Homing Ferret

Hi all.

Right i have 4 jills in a pen in a shed in the back yard and 1 keeps gettin out of the pen but not out of the shed so i do a little more work on the pen to prevent this. Every now and then i open shed to air it out and i go back to shut it at night and thats when i notice 1 jill isnt there so i leave the shed open hoping she will return and she does after a day. It is possible to get in the pen but not get out, so she easily get back into bed. But the last time she got out she was out for 3 days. she has been out now 4/5 times and every time ive done more work to prevent her from getting out but obviuosly with now joy. Does anyone no of another ferret that always returns once out in the wild?

And no matter what i do she finds away out. She is a unreal climber i no this because the first time she got out i found her on top of the house roofs.

Edited by bigphil

Hi all.

Right i have 4 jills in a pen in a shed in the back yard and 1 keeps gettin out of the pen but not out of the shed so i do a little more work on the pen to prevent this. Every now and then i open shed to air it out and i go back to shut it at night and thats when i notice 1 jill isnt there so i leave the shed open hoping she will return and she does after a day. It is possible to get in the pen but not get out, so she easily get back into bed. But the last time she got out she was out for 3 days. she has been out now 4/5 times and every time ive done more work to prevent her from getting out but obviuosly with now joy. Does anyone no of another ferret that always returns once out in the wild?

And no matter what i do she finds away out. She is a unreal climber i no this because the first time she got out i found her on top of the house roofs.

ever wonder what she does on her little excursions :whistling::whistling:

i lost a gill years ago she had got out and was no where to be found , after week of walking round where i lived i had giving up she was lost for good .

a futher week went past, when me mum went out to the old buildings to get something and came running back in , theres something in the cuboard in the shed shes said so off i went to look thinking it will be a mouse ,open the door and theres me ferret :clapper:

still not sure how she got in there but i was not bothered i had her back

Hi all.

is the pen covered from bottom to top even a top to it if so the mesh you got is to big some ferrets wil get through some want.

and she always comes back i no i had one the same but one night she want just keep her locked up if you use 1inch mesh they want get out belive me

Guest tewkesferreter

ive got a gill called whoudini who used to go walkabout quite often,so i watched her one night and she was climbing to the top of the run and squeezing through the bars at the top,that was when they were kept in the garage. there kept outside now and around christmas time we had strong wind that ripped the hutch lid off,again she was the only one of the 3 that had a wonder,she was gone for half a day this time. then the missus called me and said she was climbing up the run trying to get back in. i can laugh at it now but at the time i thought shed gone for good.

well your 1 luckey man to have a ferret that returns. if mine ghet out thay wont come back, i was luckey one day tho ozzy my skinnyest youngest hob got out i found out and was like farrrrrrrrrrk but as i was skinning a rabbit he came fanging from the empty block next door :) so he spent the night with his oldee brouther victor :yes: but do try to make it so she cant get out as my first got away like that, and ate some ones chooks and i find out that the c**t shot por ol bear. i said if you catch him ill buy you twice as many chooks as he killed. but he thort it'd be better if he got the air rifle out. c**t!

i had a hob that went missing while ferreting about a 100 yds

from where the cage was

it was gone a week and decided to get another to keep the other hob company

i bought the new hob back

and the other found its way back and was under the cage

a bitt lighter and covered in ticks

atb

i had a jill that escaped and was missing for 8 days and returned back to the shed a bit hungry but ok, a hob that escaped regulary and wouldnt leave the garden found him sleeping in with dogs beds many a morning, and another jill that never returned, i got good secure hutches and runs now so i dont have any escapes(touch wood so far)

Mine always come back.

The other day I carried one across the fields to check out a small bury, when I started walking back, he perked up and his nose was sniffing like crazy. He started scrabbling so I put him down and he ran all the way across the whole field and back to his cage. He could obviously smell what was home to him.

My boy once escaped, went straight past the chicken run and appeared in the landlords garden trying to 'play' with his terriers, luckily he grabbed my hob before he was lunch. Just asked that the cage be thoroughly de-stinkified.

I've been lucky so far.

i lost a ferret in the december while out ferreting and got a phone call in the march from the farmer saying that he had seen it in the same place as id lost it. Was it the same one?? I don't know but she was a very friendly polecat , just like the one i lost :blink:

I lost a Jill many years ago she slipped her collar and laid up I blocked all the holes and went back the next morning no joy so went up that evenin too with the lamp. She was only my second ferret and I had great sucess with her. I went up again a few times with my lurcher who was a good marker and could find ferrets but no joy. A local shop owner in my town lived in the closest house , around a quarter of a mile away and I called to telll him I had lost the ferret and if he happened to see her could he ledt me know. Two weeks later a knock came to the door it was Declan the shop owner he said he was pretty sure his daughter had seen my ferret in his garage she had comein the house saying hat there was a white fluffy rat in the garage. So he went out and called the ferret like I had told him too. Sure enough she had appeared fromunder the wardrbe in the garage where she had avoided two cats and a collie dog whose food she had been eating. Declan drove me up to his house about 4 miles away that I had walked up to several times in the garage few clicks and squeaks and there she was my pride and joy at my feet. I worked Jemima for two more seasons and bred some good young from her,I gave her to someone to look after but they sold her without my approval.

Good job im short sighted I would never have been able to read that :D:D Good ending though mate :clapper: