feeding rabbit's to your dogs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats a vets view, i as only last week about feeding rabbit, raw or cooked
I wouldn't be consulting a vet about canine nutrition. . . . the majority seem to be worse than useless.

AMEN TO THAT!

I never cook anything for my dogs. I always feed raw. They are dogs for God sake! I think about half the skin is good to give the dogs (or all of it, whatever). Raw bones are great for dogs. Cooked bones (esp. chicken, rabbit) are very dangerous.

Cooking is such a waste of good meat. It kills all the enzymes for digestion and some nutrients.

There was actually a test done on cats once - A guy fed one group cooked meat all their lives and the second group raw meat all their lives. The ones fed cooked meat couldn't even reproduce after the 3rd generation and the cats were deformed.

BOLLOCKS

I wouldn't be consulting a vet about canine nutrition. . . . the majority seem to be worse than useless.

Very strange, You wouldnt consult a vet, yet you would ask for peoples adive on here, lol. !!! After the flirt pole workout with my little (50lb) bitch, I noticed she was a bit lame in both back legs..

Couldn't find owt wrong by manipulation and was a tad perplexed...

Then I brushed one of her feet lightly and she reacted instantly.. took a closer look and she's got flaps of pad hanging off her feet (off the big pad, not the littluns)... only way I can describe it is like if she'd had a blister and the edges had burst leaving quick a think flap of skin...

Now she's not had this before so I'm at a bit of a loss of how to fix it. The only possible reason I can think of is that I've cut their roadwork back lately so their pads may have softened??

Is this likely?

Is there an easy 'fix'? (aside from going back to a lot of road-work, which she doesn't really enjoy so much).

--------------------

k for peoples advice on here. lol......

Very strange, You wouldnt consult a vet, yet you would ask for peoples adive on here,

Not quite sure why you'd reply twice to the same post but hey. .

And could you highlight where, exactly, I've asked for nutritional advice on here?

Then I brushed one of her feet lightly and she reacted instantly.. took a closer look and she's got flaps of pad hanging off her feet (off the big pad, not the littluns)... only way I can describe it is like if she'd had a blister and the edges had burst leaving quick a think flap of skin...

Now she's not had this before so I'm at a bit of a loss of how to fix it. The only possible reason I can think of is that I've cut their roadwork back lately so their pads may have softened??

Is this likely?

Is there an easy 'fix'? (aside from going back to a lot of road-work, which she doesn't really enjoy so much).

What happened to your 'good bloke' vet in the family?

Only time this has happened to one of mine is when I'd not road-walked them much for a while and I'd flirted them on dry ground.

I put it down to soft pads, the flappy skin dried up and I cut it off and I got back to some road walking.

Adog needs worming every month if it is eating raw animals....

In my experince, i have never found the need to worm every month, when feeding raw.

example,come home from lamping, dry the dog off if wet, fresh drinking water, chuck a rabbit in with the lurcher, still warm usually, go to bed lol, worm mine every 3 months, always have done,been doing this for 20 years, never had a problem, same goes with russels and other breeds of workingdogs, as for bringing the rabbit back, mine brings it back with in 10, 15 feet of me, as he dont have much respect for rabbits they usualy dead,or going through the last phases,he does not mean to kill them, just a little hard mouthed, and once he has brought them back to me, he has no interest in the rabbit on the floor, quite often its twitching or trying to run, he drops them for me when i approach him, keep it as natural as possible i say, and never have i had a problem with coat condition with dogs with feeding raw and the whole rabbit, also squirrels go in as they are, pigeons , pheasents,go in skinned, but i have found that some dogs dont like them raw, so i have cooked them as one would cook them for them self, did not get home until 4 this morning, rabbits are in the shed, 6 this evening, clean runs out, and pick them up give to each dog as they are, each to there own and everyone has there opinions, dogs not got those sharp teeth for crunching biscuit, or did not have there meat cooked for them generations ago, dogs got where they are now by eating animals that was not gutted skinned for them and cooked, but again each to there own opinions

Always feed raw to my dogs, Paunch them as soon after they are caught as possible, remove skin feet and head (ideally on the field - saves putting the crap into the recycling bin and causing all sorts of problems) then cut in half and Freeze. The front piece still contains the liver and heart.

