the big cheese squirrel cage trap

just bought a squirrel trap on ebay called the big cheese i set it up and the squirrels have taken the monkey nuts from the back of the cage but it didnt close. and i was wondering if anyone knew how to make it more sensertive or any tips on using it.

thanks daniel.

There could be several reasons....

These 'budget' traps are not very good really, and I'd suggest that anyone who is serious about trapping invests in the best quality kit they can get.

There are several ways to bait cage traps to prevent the bait being stolen. The best thing you can do (apart from binning that chinese monstrosity) is to post some pictures of the trap and the set, and we'll see what we can do to help..

agree with mat, they are shit, set one once about 5 year ago in a loft, befor i left the loft it sprung its self , and the spring broke.

the spring was like a bit of mettal banding, this was the first time the trap fired, as it was brand new out the box.

never again with big cheese. GOD KNOWS WHY KILLGERM SELL THERE RUBBISH :no:

I've used these traps with great sucess. I agree that they can need a little tweeking to get the mechanism sensitive enough. I've found the best bait to be chunky peanut butter spread libberally on the treadle plate. Test the trap with a pancil through the mesh.

webber

Ive had big cheese squirrel and mole traps, absolute garbage. Very low quality imo, the springs werent strong enough to kill the mole- just half squashing it but not killing it outright :o but apparantly the mole traps are now better.

When it comes to traps you pay for what you get.

I use a standard live trap designed for rabbits. I found that by baiting it with dry Ferret food i get one almost every time. :showoff:

Only found out this method by accident when trying to recapture a lost ferret in my woods last year.. :oops:

Matty

well my trap is in my local woods all baited up 3rd time lucky i hope but dont really think it will work, ill take some pictures tomoro when i go out with the gun. i thought they would be [bANNED TEXT] because i seen them in the country mans weekly and soem other places but at 13 pounds i can understand why it dont work now :angry2:

well cant find a camrer but you can see them on youtube or in the country mans weekly mag's.

donky, yes i do walk away and leave it they take all the nuts i chuck loads in the back like 2 hand fulls and leave come up in the morning all gone i even tied a nut to cage and dangled it down thinking they would strugly to get and it wouuld stand on the trigger but didnt work they chewed through the cord and it was strong cord i use to make prse nets .