shotguns

whats the law on shooting deer with a shotgun.

Got a little fuzzy since the Deer Act amendment last year but in simple terms you can use 12g with AAA or bigger under certain circumstances, unless for humane dispatch!!

Not the best idea though and only suitable at close range, the appropriate rifle is the best choice for almost all situations!

Edited by Deker
i thort that you could shoot them with aaa at a range ov up to 30yrds.

get a bullet gun tho

There is no distance specified in the legislation, you may have seen a distance figure quoted somewhere as a guide, but that is what it is ..a guide, not law!! :thumbs:

I have done it.........the law is fuzzy at the moment

this link used to have all the details of the exception but its now being re-written!

http://www.bds.org.uk/use_of_shot_guns.html

It stated when causing serious agricultural damage and where no rifle was available! as well as mentioning landowner or agent etc.....

I have also done it due to safety reasons a rifle was in-appropriate, the last muntjac i took with the shotgun was behind a farm house and buildings and they were causing damage to the tree's there

There is a shoot near me that has a Muntjac drive every spring , last time i beat on it they shot 27 muntjac.......a drive is the only real way to get to terms with these little deer as stalking would have taken months to take that number...................lots more were seen and flushed and escaped un-harmed..........

In the states some area's only allow shotguns as they fear that rifle bullets carry too far?

I personally dont want to see the use of shotguns made illegal here, as they have a small niche use where a rifle is not suitable, and a muntjac drive is a great laugh :gunsmilie::whistling:

i don`t care what the law is you don`t shoot deer with a shotgun :thumbdown:

Group: Members

Member No.: 12826

Are you south of the border...not sure what the legislation is there???

i don`t care what the law is you don`t shoot deer with a shotgun :thumbdown:

Group: Members

Member No.: 12826

hi all the land I'm on is not suitable for firearms as i would rather see them shot with a firearms but wee have the chance to beet the roe on to shotguns as the only way of a cull.

Guest JohnGalway

I'm not sure either but I think they'd have to be causing damage to farm/plantation, person would have to apply for permission to use a shotgun and maybe an inspection would have to be done to prove the damage but like I say am not sure!

BDS would love a total ban on the use of shotguns against deer both on welfare grounds and as a way of boosting their desired monopoly of all matters concerning deer in this country. Sadly , in many areas rifle stalkers are proving unable to control deer numbers . Sometimes this is due to the practical limitations of the situation and sometimes it is because there is possibly too much emphasis on selective culls.(That last statement won't make me popular). The truth is that in my area rifle-stalkers have failed to control deer numbers and the population ,especially of fallow is amazingly high.

Possibly higher even than when King John sent 18 huntsmen with long-

nets and 200 greyhounds to this part of Sussex to provide venison for one of his feasts!..... I think this is great!. However where there are control measures needed I think BDS attitudes should not neccessarily be considered the only solution. Somewhere amongst the arguments for deer welfare versus the need for control lies a sensible compromise....

Edited by comanche