Fitter = Faster

Well I play alot of rugby and pre-season and during the season we do a hell of a lot of sprint training. Now this isn't 2 make us fitter for endurance so we can run all afternoon it's 2 get us from point A to point B quicker than the opposition.

Isn't that faster/quicker. So if us humans can train to increase our speed (fastness) why can't our k9 friends???

It is a common known fact that if your parents are quick then you tend to have better fast twitch muscles which make you quick so it's the same in dogs.

But you definitley can train a dog or a person to be quicker than if they were natural!!!!

Points to note here are:

Your sprint training (anaerobic work), believe it or not, WILL actually have a positive effect on your endurance. This is as a result of your anaerobic threshold (the point at which you start training/ working anaerobically) increasing as your body learns to be more effective at removing the lactate etc. from the working muscles. This means that you are able to work aerobically at a higher heart rate than you could before and, therefore, you can maintain lower intensity exercise for longer. (ever noticed the way you seem to walk just that wee bit faster when you're match fit? It's also a similar principal to the way a powerlifter can usually lift something like a chair etc. much easier than the guy from the Mr Muscle ads)

It's also, generally, accepted that your cardio fitness is more likely to be inherited from your mothers side as sperm do not possess mitochondria (the little furnaces where aerobic energy is created), although there will always be debate about this.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I play alot of rugby and pre-season and during the season we do a hell of a lot of sprint training. Now this isn't 2 make us fitter for endurance so we can run all afternoon it's 2 get us from point A to point B quicker than the opposition.

Isn't that faster/quicker. So if us humans can train to increase our speed (fastness) why can't our k9 friends???

It is a common known fact that if your parents are quick then you tend to have better fast twitch muscles which make you quick so it's the same in dogs.

But you definitley can train a dog or a person to be quicker than if they were natural!!!!

Points to note here are:

Your sprint training (anaerobic work), believe it or not, WILL actually have a positive effect on your endurance. This is as a result of your anaerobic threshold (the point at which you start training/ working anaerobically) increasing as your body learns to be more effective at removing the lactate etc. from the working muscles. This means that you are able to work aerobically at a higher heart rate than you could before and, therefore, you can maintain lower intensity exercise for longer. (ever noticed the way you seem to walk just that wee bit faster when you're match fit? It's also a similar principal to the way a powerlifter can usually lift something like a chair etc. much easier than the guy from the Mr Muscle ads)

It's also, generally, accepted that your cardio fitness is more likely to be inherited from your mothers side as sperm do not possess mitochondria (the little furnaces where aerobic energy is created), although there will always be debate about this.

would agree strength training improves muscle strength so biomechanics so speed and increases vo2 max etc but don't blame lactate. (i'm fed up with moaning about barf so will moan about lactate for a while). The strengh training should not increase bulk if you want stamina.

That IS faster over a given distance ie: point A to point B.

Put it this way, if someone says "how fast is your car mate?" I don't tell them i can do london to leeds in two hours. (average over a given distance)

I'd say 160mph. (Top speed)

So when you do your training is your max speed faster? or is it your acceleration to it and how long you can hold it?

I'd say both I mean we work on endurance the same as running a dog behind the bike. We also work on speed running a dog behind quarry. So I mean it must be better to exercise and feed the dog well than sit in the kennel doing feck all!!!

Surely there faster if you train them!!!

fitter = faster

yeah it does mean if ur dog is fit then it will be faster :clapper:

take track greyhounds when we used 2 have a gamble we used 2 get them really fit (bouncing) when we had gamble we let there fitness go down so there time would slow down which means there not as fast and would be down graded.

fitter = faster is not compareing 2 dogs its about the dog in question a fitter dog will run faster!!!!!

Joe

Me and the old feller run collie greys on rabbits, nothing else, during the day. The dogs need stamina for lots of runs, and a turn of speed to nail them before the runs get too hairy! (Rock edges, and bomb holes).

It takes us 3-4 weekends at the start of the season before the dogs are properly in gear, (Speed and stamina). At this point, the food intake is greatly increased to feed the metabolism of the working animal out twice a week.

I've seen dogs in the past go out nearly every day, and perform strongly when fit. (but need lots of extra food, and lack that dynamite edge, but only just, because of all the work.)

It's a balancing act on feed/work but always the dog has been quicker and had more stamina with regular work.

To me, any individual dog will run faster and longer if fit, there is no dog that runs faster when unfit.

But a dog can only uses the make up its born with.

I.e a naturally slow dog will run faster when fit, but compared to a lot of dogs will still be slow.

a naturally fast dog, may run very quick and be faster than most when unfit, but if it was fit it would run that little faster,

Fittness is all about getting the most out of what a individual dog can give.

In my opinion you have hit the nail on the head :clapper:

Me and the old feller run collie greys on rabbits, nothing else, during the day. The dogs need stamina for lots of runs, and a turn of speed to nail them before the runs get too hairy! (Rock edges, and bomb holes).

It takes us 3-4 weekends at the start of the season before the dogs are properly in gear, (Speed and stamina). At this point, the food intake is greatly increased to feed the metabolism of the working animal out twice a week.

I've seen dogs in the past go out nearly every day, and perform strongly when fit. (but need lots of extra food, and lack that dynamite edge, but only just, because of all the work.)

It's a balancing act on feed/work but always the dog has been quicker and had more stamina with regular work.

I agree, the key to it is the balance of the feed, training and work. Over training and over working will be detremental just as under training and working.