bull cross racists

Guest it's all my land after 12

A Long quote from darcys new book

---------

They had the courage of their fighting ancestors, coupled with extra height and athleticism, though the pit bull had the latter in buckets full anyway in my opinion. Great speed and hunting ability, a powerful bite and a keeness to please that was to become a trademark. And while their were exceptions, certainly concerning the heavy set ’cobby’ wastage of the first crosses, most had incredible pace and endurance, the physical qualities that many enthusiasts were now waking up to. More so when this was passed on through careful breeding to further this popular lurcher cross. The very first of these bull/greyhound crosses that were used in Devon in the early eighties were produced from the carefully chosen Mayfield bloodlines. A notable strain of imported dogs which when lined to greyhounds were more than capable of the working needs of the fox lamping enthusiasts of my region.

A hunting man from my region, Jack Cotton, was at that time becoming concerned with the very able, but ageing lurchers he had been using to take a decent haul of fox. He hunted his lurchers over vast areas of Devon and Somerset and they took impressive numbers in the winter months, The money from the pelts he sold maintaining his dogs in food and covering travelling and veterinary costs, aided in him in his love of working his lurchers. Cotton killed as many as eight foxes on some nights with his lurchers, no mean task you might agree. His knowledge of the terrain he hunted and his ability to call foxes were well known in my area. And Jack’s hunting ability was aided further by intelligence and forethought. He had begun to think about the bloodlines of the American imports and what they might infuse into running dog blood.

Jack had heard that a another hunting man from Yorkshire, the late Gary Allit, was about to use a Mayfield dog called General, an athletic 23 inch dog, to line a greyhound bitch, which at that time roused his interest for he had begun to assess the potential of the imported bull blood by talking with people who were taking ownership of these dogs.

I know that Jack had seen the kennels of the imported dogs and knew some enthusiasts for the dogs, and in time obtained a first cross namely general junoir.He also had two ¾ greyhound ¼ pitbulls, He first had Bullet, a Black dog bred out of Gary Allits Dazzle a superb working bitch. Bullet was capable of taking all quarry and believe me he did. Secondly he took a greyhound bitch upto Ray Walker to breed to his dog Buck, producing the hardest dog everseen in plymouth if not the westcountry, Bruno.

His experiment with the working side of this cross was about to show fruition, and Jack, not a man easily impressed, began to see impressive results very early on in the working of these dogs.

An expert ’caller’ of foxes, coaxing them down the light beam to within running range, the turn of foot and the urge to please, combined with great courage, meant in his hands, the right hands, some incredible nights lamping were soon being achieved. Jack Cotton still refers to those days when these bull lurchers were used in Devon as great sport, long gone sadly, and those dogs had ’no reverse’. Everything Jack needed and more.

They turn out useful sporting dogs when in the right hands, with careful training and the all important extra vigilance towards breaking to stock, A useful, ready to please hunting dog has, I believe shaped the lurcher world again with its lineage and potency to establish a true and loyal working lurcher. The emergence of this, probably the final part of the jigsaw is in place now. And the sport is none the worse for its impact. What the future holds for this type of lurcher and indeed all our dogs lies in our hands and we must guard it for future generations.

Whatever your choice or preference, whether whippet, greyhound or saluki and the assorted utility breeds.

It’s only down to one thing in the end result. Does the dog do what you intended it for to the best of it’s ability and to your satisfaction and enjoyment.

----------

The people who do the job properly get the intended results.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep bull crossers not because i wanna look hard or take pics when my dogs look like rambo after three films i keep them because i like to hunt bigger game as well as rabbits i also keep them because as a breed the lurcher has evolved...the bull cross has evolved into the best alrounder available they breed well they breed to type,geneticaly they have no problems...physycally they are sounder than most....wastage is minimal....it does piss me off when i see kids and adults alike posting pics of theyre dogs smashed to peices as it does damage our sport/way of life.....i dont slate anyone who keeps bedlingtons or salukis( even tho i wouldnt have one for free)...however i dont expect others to slate me either...threads like this benefit knoone really however i can see why they come about........most the people that slate bull xrs have never owned so i say back off...dont judge something you have no experience of......

So the bull x is the finest allrounder? as already said thats a very bold statement and one a lot of knowledgeable dogmen would laugh at.Me i take as i find and whilst i've seen some fine specimens,i dont think they compare to a well bred collie/grey as a genuine allrounder.My old man bred and worked collie/greys for nearly 40 years,and im sure if he thought he was missing out on something he'd have got him self a bull x.

I dont think bull x's are any more agressive than any other lurcher,the worry is that a powerfull dog like a bull x can do a lot more damage than say a beddiexwhippet.I have seen bull x's being cleaned by the family cat,ive also seen one that was "stock broken" pull a sheep down and leave the owner with a large bill and one less bit of permission.

