Sailsbury Plain

Just out of interest does or did any one run there dogs around Sailsbury Plain area? I understand on the training area is quite dodgey stoney and what not but having seen alot of the game that got ran pre ban there i would have thought it would be a good place to go. If you do go whats the official MoD line on it do you have to get permision or can you just cut around?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full of flint but plenty of game mate,the ranges are no go areas and a very few passes are given out to sporting squaddies.Could see it coming on top quick around the camp areas,bullford,boscome down etc but haven't been that way for years,grew up in salisbury and seen plenty of things to chase from there to amesbury.

you can go on the ranges between bulford and tidworth in day light hours with a gun you need to get permission which isnt that hard to get. most of the east side of salisbury plain is open to the public via puplic rights of way, there is loads of them. i see alot of people walking there dogs in the evenings. stay away from the west side as the range wardens will be all over you like a tramp on a bag of chips. salisbury plain is being destroyed by rabbits, with so many scientific sites of interrest at risk something will be done soon.

you can go on the ranges between bulford and tidworth in day light hours with a gun you need to get permission which isnt that hard to get. most of the east side of salisbury plain is open to the public via puplic rights of way, there is loads of them. i see alot of people walking there dogs in the evenings. stay away from the west side as the range wardens will be all over you like a tramp on a bag of chips. salisbury plain is being destroyed by rabbits, with so many scientific sites of interrest at risk something will be done soon.

ranges are being used 7 days a week nearly every week now and they have moved the safety areas out further so not really anywhere to shoot anymore unless you join a syndicate ........

i had permission for rabbits on there cant remember the guys name for the permit a retired major he runs the shoots sg only, no air rifles aloud. ill try and get his number so you can speak to him the permit also covers your vehicle, you got to make the mod police and rmp aware or youll get lifted.

• 2 weeks later...
Just out of interest does or did any one run there dogs around Sailsbury Plain area? I understand on the training area is quite dodgey stoney and what not but having seen alot of the game that got ran pre ban there i would have thought it would be a good place to go. If you do go whats the official MoD line on it do you have to get permision or can you just cut around?

I fired anti aircraft guns on there in 1970, careful where you stand !!!! Military ground up here, they prosecute whats left of you. !!!

the ground on the actuall plains is mostly grass land and there are alot of land wardens landmarc security in landys and hi lux twin cabs an even the new silver ranger pickup but if you be carefull you can go about your business unhinderd ive been up there at least once and somtimes seven days a week in the season coursing/lamping/ferreting and never been in trouble, very very strong hares in the right places were its all bald,rabbits onthe lamp are easyiest about and ferreting can be testing

Done a bit there 6 weeks ago. Round by the white horse, and huge land. A very poor day seen no more than 6 or 7 the guys with me that run it, told me it was so poor it had to be the farmers spraying the land. I had heard great reports and it took me a day driving from Ireland to get there, so to say I was dissapointed is an understatement we were run off it too.

bran i was there the very same day 4/5 miles from where you were you were near pewsey we were between the old airport and the helipad and had some nice runs,you were with eddie ;) next time your over mate give me a shout an lets see if i can keep you busy atb lee

OK HERES THE TRUE STORE IV WORKED ALL OVER THE PLAIN FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS FOR THE ARMY AND BELIEVE ME IV ASK EVERY TOM DICK AND HARRY ABOUT FERRETING /LAMPING AND PRE BAN RUNNING THE HARES AND UNLESS YOU ARE A SOMEBODY OR YOU KNOW A SOMEBODY YOU WILL NOT GET ON TO THE PLAINS FOR HUNTING IV BEEN LUCKY ONCE WITH THE LURCHERS YEARS AGO AND THAT WAS ONLY BECAUSE ONE OF THE TOP BRASS SAID HIS DOG WAS THE BEST SO I PUT HIM TO THE TEST AND HE GOT US AND A FEW OTHERS A HALF DAY PASS OUT ON THE PLAIN TO RUN THE HARES BUT WE STILL HAD TWO MPS WITH US AT ALL TIME SO ALL I CAN SAY IS BEST OF LUCK TRYING AND IF YOU LUCKY TO GET THE RIGHTS ON THE PLAIN LOOK AFTER IT ...PS JUST FOR THE RECORD HE NEVER HAD THE BEST DOG I DID :tongue2:

That's right Leec, your a 100 per cent. You know Eddy and Jima, tell them I was asking? Wasn't mad on the ground leec, full of flint. You were lucky, seen very few walked until my feet bled! Thanks for the invite mate.