About 8 hours before feed time I put 1 piece on a small amount of dry food with a splash of cod liver oil and leave it to defrost - They love it.

Oh and I find worm every 3 months is adequate.

Is this likely?

Only time this has happened to one of mine is when I'd not road-walked them much for a while and I'd flirted them on dry ground.

I put it down to soft pads, the flappy skin dried up and I cut it off and I got back to some road walking.

ABDog, that wasnt me, lol... Read closely..... Dont know what your on about....

Lol, i would agree with you there ABDog, but the vet is my brother in law, and he is a descent bloke... He just asked me how i fed the rabbits, when i told him i boiled them, he just mentioned it being the best way. As worms would be a problem....

Its not hard to boil a rabbit, i know it is easier to throw it a raw one, it is also easy to throw your dog in a pen and not towel it down after working in mud and rain, who would do that! ummmmm, i wonder. ;)

Is this likely?

The quotes are all from your posts mate. . . erm...lol...

Lol, i would agree with you there ABDog, but the vet is my brother in law, and he is a descent bloke... He just asked me how i fed the rabbits, when i told him i boiled them, he just mentioned it being the best way. As worms would be a problem....

Its not hard to boil a rabbit, i know it is easier to throw it a raw one, it is also easy to throw your dog in a pen and not towel it down after working in mud and rain, who would do that! ummmmm, i wonder. ;)

Is this likely?

The quotes are all from your posts mate. . . erm...lol...

What, i copied and pasted it out of you posts! take alook, lol...... i wa sasking the question, why you would consult non qualified peopleand not qualified...

What, i copied and pasted it out of you posts! take alook, lol...... i wa sasking the question, why you would consult non qualified peopleand not qualified...
F**king hell dude, replying to you is likely to make my eyes bleed.

The quotes are within quotes, I have replied to YOUR posts, not mine.

Forget it, you obviously struggle with some aspects of forum usage. :rolleyes:

Sorry but i disagree, vets do not always know what is best nutritionally for a dog.

I have had to explain Barf to a vet once.

Vets are sponsored by the major pet food manufacturers and are subsequently spoonfed information (read : brainwashed) by them during their training.

I have zero interest in discussing canine nutrition with a vet, I have access to just about anything I need to know on the subject.

F**king hell dude, replying to you is likely to make my eyes bleed.

The quotes are within quotes, I have replied to YOUR posts, not mine.

Forget it, you obviously struggle with some aspects of forum usage. :rolleyes:

Lol, it was your post called "sore feet"

AMEN TO THAT!

I never cook anything for my dogs. I always feed raw. They are dogs for God sake! I think about half the skin is good to give the dogs (or all of it, whatever). Raw bones are great for dogs. Cooked bones (esp. chicken, rabbit) are very dangerous.

Cooking is such a waste of good meat. It kills all the enzymes for digestion and some nutrients.

There was actually a test done on cats once - A guy fed one group cooked meat all their lives and the second group raw meat all their lives. The ones fed cooked meat couldn't even reproduce after the 3rd generation and the cats were deformed.

Probably better to read the paper before depending on it lol. It was a very poor study and based on cats not dogs + plus yes they could breed but there was an increase in birth deformaties that was as likely due to inherited rather than feeding factors.

Some ask for evidence that cooked is better than rare how about evidence that rare is better than cooked?

I feed raw butchers waste and rarely get probs with worms. Raw rabbits give worms and to common worming isn't to good for dogs so I would recomend freezing. Lastly cooking doesn't do any harm in fact alows better digestion of many nutrients so recon it's down to personal choice.