Starting your lurcher correctly

ive got no probs with my dogs full stop how many dogs have i got 8 all of them can stop hare single handed two of them are under 12 mths old the oldest is ten i have worked lurchers for over 40 yrs and have run them on a regular basis all over the country day and night last thursday i was in lincoln last saturday i was in salisbury ive been out lamping every night with my youngsters and i will be out tonight with em my dogs are worked to the hilt and always will be they are working dogs . there is no substitute for experience and i can assure you that waiting around for 12 to 18 mths you will never attain the full potential from your animal thats if your capable of getting that potential or the dog as got the potential to make a top class animal a dog learns best when it is young and impressionable not when it is 18 mths old a dog should be flying at that age not starting out . you talk about bone and other things not being mature what a load of twaddle lurchers are born to run and from a young age thats what they do deformities in bone have nothing to do with working a dog to young the blame lies firmly at the door of the show fraternity not from working a dog to young what do you think the drovers of yesteryear done when they were driving cattle and sheep hundreds of miles across the country do you think they left thetre pups tied to a tree to pick up on the way back two or three mths later or do you think they took em with em and let em run and walk 20 to 30 miles a day or the hill farmer whos livelihood depended on his dogs being able to run the mountains all day on the roughest of ground do you think he left his dog at home until it was 12 to 18 mths old before he started to train it then found out that it wasnt going to make the grade i dont think so do you . no my friend you need to get em young and regular thats the way you get the best out of them and give them the best of chances to make the grade please dont try to undermine me because i put a couple of pics up because i can put dozens up in fact i will put some up in the morning from tonights venture out with some 10 mth old saluki pups im running .

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got no probs with my dogs full stop how many dogs have i got 8 all of them can stop hare single handed two of them are under 12 mths old the oldest is ten i have worked lurchers for over 40 yrs and have run them on a regular basis all over the country day and night last thursday i was in lincoln last saturday i was in salisbury ive been out lamping every night with my youngsters and i will be out tonight with em my dogs are worked to the hilt and always will be they are working dogs . there is no substitute for experience and i can assure you that waiting around for 12 to 18 mths you will never attain the full potential from your animal thats if your capable of getting that potential or the dog as got the potential to make a top class animal a dog learns best when it is young and impressionable not when it is 18 mths old a dog should be flying at that age not starting out . you talk about bone and other things not being mature what a load of twaddle lurchers are born to run and from a young age thats what they do deformities in bone have nothing to do with working a dog to young the blame lies firmly at the door of the show fraternity not from working a dog to young what do you think the drovers of yesteryear done when they were driving cattle and sheep hundreds of miles across the country do you think they left thetre pups tied to a tree to pick up on the way back two or three mths later or do you think they took em with em and let em run and walk 20 to 30 miles a day or the hill farmer whos livelihood depended on his dogs being able to run the mountains all day on the roughest of ground do you think he left his dog at home until it was 12 to 18 mths old before he started to train it then found out that it wasnt going to make the grade i dont think so do you . no my friend you need to get em young and regular thats the way you get the best out of them and give them the best of chances to make the grade please dont try to undermine me because i put a couple of pics up because i can put dozens up in fact i will put some up in the morning from tonights venture out with some 10 mth old saluki pups im running .

I think you misunderstand what im saying, Im not trying to undermine you and im sorry if you think that and im not saying leave training till 12/18 months im saying train in moderation until then. And if you read my original post properly you will se i say they should be catching well at 18 months and at their best by about 2 yrs. I am sure your dogs are all you say they are but 6 months extra working will be of no benefit imo. there seems to be a stigma attached to working dogs that they must be treated differently in some way, imo that is not true and i think its silly taking care with a puppy is not molly codling its just sense. I am not talking about bone deformities im talking about wear and tear when they are not properly set and that is fact. Im not saying wrap them in cotton wool merely take care until they are mature. your dogs work no better than mine im sure of it, just that i dont feel the need to post pics of hunting expeditions, im happy with my lurchers and they do all that yours do so where is the difference?

Also as many lurchers have some degree of greyhound blood i thought this may be relevant ;

Hip and joint disorders: hip dysplasia is a somewhat common disorder that can strike dogs as young as 3-4 years, though is more common over 5. There is very little that can be done for this genetic disorder other than trying to prevent it through gentle work when the dog is still a pup.

Broken bones: Greyhound bones are quite delicate for such a big dog.

I also found this in a paper written by Dr Ray Ferguson who has been extensively involved in greyhound racing for over 25 years. He is past president of the Australian Greyhound Veterinary Association, and is currently the secretary/treasurer. Ray is the current lecturer on greyhound medicine and surgery at the University of Melbourne, and has presented many lectures in Australia and the USA.

AND

Dr Mark Foley who is also highly experienced in greyhound work and his surgery especially the repair of the fractured hocks, metacarpals, and other bones is excellent. Mark carries out referral surgery on greyhounds from all over Australia. His "back to racing" record is excellent.

Too much running and walking predisposes to:

Muscle and joint injury.

Poor recovery after each run.

Excessive "puffing" after a run.

Fatigue after 400 - 500 metres.

