feeding rabbit's to your dogs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you guys feed the rabbitts to your dogs doe you cook them or feed them raw and do you give them the bones also any help would be great

Feed them raw, bones and all.

I tend to remove the skins (leaving the head on) and gut.

Freeze them to make sure any worm cysts that may have been missed during gutting are dealt with, ( this isnt a general rule i use but with large numbers of rabbits they obviously keep longer frozen and can be simply defrosted when needed).

Remember to always worm your dog regularly, especially if feeding freshly cought rabbit.

:thumbs:

when you guys feed the rabbitts to your dogs doe you cook them or feed them raw and do you give them the bones also any help would be great

Feed them raw, bones and all.

:yes:

I gut and skin them then freeze them for a minimum of 21 days then feed them to the dogs.

I used to feed them boiled, on the bone, unill one of my dogs got a rib bone stuck scross her larynx !! That was a £400 + vet bill, (luckily the dogs are insured, so only the first £60 !!), now I boil them and take the meat of the bone.

Cheers.

Hi when i had a pack to feed we used to put them in a Burco Water Boiler, boil until bones go soft, add veg and meal, good grub for a couple of days

gunner eat the bones and the meat and all

we were lamping with my mates dog last year and we stopped to gut two rabbits and we finished and switched the lamp off we were only in the first 20 mins of the night and we heard a "munch scof" two rabbits guts gone in about 2 seconds well that was the end of our lamping trip that night :laugh:

Will, What does a "munch scof" sound like :clapper:

We feed them fresh or frozen but always raw. And they get everything. Never had a problem with wormy dogs.

Not convinced feeding the fur is any more risky than feeding the bones and it has the added advantage of acting as a natural wormer.

But would you want a dog expected to bring bunnies back in the field to be eating the fur (none of my current dogs hunt)?

So tell me all who feed them to them raw with fur on..... Do you lurchers bring there catch back to hand????? I would think most would just run off and start eating them, as after all it is there tea. If they dont and bring to hand, you have very inteligent lurchers..... Adog needs worming every month if it is eating raw animals....

Well thats a vets view, i as only last week about feeding rabbit, raw or cooked... I am more interested in what your dog does with thge rabbit when caught... if you feed it tripe for example. Put the tripe in its bowl, then throw its bowl. Would the dog go and retrieve the bowl for you??? Or would it start eating its tea...

Mine eat them fresh, warm and complete!! Rabbit skin acts as a natural wormer, worms will attach to the skin and fur in the dogs gut and pass with faeces.

They will still lay in the dogs stomach!!! So no one would have to buy worming tablets, just go and get an animal pelt and feed it your dog! lol