• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxhunter, yes I shoot them with rifle, but I would use any method preferably dogs, I'm not siding with one over another as everyone is entitled to do as they want and everyone is entitled to an opinion... I'm not knocking you or anyone else whatsoever, so don't take it the wrong way...

To be truthfully honest, I'm starting to get sick of this internet after all this time, I try to be open minded and fair with people, but you've just got to accept you will never keep everyone happy all of the time......

Good Hunting Whatever Your Sport :thumbs:

As someone who works dogs ,both terriers and lurchers and shoots aswell ,i can comment fairly on this .There is a world of difference in killing a fox for sport or carrying out all year round control .We hammer the population around us but there is always the same the following year ,if not more .For a dogman to say theres no skill in lamping with a rifle , then they surely havent done any which puts them in no position to comment in the first place .All methods have a place but the gun is what keeps the population in check .This government has had a big part to play in shaping what is now the prefered method but we must never lose the others as they are part of us .Whatever you do ,do it well and enjoy it .

So the shooting guys reckon the doggy boys come on the shooting board and ruin it for everyone?

The point I'm making is that in the real world (not the inter-net) the lamping brigade are ruining it for everybody.

How can I comment on this? I've done a lot of lamping and in the last month I've had six call outs to deal with problem foxes.

But I go to where the fox is the problem and not drive around the road shinning a light over the ditches.

I've no problem with sportingly shooting a fox but turning it into a numbers game IMO is going to ruin it for everyone, the lampers included.

I can't comment on Britain but here in Ireland lamping has quickly become a cowboys sport and someones going to get killed. It's nothing to do with pest control and as a matter of fact things have been made very hard for those of us that have to deal with problem foxes.

I'm a supporter of all fieldsport and our way of life and this is why I get annoyed with boasting of big tallys and graphic pictures etc. etc.

Also I am well entitled to come on here and comment on shooting as I do a lot of shooting myself.

JMHO.

.................................What annoys me ,as a controller of foxes ,is the dog lads that run foxes for fun with second rate dogs that have no hope at all and then consequently make that fox lamp shy for the rifle . :whistling:

You see, it is a circle that happens everywhere .Only those willing to put in the hours will get a good tally and Foxy is one of those lads that do the hours .Nothing wrong with keeping score as it gives you some idea of whether your doing a constant control job or whether you need to step it up on last years performance .If you are trying to control foxes with the use of a lurcher as a mainstay then you are deluding yourself and qite frankly mate ,if you only respond to a problem fox then you are not preventing it happening in the first place .

Edited by foxdropper
So the shooting guys reckon the doggy boys come on the shooting board and ruin it for everyone?

The point I'm making is that in the real world (not the inter-net) the lamping brigade are ruining it for everybody.

How can I comment on this? I've done a lot of lamping and in the last month I've had six call outs to deal with problem foxes.

But I go to where the fox is the problem and not drive around the road shinning a light over the ditches.

I've no problem with sportingly shooting a fox but turning it into a numbers game IMO is going to ruin it for everyone, the lampers included.

I can't comment on Britain but here in Ireland lamping has quickly become a cowboys sport and someones going to get killed. It's nothing to do with pest control and as a matter of fact things have been made very hard for those of us that have to deal with problem foxes.

I'm a supporter of all fieldsport and our way of life and this is why I get annoyed with boasting of big tallys and graphic pictures etc. etc.

Also I am well entitled to come on here and comment on shooting as I do a lot of shooting myself.

JMHO.

You are getting over excited.... and I talk of England......

50 is not a big score and it is not boasting ..it is called Vermin Control and is required by many landowners......and many of them also want to know the numbers so you have to keep score!!

You seem to be talking/suggesting sport, you and many others seem to get confused with sport and control! There is a big difference!!!

Vermin controllers do not spoil anything for anyone..it is a job required of the countryside, just like ploughing the fields, harvesting, etc!! You simply have to work around it!!!

It sounds to me as though your percieved problems come from inexperienced "sports" shooters, with little or no knowledge or care of shooting or the countryside! There are useless dog boys too!!!

Me and David went lamping the other night and landed fox No 50 of this year.

FD we went to the place I took you first where you shot a fox. Remember that 1st fox we squeaked in , well it was in the same place but didnt hang around this time :censored:

We then lamped the other side of the farm where we saw nowt and I spied this one a good 300 yards away , I called and it came in a treat , straight down the beam to around 100 yds which is when David dropped it :clapper:

post-29-1222975626.jpg

well done lads keep at it

lb

JMHO.

You are getting over excited.... and I talk of England......

50 is not a big score and it is not boasting ..it is called Vermin Control and is required by many landowners......and many of them also want to know the numbers so you have to keep score!!

You seem to be talking/suggesting sport, you and many others seem to get confused with sport and control! There is a big difference!!!

Vermin controllers do not spoil anything for anyone..it is a job required of the countryside, just like ploughing the fields, harvesting, etc!! You simply have to work around it!!!

It sounds to me as though your percieved problems come from inexperienced "sports" shooters, with little or no knowledge or care of shooting or the countryside! There are useless dog boys too!!!

And so say all of us :wallbash:

Well I for 1 think they are doing a grand job of it.. Lucky sods :clapper:

I would be lucky to see a fox on any of my shoots,, not saying they arnt there,,, and the farmers havnt a problem with them. Its just that I dont get chance of any lamping, not enough time with that four letter word...WORK.... :thumbdown: Oh and then its this Misses "your not going shooting afgain are you" :icon_eek:

John