Increased thirst and urination.

"Water Diabetes", Dehydration and, Acidosis.

Kidney infections.

But you say you work yours to the hilt, that means to the limit so if there is a limit that you work them too there is no problem im sure. mine are worked to their limit also, just started 6 month later than yours and i see no harm only benefit in it.

Dont get me wrong they do get out before 12 months, their are exercised and play with all my other dogs, go out lamping but genrally dont get a slip unless i feel it would be beneficial. the post was meant for new/inexperienced lurcher owners who, without the experience that you or i have would be less able to judge a suitable slip.

Atb

I think you misunderstand what im saying, Im not trying to undermine you and im sorry if you think that and im not saying leave training till 12/18 months im saying train in moderation until then. And if you read my original post properly you will se i say they should be catching well at 18 months and at their best by about 2 yrs. I am sure your dogs are all you say they are but 6 months extra working will be of no benefit imo. there seems to be a stigma attached to working dogs that they must be treated differently in some way, imo that is not true and i think its silly taking care with a puppy is not molly codling its just sense. I am not talking about bone deformities im talking about wear and tear when they are not properly set and that is fact. Im not saying wrap them in cotton wool merely take care until they are mature. your dogs work no better than mine im sure of it, just that i dont feel the need to post pics of hunting expeditions, im happy with my lurchers and they do all that yours do so where is the difference?

Also as many lurchers have some degree of greyhound blood i thought this may be relevant ;

Hip and joint disorders: hip dysplasia is a somewhat common disorder that can strike dogs as young as 3-4 years, though is more common over 5. There is very little that can be done for this genetic disorder other than trying to prevent it through gentle work when the dog is still a pup.

Broken bones: Greyhound bones are quite delicate for such a big dog.

I also found this in a paper written by Dr Ray Ferguson who has been extensively involved in greyhound racing for over 25 years. He is past president of the Australian Greyhound Veterinary Association, and is currently the secretary/treasurer. Ray is the current lecturer on greyhound medicine and surgery at the University of Melbourne, and has presented many lectures in Australia and the USA.

AND

Dr Mark Foley who is also highly experienced in greyhound work and his surgery especially the repair of the fractured hocks, metacarpals, and other bones is excellent. Mark carries out referral surgery on greyhounds from all over Australia. His "back to racing" record is excellent.

Too much running and walking predisposes to:

Muscle and joint injury.

Poor recovery after each run.

Excessive "puffing" after a run.

Fatigue after 400 - 500 metres.

Increased thirst and urination.

"Water Diabetes", Dehydration and, Acidosis.

Kidney infections.

But you say you work yours to the hilt, that means to the limit so if there is a limit that you work them too there is no problem im sure. mine are worked to their limit also, just started 6 month later than yours and i see no harm only benefit in it.

Dont get me wrong they do get out before 12 months, their are exercised and play with all my other dogs, go out lamping but genrally dont get a slip unless i feel it would be beneficial. the post was meant for new/inexperienced lurcher owners who, without the experience that you or i have would be less able to judge a suitable slip.

Atb

How long have you been working lurchers and how mant nights a week you out?

I read the last few posts on this thread and was wondering why you would breed a dog with genetic problems in the first place. I only breed worker to worker and do not have any problems all dogs are run as soon as they want and just enough so they are crazy keen at there game after there first birthday they must perform or are culled no excuses. I do not agree with crossing show dogs with workers as the pups end up in pet homes and they start dictating what a dog should or should not do because of there own dogs faults. I believe you should hunt your dogs hard and often. I have people asking for my started dogs as they know the game and are happy with there lot in life. If they are not running mad by a year they would not be running any more.

edited to add no brownie points here just my opinion thats all

Edited by Rocks

DSCF0164.jpg

These are photo's of our young dogs pushing 18 months old, after an all day session on the bunnies yesterday. Maybee 30 runs plus in a day, plus hunting up inbetween, (not slipped).

These dogs got the odd outing at the end of last season, (end of feb) just to give them an idea. And have been given the chance to work hard for the last 5-6 weeks, (twice a week) to learn there trade.

They are 4th generation collie greys, bred from worker to worker, proven rabbit dogs, at 26"tts, strong and have stamina.

Even now we will hold them back from running them in a few areas, untill next year maybee, seen dogs collapse and get the bends, and one drop dead.

Depends on the ground, and the amount of running a dog has to do. Would not like to see these dogs, (best we have had for some time) jacking, giving mouth or dropping because they are pushed too far before there time.

People have different ways, if it works don't change it! ;)

Edited by Brimmer
my dog had his first rabbit at 6 months old takes them no problem now and labsandlurchers i bet my dog would piss any of yours were you live

mid wales, got a spare room and plenty of land to go at if you fancy. I dont want this getting into an argument but im always up for a friendly challenge and you will be made welcome. :)

Why are people arguing about peoples opinions? I think starting a dog at 12 months is the best advise for beginners i.e a newbie with his/her first pup, if you have worked your dogs since the dawn of time, and find that a younger pup runs better with an older dog, fine.

But as the post was aimed at newcomers without an older experienced dog, i think the advise was sensible.