Ive failed badly

jigsaw

I have a 14 month old ferret hob,I have tried my upmost to get this animal to work,day in day out I have taken him out,with friends,on my own.I have on more than 1 occasion kept him just a tad hungry,not starving mind but definitely peckish.NOTHING WORKS.I cannot get him to travel for a starter but if he does on the rare occasion run the warrens he never searches for his prey.After he has tried the depts of the warrens I run my old reliable hob and out comes a rabbit or two.Rabbits that the other idiot should have found.I started him at 8 months old and have had him out dozens of times since.I got the hob in from a mate and he was a pleasure to rear,quiet and easily to handle.The one thing about him is hes hyper active,hes a million miles an hour and he is a nightmare to catch if he slips out of the bury.I have come to the decision to part company with him.He will hopefully go to a polish friend that keeps the ferret as pets.If she is not able to take him he will be humanely put to sleep.It is the first ferret that I can remember not making the grade.There must have been others but after 30 years of having ferrets I probably chose not to remember the bad ones.I am going to replace him with a young hob and i hope he will make it ok.The thought I had was if anything should happen to the older hob I'd be in a right fix.I recieved a fine young hob from Maltenby on here and my mate hunts him with me and what a ferret he's turned out to be,up and on,bolting most of his quarry.I now regret not keeping him,lol.I do see him hunting every weekend and am glad hes going great.Pat on the back for producing a damn good ferret MAL :victory: How the old hob keeps going I'll never know.This week alone I've been out Sunday,Monday,Tuesday and thursday.We are out again Sunday,I had the young hob with me all these days and wasted more time trying to get him hunting. I dont intend to bring the youngster anymore as I end up bloody boiling over watching him prick about,Ive lost hope in him.I thought I'd put a post up with a difference to a lot you read on here.Its great to read about the good ones but no harm either to read about the one that just hasnt got the granite to make a good one.Whats your input on this,I am looking forward to your views on the subject,JIGSAW.

if your gonna pay for a vasectomy,get a grafter done n pts the shirker. at least you can use the worker and keep him n a few gills happy.

Why get a good worker vasectomised when having a non worker done would make more sense in allowing a good worker to pass on his genes?

ok guys,the polish lady will get him vasectomised immediately,she has all her hobs cut.i can assure you if she doesnt take him as ive allready stated he being pts.she wont pass him on at all.i dont keep any other ferrets,just these two so i have no need for sorting out the jills.if she wont have him i'll take him out of circulation.the last thing i want is to breed from the useless b*****d.on the look out for another medium sized hob,the ammount of ferrets i was offered last year that were very hand shy was incredibile.my young lad some days handles the ferrets and id have to have a real placid ferret for him.i think its just down to lazyness that people dont handle the stock enough.

Guest Countryboyo
ok guys,the polish lady will get him vasectomised immediately,she has all her hobs cut.i can assure you if she doesnt take him as ive allready stated he being pts.she wont pass him on at all.i dont keep any other ferrets,just these two so i have no need for sorting out the jills.if she wont have him i'll take him out of circulation.the last thing i want is to breed from the useless b*****d.on the look out for another medium sized hob,the ammount of ferrets i was offered last year that were very hand shy was incredibile.my young lad some days handles the ferrets and id have to have a real placid ferret for him.i think its just down to lazyness that people dont handle the stock enough.

Id spose it will be handy if you ever decide to get gills in the next few years they will be able to visit the vasectomised hob to take them out of heat. Write this in the contract when passing him over to the new owner :clapper: .All the best with the new hob you get. ;)

I have to admit Im surprised at this post.

Yes its always possible that a ferret wont work, the same as a gun dog might not be trainable or a hawk could injure itself and be no good for hunting. I honestly dont think that justifies getting it put to sleep though. Its a risk you take when you get an animal.

I completely agree that if he wont work then vasectimisation or even castration is the way to go to stop him knackering working strains, but after having read some of the other posts on here about how attached folks get to ferrets, I dont think a swift double tap is the answer.

I have a hob who doesnt work, hes just a pet. He gets on fine with my working jills and if he costs £50 quid a year to feed then thats all he costs. I am sure that if he was to go, my missus would be more upset about that than either of the jills.

If he's good to handle and would make a good pet, at least let someone have him as a pet, even if its not your Polish freind. A young lad who grows up with him in the house is more likely to take up ferreting in the future and keep our sport going.

Just a different point of view

:)

Jim

Glad the lad's still doing the job for your mate Jig. :good:

His brothers are both working OK, bolting & not f**king about when it's time to come out of the holes. It's just a shame they turned out so fecking big! :laugh:

Jimmy big shoes, would ye like me to post him over to you :D I have no interest in keeping ferrets as pets,I work them.Whether its a popular stance or not Im not concerned..I have enough to be doing taking care of the workers,and by that Im on about the terriers and lurchers I have too.Is it not better to put him to sleep rather than have him thrown about.If my polish friend doesnt take him it ends there.Nighthunter she feeds her ferrets on dry food,ALL 13 OF THEM :blink: .Yeah shes an animal lover but she doesnt ever say anything to me about my activities.I offered her rabbits to feed her bunch,she gracefully declined with a look of horror on her face :clapper: each to their own.Mal this lad you gave me stoped growing but hes chunky,which slows him down a bit which helps the rabbits get the hell out of home in good time.When he does get hold I wont even describe the condition the rabbits are in when hes extracted from the bury :sick: :clapper: Anyway end of story,just thought it would be a bit different writing about one that didnt make it.Its not the end of the world,if hes not up to it he goes,end of.