Hardest hares....

Guest anonymous

Guest anonymous
people bred dogs for the land they hunt, i think if it was not for the fen lurchers saluks etc half of this country wouldnt have see a saluk lurcher , i like the determanaition of some of the fen type and diluted down with other genuine bred lurchers they make good allround working lurchers as you have to have good feet tp run for 2 to 4 minutes 3 or 4 times weekly, have wind determanation to run soft plough or whatever , speeds easy to breed in but guile at boxing hares keeping them of fences keeping sound footed takes years of triid and tested dogs,most decent hare dogs etc come of off dogs who have one fenland comps just diluted to suit the land

Aye right....... So you reckon that before the great fen men came along Lurchers were of poorer quality? As for your saluki cross, big deal. You get good n bad just like any breed. No wonder hey do so well in the fens, they are made for running in the desert and believe you me, the fens is the closest thing Britain has to one!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

welsh mountain hares are the hardest .not scottish, not english, welsh ,they breath fire when you piss em off,and they have wings

Guest anonymous
WHAT A POINTLESS TOPIC EVERYONE NO'S DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS AND DIFFERENT PLACES

Ahem.... Aye cheers for your input Micky, err well put........ :stupid:

You only put it on to get the backs up of the lads who run there dogs on the fen you numpty

Cheers again Micky, your point is dully noted....

Seen a few posts on here sucking up to the fen guys as if the fens was the be all end all of Lurcherdom.... Which is your fav fen man and dog springs to mind! :friends: I'll be honest here, I've seen the videos and get this... it don't do it for me. Yes it has wide open space and it's a wildlife camera mans dream because of this but it is so anti hare giving an unfair advantage towards the dog.

The nearest cover for the dog is MILES away! :icon_eek: The Hare gets up, the dog looks at it :snack: as it ambles away knowing fine well a 100 yards is F all and so does the hare. If ANY dog can't get onto a hare with a hundred yard start in the fens then I'd be amazed and I don't just mean lurchers. I'd like to see a full bred Alsation on one just to see what happens. So what I am basically saying is that the one only real quality a good fen dog needs is Stamina! Hence all the Saluki crosses that have sprung up over the last decade.

Now, I reckon places like Perth are far harder and are more demanding on a dog. You need a canny dog with good wits about it to catch a hare here. It needs to be fast off the mark and also have good stamina. A decent size field might only be 50 acres and get this, there are fences :tongue4: to negotiate. Do fen hares actually know what a gate is? :duh:

What you reckon?

Why not get down there with some readies , some of those fen coursers will show your dogs a few gates ,and show you ,what your arse is for.
Guest anonymous
Seen a few posts on here sucking up to the fen guys as if the fens was the be all end all of Lurcherdom.... Which is your fav fen man and dog springs to mind! :friends: I'll be honest here, I've seen the videos and get this... it don't do it for me. Yes it has wide open space and it's a wildlife camera mans dream because of this but it is so anti hare giving an unfair advantage towards the dog.

The nearest cover for the dog is MILES away! :icon_eek: The Hare gets up, the dog looks at it :snack: as it ambles away knowing fine well a 100 yards is F all and so does the hare. If ANY dog can't get onto a hare with a hundred yard start in the fens then I'd be amazed and I don't just mean lurchers. I'd like to see a full bred Alsation on one just to see what happens. So what I am basically saying is that the one only real quality a good fen dog needs is Stamina! Hence all the Saluki crosses that have sprung up over the last decade.

Now, I reckon places like Perth are far harder and are more demanding on a dog. You need a canny dog with good wits about it to catch a hare here. It needs to be fast off the mark and also have good stamina. A decent size field might only be 50 acres and get this, there are fences :tongue4: to negotiate. Do fen hares actually know what a gate is? :duh:

What you reckon?

Why not get down there with some readies , some of those fen coursers will show your dogs a few gates ,and show you ,what your arse is for.

Cheers Micky, you've finally came to crux of the problem. MONEY!!! That is the sole reason of the fen men and thier dogs. It all boils down to money. The fens is just a glorified race track!!! Not my cup of tea pal, I'm into hunting. If I want a flutter there are plenty of flapping tracks about....

ASD not having a dig you say coursing dogs bred for the fen cant do a good job up your way :thumbs: BUT......what about the dogs u breed/Keep for hunting round your way can they do the job on the Fen ??? Not having a dog just trying to highlight a point.

