn out a 22/250 if your just using it for foxing. the fps isnt the barrel killer its the heat. as long as you dont use it like a gatling gun :D and you let the barrel cool down between 4 to 5 rounds then it will last for ages.

as for them being very noisy compared to 223 thats not true with a ase cqb mod on my 22/250 is isnt any louder then my mates 223 with the same mod. it would be hard to say which is louder to be fair.

223 is a cracking fox round dont get me wrong but i like the 22/250 its flater and hits harder. but after all dead is dead.

as for which 22/250 there are a load of rifles that fit different wallets. a howa package would be nice and there accurate rifles or you could go tikka or sako. or steyr there very accurate.

i went for winchester as there abit different and it had what i was looking for. soild h&s stock which is ambi as im lefthanded. smooth bolt and heavy barrel. just fitted a jewell trigger and top scope and your away.

ammo can be dear depends on what brands you go for. i find the winchester 50 grain silver tips superb. there is a best foxing rifle in sporting rifle this month its worth a read for sure.

204 cal wins the debate but the downside is there only light bullets and of course you wouldnt be able to use that on deer so thats a no go

Edited by jamie g

Reloading gear, budget about £200 to get you started and you're away.

Easiest thing is to find someone that reloads and get them to teach you, it's a quick process because it's a doddle, but I found that all the various terms were so much easier when someone points at stuff and explains it!

Thereafter it does get much cheaper, and more accurate too. My Remington is turning in sub 0.5MOA regularly now. My CZ has gone from 1MOA to 3/4MOA as well.

As for calibre, I'd be tempted to say 243 over 22/250 - it has more thump than 22/250 for deer, and pushes a 55gr bullet as fast or faster than 22/250 does a 50gr bullet. It's a devastating calibre on fox.

Downside is extra cost (though minor over a 22/250, noticeable over 223, 204 et al). Used on fox and deer though, you won't notice.

Myself, I'm selling up on 243, to add a 204 Ruger to the mix. I shoot 308 for deer so it comes down to the use on long range fox, and the 204 is a better everyday calibre for me - it's quieter and does rabbits too. Saves me having to pick between 223 and 243. Although I will still have the CZ 223, can't bear to sell it as it works so well!

Sporting rifle rated the .204 the best fox round followed by the .22/250 !!

As you want to shoot Deer and fox the .204 is of no use to you . .223 is a very good round but struggles to keep up with the .22/250, my mate shoots .223 my other mate and me shoot .22/250 the .223 has more follow up shots than us two together . He also has less confidence in distance shots with the .223.

Listen to jamie g !! All the talk of barrel burning and cost per round is not worth the worry .

If the cost is a worry then perhaps CF shooting is not for you as it is expensive.

will not last as long. So if you are ok with that,

this is what this rifle is still capable of doing with 4 shots

Old Codger,

respect.

Effortless

Why - thank you Effortless. I look upon myself as about 40 - as long as I dont look in the mirror :);)