Hardest hares....

Guest anonymous

Any hare between november and march take some catching around me

I ran three today with my whippets and great sport it was but they never looked like catching one.

i have never had a good hare dog, probably because i have never had an adult dog with saluki in it.

my best lurcher could catch the odd one as he was very fast but i wouldnt dare run him on the fens against a saluki blooded dog

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

welsh mountain hares are the hardest .not scottish, not english, welsh ,they breath fire when you piss em off,and they have wings

theres a lot of factors goes into a hare being good or strong if its living on open land it will have to have its wits about it at all times its got no cover to hide in, if its on a rich and varied diet from all the different crops it will be in good order and fit for giving a dog a lung tester. if the hares get ran regular they get wise to a dog as well as fitter. if the ground is vast and open you get to see what the dog and the hare are really about. hares are clever animals they use gates...fences....dips in the field.....dykes....ditches you name it to dodge the dogs attempts to catch it. if theres none of these things for the hare to use, it has to rely on sheer wits and running ability, dodging from side to side and going up and down its gears to gradually pull away from the dog and make it to some kind of sanctuary whether its a wood...hedge......pipe or wotever. the fens is where you will find hares like this. theres good strong hares in other parts of the country too but if you took these hares out of there comfort zone and put them on the fens they might not run so good without their little up and down fields,,,bits of cover,,,,hedges etcetc how many times have you seen a dog all over a hare and the hare comes to a fence or gate and the dog loses a few strides on it as it jumps over? ive seen hares go in and out of fences and hedges trying to tire the dog and lose it and sometimes it works. if theres no hegdes or fences there for it to use then its got to rely on flat out running. our irish hares are a good test for a running dog but the best test are the strong hares youse lads have over there on your fens brooky has made a top class post obviously a man who knows what es talking about!!

ive always said and always say some land aint going to favour the dog and some land favout the hare all in all , hares are roughly the same its the ground which helps them if youve hunted all over the uk usa you find out that hares are simliar but ground style suits diffrent dogs always been the same once you catch all the easy hares then after christmas it shows the dogs up on well run land

Guest Rabbiteer
Max,your bitch Nancy is coursing bred and you probably call her a Saluki lurcher? What % of her is Saluki? I'd hazard a guess and say she'll not be much more if any than other mixes in her possibly even Greyhound? I stand to be corrected though :icon_redface: .

The common denominator Andy is that her line is Bred best to best PROVEN DAYTIME HARE KILLING Lurchers with Saluki blood in the mix which gives them the wind, the toughness, heart, strike, ect maybe comes from the beddy, deerhound, even maybe a touch of bull or collie but what is certain every ancestor could take good numbers of daytime hares regular throughout the winter on field or fen. Her sire is Captain who is on vid taking 6-6 his owner wasnt scared of massive slips, Captain was by Gazza who once took 11-11, there is a pure saluki in her mix called Prince on her sire line as well as a hare killing machine of unknown breeding ie Laddie the Accident, her dam is Snowy who's mother was Seagull who was by Mcullochs Fred x Eve, fred was by a three quatre saluki - greyhound out of a sister to Fly. Eve was by the Prince dog (pure saluki) So imo saluki x lurchers who could kill DAYTIME HARES WITH STYLE :yes:

:clapper::clapper::clapper: read it and weep :clapper::clapper::feck:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0

I havent been involved in a lot of hare coursing/lamping in the time i have been into dogs. But i've done a little bit of it.

The only input i can really give is these "northern" or "lamped" and even "northern lamped" hare's are not as 'easy' as you may think they are. I have seen a couple of "gruellers" but also seen a couple of "quick uns"

Like any other subject that arrises on these "internet communitys" if you want to see how "easy" it is, just come up & give it a go.....

Like the Markbrick/Fen's challenge :D he went up and proved himself :laugh:

against a sapling ye ye ye. one swallow dont make a summer :angel:

The hardest hares i have seen, have been the White-tailed jack rabbit (Hare) run in the state of Wyoming!...takes some dog to do them single-handed, daytime!...there hard as f**k on the lamp!..lol.

Kye..

Its all horses for courses lads the fact of the matter is there are some smashing dogs on the fens are there are smashing dogs that have never seen the fens either way there all good dogs if they catch hares!!!! :thumbs:

I googled fen hare and found this on wikipedia

"The fen hare is a hybrid of the brown hare its faster and more agile than the brown hare. The fen hare has a cult following of worshipers who call themself CN'S disciples that idolize it and some believe it has super hare powers enabling it to outwit the best saluki crosses they have to run after it! The cult also believe no other lurcher cross is worthy of coursing these fen hares or is even capable of coursing and catching one."

does anyone know if any good Fen dogs have gone elsewhere to run i.e. back to Iran/Kazakstan etc or to America? People talk about how good they are, but I wonder how they compare to other places in the world?

and how are they on things OTHER than hares?