Everytime this topic arises everyones opinions fire up :blink: Personally i keep what dogs do the job for me, they suit the style of hunting i do and the land i carry it out on, simple as that :yes: :yes:

ATB TOMMY :yes: :yes:

i reckon the dogs in the fen area are better than thye were down that way thirty or 40 years ago , and breeding more typey and reproducing there self , tell me are greyhounds faster are lurchers breeding more true now we have more knowledge well some of has , so it is a bit easier i think there less feild craft now with guys, some thing i , ,rate better than any dog , if saluks are not your dog you dont get then mate there other types , ive treid all sorts of dogs to get the ones thtas suit the land i hunt not just piont and slip dogs etc

Guest anonymous
i reckon the dogs in the fen area are better than thye were down that way thirty or 40 years ago , and breeding more typey and reproducing there self , tell me are greyhounds faster are lurchers breeding more true now we have more knowledge well some of has , so it is a bit easier i think there less feild craft now with guys, some thing i , ,rate better than any dog , if saluks are not your dog you dont get then mate there other types , ive treid all sorts of dogs to get the ones thtas suit the land i hunt not just piont and slip dogs etc

Still stand by what I originally said mate, they aren't the be all. You meet some guys up here and they have got a decent looking dog and they'll say, he's ran the fens you know!!! As if it means Jack....... Still maintain hares are harder to catch up here than on the fens. Obviously they are... If a hare could talk I know where it would rather live......... no cover or plenty of cover........ hmmmmmm :drag:

Guest mickyrich
ASD not having a dig you say coursing dogs bred for the fen cant do a good job up your way :thumbs: BUT......what about the dogs u breed/Keep for hunting round your way can they do the job on the Fen ??? Not having a dog just trying to highlight a point.

Everytime this topic arises everyones opinions fire up :blink: Personally i keep what dogs do the job for me, they suit the style of hunting i do and the land i carry it out on, simple as that :yes: :yes:

:thumbs: tic tic tic this post has lift off :tongue2: Edited by mickyrich

:thumbs: tic tic tic this post has lift off :tongue2:

TRUE ,U BREED THE DOG FOR THE GROUND IT RUNS ON ,BUT A GOOD HEARTED DOG SHOULD KILL ANY WHERE ,HAZY AND MILLIOS BROUGHT ALL THE BIG BETTING BOYS FROM THE NORTH AND LONDON DOWN HERE TO THE SUSSEX DOWNS,ALL THE DOGS COULDNT BEND A HARE ,MY OPIUON SOUTH DOWNS R THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY,U GOT A DOG TO KILL ON THEM DOWNS 1S OR 2S ,HE KILL 3S 4S 5S ANYWERE ELSE

Guest anonymous

:thumbs: tic tic tic this post has lift off :tongue2:

TRUE ,U BREED THE DOG FOR THE GROUND IT RUNS ON ,BUT A GOOD HEARTED DOG SHOULD KILL ANY WHERE ,HAZY AND MILLIOS BROUGHT ALL THE BIG BETTING BOYS FROM THE NORTH AND LONDON DOWN HERE TO THE SUSSEX DOWNS,ALL THE DOGS COULDNT BEND A HARE ,MY OPIUON SOUTH DOWNS R THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY,U GOT A DOG TO KILL ON THEM DOWNS 1S OR 2S ,HE KILL 3S 4S 5S ANYWERE ELSE

Crunch....................... crunch crunch...........

I have always stated that mine are lamp dogs ONLY Tommy :victory: ,i'm not saying they wouldn't catch on the big land but it's not my thing mate :thumbdown: .It was as i said earlier Tommy,the Judy bitch was a machine on the Fens yet wasn't worth a carrot up here,the lad who i do my hunting with bought a dog off Nuttall stuff could kill up here ok but gave it a whirl on the lamp and he had to carry it home,totally different types of dog for totally different types of work :victory: .What i do with my dogs isn't everyones cup of tea but it is MINE and to be honest i don't give a flying **** what anyone else thinks.Good luck to the daywalkers who like to strut their stuff on the open land but you know and i know that you couldn't go to do a plumbing job with a set of carpenters tools and this game is no different :victory: .Cheers Andy. :good:

i like that attuitude.pity more people don't have it... do what you do and let others do what suits them!

:thumbdown:

Seems to me the fen guys have lost the true meaning of hunting. It's all about money and numbers now, sad.
Its not about money its enjoying the course. i dont bet or challenge for money, i enjoy what i do as you enjoy what ever you do. sounds like your knocking people in what they hunt. sounds like your a WIND UP MERCHANT :thumbdown:

HAPPY HUNTING PEOPLE