Mink....First sighting this year

Just come back from preparing a rabbiting day tomorrow.........and as I crossed a small dyke I spotted my first dog mink this season working along the bankside........it managed to dart under the bridge just above the pipe outlet before i could get a picture.......but it will be an easy place to set a bodygrip tomorow with a minimum of disruption.......There are still a lot of game birds about and the dyke flows into a fishery.......so he wants removing pronto. Last year I took quite a lot of mink from this little stretch of water.......rabbit buries are abundant here also so it is always a popular location for mink activity.

post-12022-1233081817.jpg

post-12022-1233081857.jpg

Guest Rod&dog

Ohhh Rolfe,,Keep the update going,You know im mink mad.. LOL

But those little streams are just like the ones we have here and boy it is fun to get a few terriers and lurchers hunting up the banks,,but ye canny do dat no more.

Just come back from preparing a rabbiting day tomorrow.........and as I crossed a small dyke I spotted my first dog mink this season working along the bankside........it managed to dart under the bridge just above the pipe outlet before i could get a picture.......but it will be an easy place to set a bodygrip tomorow with a minimum of disruption.......There are still a lot of game birds about and the dyke flows into a fishery.......so he wants removing pronto. Last year I took quite a lot of mink from this little stretch of water.......rabbit buries are abundant here also so it is always a popular location for mink activity.
a cracking simple wee stream easy to trap, wish i had a few like that, when i was running a mink line .

Yeah i have had good success in the past using a Kania fitted to a board with a wire tunnel fitted......but i usually place mine bank side near or on a well used run and then completely cover with vegetation....virtually invisible but irresistible to the ever inquisitive Mr Mink. If water voles are present then i use cages for obvious reasons but they can mop up a lot of mink and rats in a short space of time.

Rolfe.

WELL LADS ,

THIS LAST SUMMER WHILE OFF WORK DUE TO AN INJURY ...........

I SET UP QUITE A FEW SETS FOR A TRAPLINE I HAD PLANNED OUT ON 9 DIFFERING LOCAL WATERWAYS ...... USING OLD SNAREMANS LINETRAPPING ADVICE ON PLACEMENT , KEEPING TRAPS IN COMISSION NO MATTER THE HEIGHT OF WATER ETC , ETC , ETC ............. AND NOT A CAGE TRAP OR VIETNAMESE BOATHOUSE .. WHOOPS SORRY I MEANT ....MINK RAFT ........ IN SIGHT

OVER THE MONTHES I WATCHED THESE GROW TO BECOME A PART OF THE NATURAL BANKSIDE ......... WITH VERY LITTLE WORK INVOLVED ......... AND NO WOODEN TUNNEL MAKING

ADD TO THIS SOME SNAREING SITES ......... AND YOU HAVE A TRAPLINE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

WELL LADS ,

THIS LAST SUMMER WHILE OFF WORK DUE TO AN INJURY ...........

I SET UP QUITE A FEW SETS FOR A TRAPLINE I HAD PLANNED OUT ON 9 DIFFERING LOCAL WATERWAYS ...... USING OLD SNAREMANS LINETRAPPING ADVICE ON PLACEMENT , KEEPING TRAPS IN COMISSION NO MATTER THE HEIGHT OF WATER ETC , ETC , ETC ............. AND NOT A CAGE TRAP OR VIETNAMESE BOATHOUSE .. WHOOPS SORRY I MEANT ....MINK RAFT ........ IN SIGHT

OVER THE MONTHES I WATCHED THESE GROW TO BECOME A PART OF THE NATURAL BANKSIDE ......... WITH VERY LITTLE WORK INVOLVED ......... AND NO WOODEN TUNNEL MAKING

ADD TO THIS SOME SNAREING SITES ......... AND YOU HAVE A TRAPLINE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

As always DW, like glenn says (sure you have heard him say it many times :laugh: )the simple methods are best...sometimes people make a whole lot of work for themselves, but I suppose everyones got their preferred methods.... I think the biggest issue with most people is time, its goes nowhere..

How do you go on trapping local waterways? How do you find out who owns them?

i used to trap for a few fishing clubs for free membership

you would you old skinflint :whistling: tighter than a fishes arse :tongue2: since the otters have moved back into my local river mink have become scarce otters hate mink with a passion and will drive them away or kill them if they can we used to average ten or so in a season but now we dont bother the otters were all ways spoiling the trap sets we had out :no:

How do you go on trapping local waterways? How do you find out who owns them?

i used to trap for a few fishing clubs for free membership

you would you old skinflint :whistling: tighter than a fishes arse :tongue2: since the otters have moved back into my local river mink have become scarce otters hate mink with a passion and will drive them away or kill them if they can we used to average ten or so in a season but now we dont bother the otters were all ways spoiling the trap sets we had out :no:

don,t give up woodga , i just caught my first mink in about 4 years on a local beck , i used to trap 20 - 30 mink there most years til the otters turned up, any chance of borrowing your face for ratting again ?