RABBIT DAMAGE

TOMO

after reading magwiches thread , showing the the damage to the trees in the orchard, i thought i would put a few pics up of what they can do ;) all this damage was on 1 farm that i was called out to last year

johnsonrabbitjobsrart60108017.jpg

johnsonrabbitjobsrart60108015.jpg

johnsonrabbitjobsrart60108014.jpg

rabbitdamage181207004.jpg

these next two pics i was stood at the corner of a winter wheat field on the railway bank, you can see the feed line where they have got out to , it was about a 100 yards.

rabbitdamage181207006.jpg

rabbitdamage181207007.jpg

Quoted a job like those yesterday, a very old orchard full of cherry/apple/plum etc trees, all trees ringbarked up to 2 feet off the ground, the lawns are bare and completley covered in dung, cant wait to get started when i can get away from the moles, been a while since i had a really good rabbit problem to get stuck into.

after reading magwiches thread , showing the the damage to the trees in the orchard, i thought i would put a few pics up of what they can do ;) all this damage was on 1 farm that i was called out to last year

these next two pics i was stood at the corner of a winter wheat field on the railway bank, you can see the feed line where they have got out to , it was about a 100 yards.

rabbitdamage181207006.jpg

there must be few there they recon 6 rabbits eat the same as 1 sheep per day or so they said on kill it cook it eat it :clapper:

Contrast your pics with the comment from that young Veggie on Kill It Cook It and Eat It,Sobbing with her mascara running down her face "they only eat grass".Yeah, sure they do ,the post Magwitch put up last week , was on a farm where half a field of wheat had been eaten out.It would be nice if some of these Bunny Huggers saw the damage we do Tomo . http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/AC...ge181207006.jpg[/img]

Here's some damage to a 3.8 hectare area of woodland i had to clear the rabbits from.......all the trees made a full recovery by the way.

were i am in wrexham there is hundreds of rabbits near me and in all the 25 years i been hunnting never seen this never seen it with the trees that have been cut down but not like the pics ar you shore they are rabbits if so i think they is more like thousands of them

Rabbits eat bark all year round, winter time is a bit worse though. I work on a tree nursery and believe me they can and will do it in summer. Two year ago we had one patch where they had learnt to lift the guards up on the malus, at the moment they are digging around them so they can nibble it below soil level. There are certain trees which they prefer doing like ash, mountain ash and all the apple varieties but the b*****ds will have a sample of anything and they are determined to get in the fields we have that are fenced off. Doesn't overly bother me though coz I get paid to bring my dogs and ferrets to work with me ;)

Guest Magwitch
. Two year ago we had one patch where they had learnt to lift the guards up on the malus,

One of our farmers was saying the exact same thing, they lift the guards chew the bark and then the guard drops down and you can't see the damage.............. :laugh:

. Two year ago we had one patch where they had learnt to lift the guards up on the malus,

One of our farmers was saying the exact same thing, they lift the guards chew the bark and then the guard drops down and you can't see the damage.............. :laugh:

The guards we use the most are made of plastic mesh which is folded around the tree and fastened together so we can see when its been done but those rabbits are gone now ;)

We never see then eating bark till there snow on the ground then if you kill then the fat round the kidneys is a orange colour due to the tannin in the bark??

I killed a few rabbits last week where the farmer had been logging,there was no snow and plenty of varied food around,the tops of these trees had been pushed to one side for burning,almost overnight the rabbits were into it,and stripped the lot,ithink in a lot of cases it may not be food the rabbit is after but something else,vitamins,minerals, or something to do with there teeth perhaps?i think your right about the tannin as those i caught had orange fat around there kidneys allso.