As i say there not my cup of tea but i can see the attraction for working on certain quarry.Like a lot of breed's the bull x has suffered an image problem due to the fact that a lot of "five minute wonders" buy them ruin them and pass them off as "stock broken,good with other dogs".As always its JMPO ;)

I believe alot of the die hard collie/beddie/deerhound x owners are the main culprits when it comes to slating the bull x as a working dog. They find it hard to admit that the bull x has turned into such a successful outcome/project. They are neither stupid nor aggressive, some maybe but it is the same in any breed. Admittedly a lot of the half x's can be slow for a lot of work but a good 3/4 bred is capable of matching anything on all aspects of lurcherwork, excepting the saluki x in regards to coursing on the big land. But preban these dogs were capable of taking the full spectrum of quarry. I admit there are the traditional x's that would do it also but I've seen many more traditional x lurchers producing dogs that fail on fox etc than bull x's. I've had collie, beddie x's myself many yrs ago & they served me well but I keep the bull x's now & wouldn't have nothing else

Clearly not the case mate its the halfwits who big up there bull x's to mythical proportions that get the backs of other lurcher owners up. I dont find it hard at all to accept that bull x's can do the job at hand, but there's less tolerance from bull x owners about other types of dog doing the job just as well.

I had the same shite when i had a Rottweiler 22yrs ago, but the main reason was because about 7yrs after i got him

it became fashionable for the "chaves" to own them, nothing wrong with the beed, just when they become popular with the wrong crowd,

they end up with the wrong reputation because pricks use them for the wrong reasons.

I keep bull crossers not because i wanna look hard or take pics when my dogs look like rambo after three films i keep them because i like to hunt bigger game as well as rabbits i also keep them because as a breed the lurcher has evolved...the bull cross has evolved into the best alrounder available they breed well they breed to type,geneticaly they have no problems...physycally they are sounder than most....wastage is minimal....it does piss me off when i see kids and adults alike posting pics of theyre dogs smashed to peices as it does damage our sport/way of life.....i dont slate anyone who keeps bedlingtons or salukis( even tho i wouldnt have one for free)...however i dont expect others to slate me either...threads like this benefit knoone really however i can see why they come about........most the people that slate bull xrs have never owned so i say back off...dont judge something you have no experience of......

So the bull x is the finest allrounder? as already said thats a very bold statement and one a lot of knowledgeable dogmen would laugh at.Me i take as i find and whilst i've seen some fine specimens,i dont think they compare to a well bred collie/grey as a genuine allrounder.My old man bred and worked collie/greys for nearly 40 years,and im sure if he thought he was missing out on something he'd have got him self a bull x.

I dont think bull x's are any more agressive than any other lurcher,the worry is that a powerfull dog like a bull x can do a lot more damage than say a beddiexwhippet.I have seen bull x's being cleaned by the family cat,ive also seen one that was "stock broken" pull a sheep down and leave the owner with a large bill and one less bit of permission.

As i say there not my cup of tea but i can see the attraction for working on certain quarry.Like a lot of breed's the bull x has suffered an image problem due to the fact that a lot of "five minute wonders" buy them ruin them and pass them off as "stock broken,good with other dogs".As always its JMPO ;)

in my opinion yes... as far as all game is concerned legal and before the bann were tested to the full....(without incrimination)not many bred can do what these dogs do season after season (before the bann)the wheaton x is a contender(my opinion again)however as far as game all game the best allrounder must be able to take punishment nothing else can take it like a bull based dog....and i dont mean a dog that can take a few foxes a year i mean tested to the max...nothing can cut it.....from rat to rabbit to fox to roe myntjac and fallow even the red deer fall to the bull cross week in week out...would a collie cross after being picked up by a fallow buck and thrown across a forestry road take a breath like a bull cross and tip it over before the second breath...i doubt it...would a whippet greyhound take 10-12 foxes a week i dont think so.....the bedlington x might have a chance but matbe out of a litter of eight one or two might do it....not every bull cross makes the grade but i bet the percentage is a damn sight higher.....

in my opinion yes... as far as all game is concerned legal and before the bann were tested to the full....(without incrimination)not many bred can do what these dogs do season after season (before the bann)the wheaton x is a contender(my opinion again)however as far as game all game the best allrounder must be able to take punishment nothing else can take it like a bull based dog....and i dont mean a dog that can take a few foxes a year i mean tested to the max...nothing can cut it.....from rat to rabbit to fox to roe myntjac and fallow even the red deer fall to the bull cross week in week out...would a collie cross after being picked up by a fallow buck and thrown across a forestry road take a breath like a bull cross and tip it over before the second breath...i doubt it...would a whippet greyhound take 10-12 foxes a week i dont think so.....the bedlington x might have a chance but matbe out of a litter of eight one or two might do it....not every bull cross makes the grade but i bet the percentage is a damn sight higher.....

