WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK

This brings back some memories I must say, not long ago I was down by a river, with the dogs, a cold day and the river was slightly inflood and fast flowing, one thing lead to another and my terrier ended up in difficulty, without a thought i did a baywatch dive into the river and frantically rescued the dog, I lost my van keys in the process.Costing me over £250 to sort that out! bad times :whistling:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i,d have gone in but i can remember a few years back,aman jumped in the sea off blackpool to rescue his dog and he drowned trying and the dog got out on his own,iguess the dogs number was,nt up but his certainly was

Tough one.

Do I:

A. Watch my beloved dog drown in freezing water.

or

B. Run the risk of leaving my 4 young kids without a dog & a Dad.

No contest unless I wasn't out of my depth in the water. I love my dogs, but I love my kids more

A similer thing happened to me last year.

I was at Loch Lomond February 2008, and my Labrader who was 14 months old at the time. Anyway I decided to chuck in a stick which I thought he would get but never did instead he went to this bhoy which was further out, this bhoy was anchored down and wouldnt move. But my dog would not let go of it, he wanted to bring it back. After 5 minutes of him trying to get this thing back he started struggling and started whining. onlookers was like you better go out and get him or he will drown. So I stripped down to my boxers (how embarrassing in front of people), grabbed a life ring attached to a roped and swam in. The dog was about 30 metres out and it doesnt sound much but the water was freezing being middle of February.

When I got to him he immediately climbed on top of me putting all my body including my head below water, with one hand holding onto the life ring I used the other to grab my dog by the scruff of the neck and take him off me, but this made me put him under the water for a few seconds. At this time I was being pulled in by somebody on the shore while holding my dog still by the neck.

Got back to the shore stood up and couldnt move, an old couple who watched the whole thing said to me that you better cover him up or he will get pneumonia, they said this while I was there is just my boxers shivering to near death while my dog was back to his normal self.

I think the man was very brave but he should of taken something that floats on the surface of the water easily as if he got to the dog it would of done the same thing that my dog done and climbed on top of him putting him under water.

The thing that saved his dog and the thing that saved my dog was Adrenaline, that made me decide to go in after my dog. I did not feel the cold till I got out and rescued my dog.

So people if your dog finds itself struggling in water look around for something that floats and even better something that floats attached to a rope, cause once you get to your dog his automatic reaction is to hold onto you most likely your shoulders and its also when you start to feel the cold as you have accomplished your mission you'll be thinking about the cold and start to lose your strength.

Tough one.

Do I:

or

No contest unless I wasn't out of my depth in the water. I love my dogs, but I love my kids more

Er I think you will decide differently, if it happened to you mate. Its a thing called adrenaline, the thing that makes you do stuff even if they are stupid. It happened to me.

You got to think I know you are thinking of your kids but once that adrenaline kicks in you dont think of anything else but the subject.

df

Tough one.

Do I:

or

Er I think you will decide differently, if it happened to you mate. Its a thing called adrenaline, the thing that makes you do stuff even if they are stupid. It happened to me.

You got to think I know you are thinking of your kids but once that adrenaline kicks in you dont think of anything else but the subject.

df

Maybe I would who knows, but adrenaline doesn't just act on the body, it can also act to sharpen the mind.

I once had a tire blow out on the motorway at nearly 100mph, and I can tell you that my mind has never been as clear and focused as it was as I brought that car to a safe stop on the hard shoulder. :blink:

Sorry, he won't get my vote. I don't just react to things like that and would have anticipated the birds and been "on" my dog. He said himself he had learnt a lesson, lucky it wasn't a bigger one.

Cousin drowned on Loch Lomond and he was a county champion. Cramp and some weed round yer foot..bye.

Also its a dog, don't give it the emotional complexities of humans, don't risk someone trying to save you when it goes tits up, not that this bloke had too worry. He was history going by the by-standers, besides all for nothing as the dog heaved itself out as he got too it and if he hadn't broken the ice it would have walked out shook of and carried on.