Netting or Lining off the Beach

Dont know if this is true, but was told when netting Sea Bass in the Solway, Scottish side, if you catch Seatrout or Salmon dead, they have to be left lying on the sand, if you lift them and take them, you have committed an offense.

Is this true?

The easy way to find out the bylaws in your area, as well as what is legal or not, is ring up your local sea fisheries officer and ask them, they are usually only to welcome to help. The bylaws are different all around the country. In the North Western and North Wales area, they are as netter has described, and generally boil down to you can net off the beach almost anywhere except nursery areas from 31st November to 1st March (I think from memory). From March to November you cannot net in specific areas, usually anywhere there is a chance you may take migratory fish (Salmon or sea trout), such as within a set distance either side of the mouths of rivers or streams, the straits, the dee, etc. Your net must also have a buoy each end, one with your name or contact details on. Ring your fisheries up and they will tell you all you need.

If you do decide to net off the beach, don't expect to make many freinds with rod and line anglers. A lot that is written about netters on fishing forums is noncence, both about the legalities and the number of fish you will catch. A good idea would be to look for a high tide falling in the middle of the night, and set your net just on or after low water (as it is going dark), and get up eary and pick it up early the next morning, getting down there hour or two before low, saves a lot of hassle. Make sure you anchor it down well, especially on a big tide or rough weather, or you will lose it, and it will continue killing for a long time. If there is a lot of weed in the water, expect your net to be full of it when you pick it up, and it will be heavy. Crabs and dogfish are a real pain and a killer to get out of your net. Setting your net across gullies I think from memory is not technically legal, but if you set your net and find that the tide that night has created a gulley across the middle of your net, the part of the net in the gully will almost always have the majority of your catch in it. A quad would be a godsend, but a barrow will do so long as you dont have to walk miles out to low. Avoid trammels until you know what you are doing, a good shop to get your nets and equip is advanced netting, tell them what you plan to do and let them recomend a net, avoid ebay. It can be good fun, and a good way to catch a few fish for the freezer, but can also be very hard work, but ring the fisheries and find out where and when you can go and what you can use, will save you a lot of grief, Gaz.

• Like 1

The easy way to find out the bylaws in your area, as well as what is legal or not, is ring up your local sea fisheries officer and ask them, they are usually only to welcome to help. The bylaws are different all around the country. In the North Western and North Wales area, they are as netter has described, and generally boil down to you can net off the beach almost anywhere except nursery areas from 31st November to 1st March (I think from memory). From March to November you cannot net in specific areas, usually anywhere there is a chance you may take migratory fish (Salmon or sea trout), such as within a set distance either side of the mouths of rivers or streams, the straits, the dee, etc. Your net must also have a buoy each end, one with your name or contact details on. Ring your fisheries up and they will tell you all you need.

If you do decide to net off the beach, don't expect to make many freinds with rod and line anglers. A lot that is written about netters on fishing forums is noncence, both about the legalities and the number of fish you will catch. A good idea would be to look for a high tide falling in the middle of the night, and set your net just on or after low water (as it is going dark), and get up eary and pick it up early the next morning, getting down there hour or two before low, saves a lot of hassle. Make sure you anchor it down well, especially on a big tide or rough weather, or you will lose it, and it will continue killing for a long time. If there is a lot of weed in the water, expect your net to be full of it when you pick it up, and it will be heavy. Crabs and dogfish are a real pain and a killer to get out of your net. Setting your net across gullies I think from memory is not technically legal, but if you set your net and find that the tide that night has created a gulley across the middle of your net, the part of the net in the gully will almost always have the majority of your catch in it. A quad would be a godsend, but a barrow will do so long as you dont have to walk miles out to low. Avoid trammels until you know what you are doing, a good shop to get your nets and equip is advanced netting, tell them what you plan to do and let them recomend a net, avoid ebay. It can be good fun, and a good way to catch a few fish for the freezer, but can also be very hard work, but ring the fisheries and find out where and when you can go and what you can use, will save you a lot of grief, Gaz.

bang on there gaz

Nice catch Bell, someone once told me that for the trout, inland is more productive! :thumbs: All the best, Gaz

But Gaz......wouldnt that get you into a spot of bother :blink: .......no, think i will stick to the high seas catching mullet and them other ones, the silvery speckled ones........think theyre a type of mullet :icon_eek:

yes i am sure it would, all the best, Gaz :victory:

There used to be a chap off here, Mackem........he enjoyed an evening or two inland netting. His photos were a credit to him but it must have been cold where he was as he normally sported a balaclava :icon_eek:

yes i am sure it would, all the best, Gaz :victory:

There used to be a chap off here, Mackem........he enjoyed an evening or two inland netting. His photos were a credit to him but it must have been cold where he was as he normally sported a balaclava :icon_eek:

use to like his posts and the pics with them

Fair play, I will have a look for his posts, can understand the balaclava, can sure get cold :D

With the huge decline in some species of fish in the last few years personally I couldn't bring myself to go near running water nowadays, feel they need all the help they can get. Each to his own though and respect that those that still do (penalties are severe!)

Don't believe it is the odd few getting gilled / gaffed that has crippled the stocks, that has gone on since man knitted nets, more likely water abstraction of our rivers and purse seiners at sea in my opinion.

Saying that no need to hang up the "mono fly"inland just yet, I was told some of the larger secluded inland still waters with long shallow banks can be productive, and also have loverly views, lots of rainbows! :thumbs: Gaz

Edit: Having just searched this forum all I can say is respect to Mackem, quality posts, must have nuts like watermelons as my arse used to twitch staying local and never dreaming of taking a photo at night!, all the best Gaz

Edited by gazjon5

Fair play, I will have a look for his posts, can understand the balaclava, can sure get cold :D

With the huge decline in some species of fish in the last few years personally I couldn't bring myself to go near running water nowadays, feel they need all the help they can get. Each to his own though and respect that those that still do (penalties are severe!)

Don't believe it is the odd few getting gilled / gaffed that has crippled the stocks, that has gone on since man knitted nets, more likely water abstraction of our rivers and purse seiners at sea in my opinion.

Saying that no need to hang up the "mono fly"inland just yet, I was told some of the larger secluded inland still waters with long shallow banks can be productive, and also have loverly views, lots of rainbows! :thumbs: Gaz

Edit: Having just searched this forum all I can say is respect to Mackem, quality posts, must have nuts like watermelons as my arse used to twitch staying local and never dreaming of taking a photo at night!, all the best Gaz

Yes Gaz he did get himself into some right old scrapes............wonder where he is :hmm: