building up stamina

Its all good working a dog fit..

But an unfit dog attracts injurys!!!!!!

You expect John Prescott to run a marathon!!!!!!

Use your heads folks its common sense..

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Totally agree.

Plenty of road work at trotting pace, building them up. Forget about treadmills they don't harden a dogs feet and tone the dogs up. I know this as a few whippet folk us them, you just need to look at my bitch then look at there dogs. My bitch has more muscle definition and is more toned.

I walk mine at least 4 miles a day (everyday)then they get 1/2 hours free running.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

running it behind a bike will make it good at following a bike,working it might make a worker out of it.

You can only build up stamina so far in some breeds, Grews for example but fitness is an alltogether different thing.

Basics?

stamina ... lamp fit ... cardio fit ... muscle tone ... lactic acid prevension ... fast twitch muscle fibres ... slow twitch muscle fibres .... recovery time .... all these areas require a different aproach in the technique used to utilise them to their maximam and to get the best out of your dog for the job it is used for means having to tailor your training regime to encorporate what you need to get the end result ..........

stamina ... lamp fit ... cardio fit ... muscle tone ... lactic acid prevension ... fast twitch muscle fibres ... slow twitch muscle fibres .... recovery time .... all these areas require a different aproach in the technique used to utilise them to their maximam and to get the best out of your dog for the job it is used for means having to tailor your training regime to encorporate what you need to get the end result ..........
or just run the fooker...... :clapper:

yep but then we would need to go into the feeding regime to gain the best out of the dog for the chosen task ...IE ... long runs ... short bursts ... a mixture of both ... fast recovery ... muscle depletion ... lactic build up ... all these scenarios can be bettered with correct feeding ... but that is a whole other thread LOL ...........

Hey doctor! If I can't get a dog fit without any of those words in my regime(except fit) after 30 odd years of hunting I may as well retire and hang my dogs up to dry. I agree there is a "sports scientist" approach to all hunting animals available now but I'm sure the majority will agree that the best dogs are owned and WORKED by the most experienced and traditional type of fieldsportsmen with lines named after their stock and years of EXPERIENCE under their belt. As far as all the "techno jargon" stuff in your post, it would have more credibility if the spelling was correct. Sorry to sound bitchy but you cannot make a Greyhound run like a Saluki, whatever you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep but then we would need to go into the feeding regime to gain the best out of the dog for the chosen task ...IE ... long runs ... short bursts ... a mixture of both ... fast recovery ... muscle depletion ... lactic build up ... all these scenarios can be bettered with correct feeding ... but that is a whole other thread LOL ...........

i do think you know what your talking about socks...regarding feeding anyway... :clapper: ..a serious question though...do you use vitamins supplements....i think i got my dogs diet spot on now....but iam all ears for more info.....

dytkos. i couldn't agree more. getting you re dogs fit is just common sense plenty of good snap plenty work and so on. but as for stamina or wind [bANNED TEXT] erver you wont to call it . its all in the breeding. you can not get out [bANNED TEXT] they havent got . you could spend 100 pound a week on all the top drugs for dogs .if he is bred to run 10 or 20 short runs on rabbits. it dosent matter [bANNED TEXT] you give him .he is never going to have the wind to run 3 good hares poserbly 3 or 4 minn courses.horses for coursis as they say.

In my opinion nothing works better than trotting beside the bicycle, with short breaks for rest and sprinting, then later some work on the flirtpole.

My collie lurcher, greyhound and whippetxgreyhound are doing average 12 miles beside the bike every day. Yesterday they did 14 miles. This doesnt include all the running about in the fields they do while off lead.

But start slow and watch when the dog has had enough.

Diet is the key to success as well. Dont push the dog too much too soon.

150 years ago running beside the horse was the best for developing fitness, intermixed with fast sprints across rough ground (not stoney, but uneven), and uphill. 14 miles a day wasnt too much for these coursing greyhounds.

:thumbs:

dytkos. i couldn't agree more. getting you re dogs fit is just common sense plenty of good snap plenty work and so on. but as for stamina or wind [bANNED TEXT] erver you wont to call it . its all in the breeding. you can not get out [bANNED TEXT] they havent got . you could spend 100 pound a week on all the top drugs for dogs .if he is bred to run 10 or 20 short runs on rabbits. it dosent matter [bANNED TEXT] you give him .he is never going to have the wind to run 3 good hares poserbly 3 or 4 minn courses.horses for coursis as they say.

snap :clapper: classic,not heard that since i moved out of mi dads

Of course it would all depend on how fit you want your mutt to be,what type of work you want it to do etc. All that would dictate if you would follow special diets,training patterns and type of excercise.

For example,and im not saying anyone on here would do this because i know we are all fine upstanding citizens on here,but, if you drive round with your dog, peering into fields, slipping it on stuff,you might want more of a sprinter than say someone who goes out all day mooching about? The moocher would probably want a dog that can last a full days walking with a couple of runs here and there as opposed to a sprinter.

If i was wanting a top performing dog then i would certainly be looking into the type of stuff socks has mentioned,although i do understand that a dog has to have the natural ability to a certain extent, i would think a good diet and proper training and excercise must help to a great extent.

Hey doctor! If I can't get a dog fit without any of those words in my regime(except fit) after 30 odd years of hunting I may as well retire and hang my dogs up to dry. I agree there is a "sports scientist" approach to all hunting animals available now but I'm sure the majority will agree that the best dogs are owned and WORKED by the most experienced and traditional type of fieldsportsmen with lines named after their stock and years of EXPERIENCE under their belt. As far as all the "techno jargon" stuff in your post, it would have more credibility if the spelling was correct. Sorry to sound bitchy but you cannot make a Greyhound run like a Saluki, whatever you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

field sportsmen with lines after their names ? what like ward plummer platt and hancock LOL i have also been in this game for over 30 years fella and have a fair bit of EXPERIENCE but unlike a lot of people i have moved with the times to try and better myself and the type of dog i WORK .... i have a first cross collie grey bitch here that can and does catch old big ears on the open plains no mean feat for a ferreting dog believe me ... i have owned and trained open class greyhounds with one of them having an 82% win rate .... could that have been achieved by doing things the OLD way ? not a chance ... i am sorry if my spelling was not up to your standard i shall try and do better next time ... as for credibility tell you what if i meet you at a show we will sit with a pint and you can quiz and question me on aspect of training conditioning and feeding and lets see what i do or dont know ;) .... but be prepared for some questions back to how much you really know :D:D:D ................

field sportsmen with lines after their names ? what like ward plummer platt and hancock LOL i have also been in this game for over 30 years fella and have a fair bit of EXPERIENCE but unlike a lot of people i have moved with the times to try and better myself and the type of dog i WORK .... i have a first cross collie grey bitch here that can and does catch old big ears on the open plains no mean feat for a ferreting dog believe me ... i have owned and trained open class greyhounds with one of them having an 82% win rate .... could that have been achieved by doing things the OLD way ? not a chance ... i am sorry if my spelling was not up to your standard i shall try and do better next time ... as for credibility tell you what if i meet you at a show we will sit with a pint and you can quiz and question me on aspect of training conditioning and feeding and lets see what i do or dont know ;) .... but be prepared for some questions back to how much you really know :D:D:D ................

THE OLD WAY IS THE BEST AND BELEAVE ME WE SHOULD INSTALL STAMINA IN A DOG FROM A YOUNG AGE,AND YES IAM WILLING TO PROVE IT TO ANYONE