So in your opinion unless we have a bullx we should all pack up and stay at home :doh: I keep hearing about all this 10 - 12 foxes a week but never seen it yet or met anyone with a dog that doe's that week in week out!.....heard it all before....a bull x doesn't feel pain blah blah blah! get some new material mate its boring now! 8)

racist.. no, but a sterotype. yes if thats what people think.

uif peopel know i have ferrets, dogs and go shooting and use them all to hunt. thay think your going to kill every one at a school, like shoot up the place. :no: wankers i hate just about every one but you THL guys and my friuends n the real world and outher forumds. :D

So in your opinion unless we have a bullx we should all pack up and stay at home :doh: I keep hearing about all this 10 - 12 foxes a week but never seen it yet or met anyone with a dog that doe's that week in week out!.....heard it all before....a bull x doesn't feel pain blah blah blah! get some new material mate its boring now! 8)

i never said that did i ffs....im what happy with what i do and my breed of dog i never slate anyones dog... the people making all the fuss are the ones that say the bull x has no place here...as for the 10-12 foxes a week ive done it so have others some without bull crossers im sure however its the bull breeding that does this more and more....i find ur post insulting matey as you basically insinuate im a liar!!! you dont know me and i you...if its that boring dont read this thread maybe you shud start a thread about how great your line of dog is and how you dont catch 10-12 foxes a week....see how long the thread goes on ....i only have material on bull crossers as its all i run.....i have kept a pointer x pup back with a tiny ammount of bull however i only did it so my 10 yr old daughter had a rabbiting dog....like i said if im that boring go play in the ferreting section!!!

i never said that did i ffs....im what happy with what i do and my breed of dog i never slate anyones dog... the people making all the fuss are the ones that say the bull x has no place here...as for the 10-12 foxes a week ive done it so have others some without bull crossers im sure however its the bull breeding that does this more and more....i find ur post insulting matey as you basically insinuate im a liar!!! you dont know me and i you...if its that boring dont read this thread maybe you shud start a thread about how great your line of dog is and how you dont catch 10-12 foxes a week....see how long the thread goes on ....i only have material on bull crossers as its all i run.....i have kept a pointer x pup back with a tiny ammount of bull however i only did it so my 10 yr old daughter had a rabbiting dog....like i said if im that boring go play in the ferreting section!!!

Maybe you should read your own posts mate....not many contenders to your x although a Weaton x comes close...youve just written off the majority of lurcher owners out there get a grip. And never said the bull x doesn't have it's place here. As for insulting your the one insinuating that any dog other than a bull x is second rate. I dont need to big up my dog or feel the need to but what I dont like is someone thinking they know it all when theyre clearly talking out their arse. I'm of to play in the ferreting section they talk more sense in there. :thumbdown:

Maybe you should read your own posts mate....not many contenders to your x although a Weaton x comes close...youve just written off the majority of lurcher owners out there get a grip. And never said the bull x doesn't have it's place here. As for insulting your the one insinuating that any dog other than a bull x is second rate. I dont need to big up my dog or feel the need to but what I dont like is someone thinking they know it all when theyre clearly talking out their arse. I'm of to play in the ferreting section they talk more sense in there. :thumbdown:

pmsl..... i never big up anything iv only ever defended the breed of dog people choose to slag!!! i havent written anyone off youre the one insinuating again....ive had lurchers since i was 14 im 33 now so ive done my bit im no dog swapper...apart from injury and a couple that never made the grade almost all the dogs ive owned have made it to retirement...my oldest is my collie bull greyhound bitch whos about 6 at the moment i have a deerhound bull greyhound and a pointer,collie bull greyhound....ive had dogs in the past containing no bull i just know what i like and the bull breeding wins hands down... have fun in the ferreting section wont you!!! :notworthy:

before this decends any further mate lets just agree to disagree on opinions we have of our x's before it gets silly. You know what you like and I know what I like lets leave it at that....the ferreting section is to scary for me :thumbs:

LOL no worries...funny how we can get wrapped into something when so passionate lol besides i went to the ferreting section once... i wouldnt want you to stay there too long i still wake up shivvering... :clapper:

when my dad was into dogs years ago they were going out between 4/5/6 or even 7 times A WEEK and ALMOST every night were having 4s, 5s etc BUT they had a variety of dogs, collie x, saluki x, deerhound x etc

but what dad says is IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT BREED IF IT DOES THE JOB YOU'VE GOT IT FOR